Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

I don't think Hershey makes anymore chocolates here. I remember reading about them closing the Peppermint Patty mfg in the US and moving it to Mexico (I think) so I went out and bought my last Hershey's bag of chocolate.

I now get Cadbury..the imported stuff from the UK, not the cheap Hershey imitation though.
I figure the UK could use some economic help rather then Made in Mexico Hershey.

Now if Hershey does buy Cadbury..I'm watching that one closely...very closely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 10:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
If you typed your response using ANY Windows based PC you are supporting the outsourcing of American jobs overseas. Microsoft utilizes both American-based and foreign-based software developers. Can't say for sure, but I suspect Apple does the same.

Ken
Apple software is US based. Their HW/iPods though are assembled overseas.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:55 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
If you typed your response using ANY Windows based PC you are supporting the outsourcing of American jobs overseas. Microsoft utilizes both American-based and foreign-based software developers. Can't say for sure, but I suspect Apple does the same.

Ken
boy ya just cant win anymore. oh well keep trying

Old 01-14-2010, 10:56 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,580 times
Not if I can help it.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:58 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
I would like to buy more American made product but:

1) EVERYTHING is made in effin China or whatever else
2) Even if I find something made in the USA, it is more expensive. I cannot afford it as I have been getting 7 hours a week making 9 bucks an hour.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:11 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Apple software is US based. Their HW/iPods though are assembled overseas.
Microsoft software is US based too - but PARTS of it are developed overseas. In any event whether it be software or hardware - as a whole it involves overseas labor - that's a fact of life nowadays. Same is true of vehicles - even so-called "American" made models.

And for those who blame the unions - think again. Most of the work that is sent overseas was never union-based to begin with. Outsourcing and offshoring his nothing to do with unions or high US taxes. It's almost entirely the result of 2 things:

1) Cheaper labor overseas (far cheaper than even non-union labor here in the US)
2) The increasing desire of foreign countries to "share" in the economic advantages of trade. A US firms wants entry to foreign market? "Fine" that nations' government says - "...but the product must be assembled here" - or "fine... but your company must subcontract some of the work to suppliers here", etc, etc, etc.

These two factors play a huge part in driving US production overseas - not US unions and NOT US labor laws or US environmental laws or US taxes.

The days of the US being the sole provider of products - even highly sophisticated products - is over. The rest of the world has grown up now too - and those nations want to share in the wealth that America previously held as a near monopoly.

And in all fairness, I can't say as I blame them.

Ken

Old 01-14-2010, 11:15 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
I'd settle for "Made in Mexico"
at least we can somewhat benefit if Mexico's becomes an industrialized country.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:15 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
NO....This is one of the reasons that for every 6.4 americans looking for work there is only one job.. The jobs have been sent to other countries. And the few jobs left have been stolen by illegal aliens who claim its their job cause they found it first..

Old 01-15-2010, 10:48 AM

358 posts, read 821,325 times
We have a global economy and we have to live with the consequences. If Americans won't work for what the business owner feels he can afford to pay to make his product and maximize his profit, then the manufacture of the product will go elsewhere. Can't blame the business owner - he's in business to make as much money as possible. The only thing we can do is to refuse the buy the product if we don't like where it's made.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:01 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Do you support businesses who outsource jobs to other countries?

What does the question mean?

Do I cheer and rah-rah when XYZ Corp moves a factory [Insert Name of 3rd World Country] in order to make more and save more money? No, I think it unfortunate but recognize that nearly every major corporation in the world does this to some extent at least.

Do I refuse to buy any products from XYZ Corp because they have a factory in [Insert Name of 3rd World Country]? No, I do not think that possible even if it were desireable.

Last edited by Moth; 01-15-2010 at 11:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies