Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:24 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,370,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
That's the issue. A burka hides identity, and who knows what else. It's a security issue.
There is no law saying I can't walk down the street with a ski mask on.

If an officer asks, I remove it for them to verify my ID.

The issue, is this law bans burqas period, no room for them, none. So instead of passing a law that would allow someone their freedom of choice, and still protecting the public good, they passed a law that infringes on a minorities religious beliefs, all in the name of "womens rights".

But again, its not my country, they can do what they want. If it is proposed here, I'll fight it in every way I can. And I'm not Muslim, and personally find those things ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 12:41 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,266,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
DONE! BBC News - French MPs vote to ban Islamic full veil in public

Glad France showed some backbone on this one. Those who think that France should allow women to wear a face-covering veil....go talk to Saudi Arabia. Women can't even drive- is THAT ok???
This affects you how?
If it's not your country/culture, why would it bother you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
If a Western women goes to Saudi Arabia she dons their clothing out of respect for beliefs she thinks are horrendous. When they come to the West they should affod us the same respect.
Saudi is a muslim NATION; we are not a country that requires certain dress; nor are we a country that is based on one religion.
A western woman does not have to dress in a burka in Saudi; she should cover her arms and legs as cultural respect.
I see women trying to get into churches in Europe with spaghetti straps and short shorts; they're turned away.
It's a matter of complying with culture.
Do you make the Amish wear different clothing because you don't like what they wear? How about Hassidic Jews? Do you force women to uncover their hair?

Old 07-19-2010, 12:49 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,266,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Banning while driving is a good thing. However, complete bans are wrong.

If I want to walk around in my back yard with a yellow banana hanger on, and nothing else, thats my business.
Maybe, it is; maybe it isn't.
Do you have a fence or nearby neighbors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Been to a city FOR rioting??cant say i have...
Why should any country accept anyone who doesnt want to..
Become part of that society.
For all the problems with immigration in Europe i fail to see the benefits.
What do you know about the problems in Europe? Do you live here? Or are you reading US news?
Your snide comment about "French youth rioting" (spacing and punctuation mine) neglects to look at the US, where it is not uncommon to have rioting after sports events.
Easy to condemn others for what your countrymen do as well.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:06 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,443,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Maybe, it is; maybe it isn't.
Do you have a fence or nearby neighbors?

What do you know about the problems in Europe? Do you live here? Or are you reading US news?
Your snide comment about "French youth rioting" (spacing and punctuation mine) neglects to look at the US, where it is not uncommon to have rioting after sports events.
Easy to condemn others for what your countrymen do as well.
You act like the rioting over some sports events are common place. If you pay attention, it is a certain group that always does it.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:26 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,960,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I support having to expose one's face for photo driver's license/ID card purposes and not driving with any impairment to one's vision.

Other than that, cover up all you want, if you wish.
You DO know that public streets on most Western countries are fighting (AND HAVE CAUGHT) terrorism with face recognition technology? The U.S. is included in this.

This is why there are now laws preventing the wearing of masks in certain vulnerable cities.

Do you really want to allow a uniform that can be adopted by man or woman, Muslim or not, and camouflage both face and body for the wearing of bombs?

I think in this issue the public good must supercede religious concerns.

I think people - anyone - who are up to no good would be nuts not to take advantage of the burka, even bank robbers, for goodness' sake.

I know we like to be all feely and liberal in these religious issues, but this one just crosses the line for me.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Orthodox Jews practice things that the large majority of people who follow their faith don't, yet they are still allowed to not work on Saturdays, and lots of other things that I find kind of strange.

Maybe their daughters want to drive a car on Saturday, but daddy won't let them?

Should we enact a law making them ignore their religious law.

Freedom of religion in our country (not France), means you accept even the fringe religious beliefs, as long as they hurt no one else.
These issues pose no threat to the safety of the public. They are not national security threats.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Wrong. There ARE such laws.

They can wear burkas, just not in public places.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
This affects you how?
If it's not your country/culture, why would it bother you?

Saudi is a muslim NATION; we are not a country that requires certain dress; nor are we a country that is based on one religion.
A western woman does not have to dress in a burka in Saudi; she should cover her arms and legs as cultural respect.
I see women trying to get into churches in Europe with spaghetti straps and short shorts; they're turned away.
It's a matter of complying with culture.
Do you make the Amish wear different clothing because you don't like what they wear? How about Hassidic Jews? Do you force women to uncover their hair?
I agree. It is out of respect that we dress the way our hosts expect us to. They should do the same for us. Hassidim and Amish do NOT COVER THEIR FACES, and their attire makes it hard to smuggle bombs on their bodies. NOT SO with burkas. Total coverage to camaflage both face and body. Again it is a SECURITY problem to protect the public, not a hatred of the burka or Muslims, per se.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:47 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,722,819 times
I feel insulted when someone I have to do with covers their face. The face with all its mimics is vital to communication, thus it is unfair to hide one's face, like an attempt to lie.

I don't even talk to people who don't remove their Miami Vice sunglasses when talking to me.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:53 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,028,583 times
Quote:

If an officer asks, I remove it for them to verify my ID.

The issue, is this law bans burqas period, no room for them, none. So instead of passing a law that would allow someone their freedom of choice, and still protecting the public good, they passed a law that infringes on a minorities religious beliefs, all in the name of "womens rights".

But again, its not my country, they can do what they want. If it is proposed here, I'll fight it in every way I can. And I'm not Muslim, and personally find those things ugly.
But will the woman wearing a burqa remove the face covering? Since the whole purpose of a burqa is to completely hide a woman from everyone outside her family, no. That's the security threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies