Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:08 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
France fell apart when it allowed liberalism into it's country.
That is a disgusting comment.

Can't you EVER post anything stable?

Protecting themselves from people who don't like freedom? It can argued that YOU don't like freedom either by not letting people practice religion. Which is Islam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 01:13 PM

731 posts, read 776,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
roflol
You can find this funny, but when the Arabic and African governments start enforcing their laws on westerners there, then you would know how it feels.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:16 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhman92 View Post
Thats wrong, everyone should be free to wear whatever he/she wants, because when westerners go to the middle east, africa, etc the governments dont force them to follow the laws of the country.
That's true. Unfortunately a lot of women are FORCED to wear the veil by their husband, father, brother or other overbearing misogynist male family members.

To better understand the oppression that a lot of Muslim women endure, read "Reading Lolita in Tehran".

Old 01-16-2010, 01:19 PM

731 posts, read 776,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
That's true. Unfortunately a lot of women are FORCED to wear the veil by their husband, father, brother or other overbearing misogynist male family members.

To better understand the oppression that a lot of Muslim women endure, read "Reading Lolita in Tehran".
Most women prefer to wear it, i know and im not making this up, because i have seen this with my own eyes, so im not going to be lying to you, maybe in some cases but the vast majority of them prefer to wear it anyways.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:20 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
This thread reminded me of the controversy here in the US when DMV insisted on Muslims exposing their faces for their driver's licenses/i.d. That was a no-brainer, as far as I'm still concerned, and didn't merit protest. (Can't say I know of the results; anyone out there know?)

Old 01-16-2010, 01:28 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,606,127 times
The majority of people carrying the full veil are not immigrant, they are french and born in France.
A very signifant part are convert.

In France the very religious people showing it in public area does not have a good reputation because religion is seen as something private.
I remember a guy being mocked in a bus because he was talking of jesus and god on the phone.

The christain being calm (after being almost massacred and banned), now it is the muslims that are seen as a threat.
Why ? Because people believe that the islam will be like the christianism once.
Of course, this is fear is useless in France where the majority of muslims are secular and don't really care of the religions as the majority of the population.
But still old and conservative people are quite afraid about it, the majority of the french population don't care.
Ban or no ban will not change something for them, what they want is more jobs, more money etc...

Anyway France will not ban the full veil, the governement move closer to it because it is soon the regional election.
Almost everything is permitted according this party (as the other) to attract new voter and win the majority of region possible. (they actually only have 2 out 26)

After the election, seeing the dificulty to ban the full veil, they will abandon the idea.
It happen many time with other idea and will rehappen.

Welcome in France politics : many talk, very few acting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The United States is a dynamic culture, built on immigration and blending of cultures and races.

France is not. Sweden is not. Germany is not.
It is quite wrong modern France since the revolution was build with immigration. (At time it has the lowest fertility rate in the world and truly needed of worker, so millions of europe came form italy, poland, spain belgiumetc...)
Nicolas Sarkozy is itself the son of an hungarian immigrant.

Anyway before France was more on assimilation with harsh method than multiculturalism.

Thinking that France is homogenious or was once homogenious is very far to the truth.
What is true is that mainland France had been all white but I never knew this period and not even my parent.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:39 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
"Europe is so much more liberal and tolerant than the United States"
-Poorly Traveled Naive American

Old 01-16-2010, 01:42 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
The majority of people carrying the full veil are not immigrant, they are french and born in France.
A very signifant part are convert.

In France the very religious people showing it in public area does not have a good reputation because religion is seen as something private.
I remember a guy being mocked in a bus because he was talking of jesus and god on the phone.

The christain being calm (after being almost massacred and banned), now it is the muslims that are seen as a threat.
Why ? Because people believe that the islam will be like the christianism once.
Of course, this is fear is useless in France where the majority of muslims are secular and don't really care of the religions as the majority of the population.
But still old and conservative people are quite afraid about it, the majority of the french population don't care.
Ban or no ban will not change something for them, what they want is more jobs, more money etc...

Anyway France will not ban the full veil, the governement move closer to it because it is soon the regional election.
Almost everything is permitted according this party (as the other) to attract new voter and win the majority of region possible. (they actually only have 2 out 26)

After the election, seeing the dificulty to ban the full veil, they will abandon the idea.
It happen many time with other idea and will rehappen.

Welcome in France politics : many talk, very few acting.

It is quite wrong modern France since the revolution was build with immigration. (At time it has the lowest fertility rate in the world and truly needed of worker, so millions of europe came form italy, poland, spain belgiumetc...)
Nicolas Sarkozy is itself the son of an hungarian immigrant.

Anyway before France was more on assimilation with harsh method than multiculturalism.

Thinking that France is homogenious or was once homogenious is very far to the truth.
What is true is that mainland France had been all white but I never knew this period and not even my parent.
That's not what was meant by "homogenious".

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
"Europe is so much more liberal and tolerant than the United States"
-Poorly Traveled Naive American
Well, they are. As I said above, it's viewed as discrimination against women.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:43 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
That's not what was meant by "homogenious".

Well, they are. As I said above, it's viewed as discrimination against women.
But NOT if the woman wants it. I know several Muslim woman that WANT to wear it.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:44 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
But NOT if the woman wants it. I know several Muslim woman that WANT to wear it.
Mostly it's forced upon her by the religion. BEcause they religion says so, they "want" it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies