Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should US get out of Afganistan
Yes 12 54.55%
No 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2010, 04:42 AM

4,434 posts, read 6,961,986 times

Advertisements

I actually agree with the article by George Will

George F. Will - Time for the U.S. to Get Out of Afghanistan - washingtonpost.com

The present US adminstration is following a policy similar to Vietam was as they believed increasing the amount of troops can bring victory, however I believe this mission will fail.

What do you guys think?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 05:40 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,749,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I actually agree with the article by George Will

George F. Will - Time for the U.S. to Get Out of Afghanistan - washingtonpost.com

The present US adminstration is following a policy similar to Vietam was as they believed increasing the amount of troops can bring victory, however I believe this mission will fail.

What do you guys think?
Quote:
the Economist describes President Hamid Karzai's government -- his vice presidential running mate is a drug trafficker -- as so "inept, corrupt and predatory" that people sometimes yearn for restoration of the warlords, "who were less venal and less brutal than Mr. Karzai's lot."
The time to realize this is another Vietnam was BEFORE we committed ourselves to be there. The time to realize our foreign policy should avoid installing a dictator du jour is the moment we think it will ever work.

Our presence there created a bigger mess than they started with- now it's our mess. Now we're responsible. The only real choice we have now is to improve goals and strategies, and have a clear exit plan in hand. Modest ambitions work best. Surgical strikes work better.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:41 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,243,055 times
I think that if you support ObamaBush like a good lemming should, you MUST support the war. That is, until he decides to withdraw. Then you must change your mind.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:42 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxQ_BOC6hwU

Old 01-15-2010, 05:56 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,876,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
The time to realize this is another Vietnam was BEFORE we committed ourselves to be there. The time to realize our foreign policy should avoid installing a dictator du jour is the moment we think it will ever work.

Our presence there created a bigger mess than they started with- now it's our mess. Now we're responsible. The only real choice we have now is to improve goals and strategies, and have a clear exit plan in hand. Modest ambitions work best. Surgical strikes work better.
when was continuing bad policy ever a good idea? yeah, get even more US allies killed when we pull out, and WE WILL PULL OUT. our president has already promised as much and we are not going to be responsible for those left behind.

as for our actions now, drones kill civilians, but nobody wants to think about the "collateral damage".

Old 01-15-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
PERFECT! Nail on the head about foriegn policy.

Thing is, flippant talk about pulling out of Afghanistan as if people just got bored with an old pair of jeans or don't like their nintendo game anymore... this isn't a game. War is life or death, to the bitter end, and shouldn't be entertained lightly, based on BS evidence or out of drunken anger. Can't have a disney ending so we'll just move along?

Old 01-15-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
PERFECT! Nail on the head about foriegn policy.

Thing is, flippant talk about pulling out of Afghanistan as if people just got bored with an old pair of jeans or don't like their nintendo game anymore... this isn't a game. War is life or death, to the bitter end, and shouldn't be entertained lightly, based on BS evidence or out of drunken anger. Can't have a disney ending so we'll just move along?
We're out of money. Thus, Afghanistan and our hopes to conquer Central Asian oil is going to end BADLY (for us). Russia and China will get to divide the goods. We could end up with a true dictator to relieve us from the ensuing hyperinflation, just as Germany did in the 30's when they were begging for relief.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
when was continuing bad policy ever a good idea? yeah, get even more US allies killed when we pull out, and WE WILL PULL OUT. our president has already promised as much and we are not going to be responsible for those left behind.

as for our actions now, drones kill civilians, but nobody wants to think about the "collateral damage".
Are you planning on following me around in threads all day?
I didn't say anything about continuing bad policy, you did. I said change it. The voices in your head are not my problem.

We will pull out when reasonable military objectives are reached.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Are you planning on following me around in threads all day?
I didn't say anything about continuing bad policy, you did. I said change it. The voices in your head are not my problem.

We will pull out when reasonable military objectives are reached.
No we won't.

Trans-Afghanistan Pipeline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-15-2010, 06:27 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,627,700 times
TAP is the key to our policy. The oil companies want to have a central government strong enough to provide security for their investment and are willing to bribe the government to pay part of the cost. The problem with this is simple. Protection against small groups or individuals determined to damage the pipe is impossible to provide unless there is cooperation from all the people living along the pipeline. Owning the central government will not help. The pipeline owners will have to buy protection from each and every tribe, and the dissidents, disaffected and just ornery, politicians and brigands that would destroy the pipe for money or spite. The oil companies figure this would cost far more than they want to pay.

I suggest this is not a military matter but a commercial problem. I think the oil pipeline owners can take the time to negotiate passage fees from the tribes along the pipe with some consideration for bribing the Kabul government. We do not need our military to waste our soldiers or wealth to protect a privately owned pipeline to save the owners money. They are businessmen and the Afghani Tribes are businessmen. Let them figure it out a mutually acceptable price for the protection of the investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies