Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:38 AM

994 posts, read 1,678,052 times

Advertisements

I was wondering..if this did pass..how would this be enforced? Would police be involved or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 08:41 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,523,061 times
Unlike Great Britian and German, France is determined to remain European. I see nothing wrong with this, besides, just in terms of public safety, how do you know if it is a woman or a robber? Am I becoming more conservative in my old age?

Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,806,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
They're "catching on", yes?
actually no, the US has not done this.....it goes against the constitution u ravage about

Old 01-17-2010, 09:09 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,806,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
in terms of public safety, how do you know if it is a woman or a robber? Am I becoming more conservative in my old age?
a woman or a robber.....

Old 01-19-2010, 06:05 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,254,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhman92 View Post
I will know because i came from the Middle east and i have girl cousins, relatives, friends, etc so i would know, its true some of them are forced to wear it, but most of them prefer to wear it. I know some girls who used to go out without hijab and now they're wearing it again, its a personal choice but most females prefer it.
Yes mrhman, I realise you are from the Middle East - from Yemen. I won't quarrel with what you have observed from your female relatives, but will share with you what I have read the last few days when researching the situation of women and the veil in Yemen. What I found most interesting were the number of women in Yemen that said they wore the veil because when they went out in public without it - which is what they preferred, they were harassed by people who thought it was their right to comment to strangers, that by not wearing the veil they "lacked sincerity as a Muslim woman".

Is not the hijab in Islam an expression of personal religious beliefs? is it not something that is to be decided on by the woman herself? Or is it something that the Koran says should legislated? If you have Muslim women, like many in Yemen for example, where wearing the veil is not required by law, but despite their personal preference, wear it to avoid being harassed by self-righteous judgmental observers, it is hardly indicative of free-choice and a sincere desire to wear the hijab. Nor should it be touted as such.

It is my understanding that the reasons for banning the hijab in France is to free the women who do not wish to wear it, but are forced to do so. It is true that this legislation effectively removes from women, who do want to wear it of their own accord, the right to do so. Apparently, the French government believes that protecting and freeing the women that are forced to wear it, is more important than not knowing who is doing it of free will and who hates it but is forced to wear it. I would have to agree with that logic.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:12 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,933,881 times
Quote:
You can find this funny, but when the Arabic and African governments start enforcing their laws on westerners there, then you would know how it feels.
Since when did Westerners ever get a free pass on the laws in Arabic and African countries?

Old 01-19-2010, 05:40 PM

731 posts, read 774,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Yes mrhman, I realise you are from the Middle East - from Yemen. I won't quarrel with what you have observed from your female relatives, but will share with you what I have read the last few days when researching the situation of women and the veil in Yemen. What I found most interesting were the number of women in Yemen that said they wore the veil because when they went out in public without it - which is what they preferred, they were harassed by people who thought it was their right to comment to strangers, that by not wearing the veil they "lacked sincerity as a Muslim woman".

Is not the hijab in Islam an expression of personal religious beliefs? is it not something that is to be decided on by the woman herself? Or is it something that the Koran says should legislated? If you have Muslim women, like many in Yemen for example, where wearing the veil is not required by law, but despite their personal preference, wear it to avoid being harassed by self-righteous judgmental observers, it is hardly indicative of free-choice and a sincere desire to wear the hijab. Nor should it be touted as such.

It is my understanding that the reasons for banning the hijab in France is to free the women who do not wish to wear it, but are forced to do so. It is true that this legislation effectively removes from women, who do want to wear it of their own accord, the right to do so. Apparently, the French government believes that protecting and freeing the women that are forced to wear it, is more important than not knowing who is doing it of free will and who hates it but is forced to wear it. I would have to agree with that logic.
Sunshineleith, most females in Arabic/Muslim countries wear the veils because they want to wear it, 3 days ago in Egypt a group of females were not allowed to do their exam because they covered their faces, instead of taking it off, these girls protested and felt insulted by banning them to do the exam. If females today wanted to walk without burkas in the streets, the authorities would not be able to stop them because they've got the power to do that, but they don't want to do it, because the vast majority of them prefer to wear the hijab.

In Yemen, local Jewish females cover their faces, hands and body, this is not related to Islam only, in Israel you still have Yemenite Jewish females who prefer to wear the hijab. Same with some Christians, the female Christians in Ethiopia wear veils, because they prefer it.

All im trying to say is, my information would be more reliable then someone who lives in the west, and bases his information from the media.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:45 PM

731 posts, read 774,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Since when did Westerners ever get a free pass on the laws in Arabic and African countries?
Westerners get treated with respect by almost every government in the world, they get provided with everything they want, they dont get oppressed, most of them live a better life than a local citizen, even the females are not forced to cover their bodies or heads, they are free to do anything.

Sadly countries like France are trying to ban the burkas just because they feel its a sign of oppression, when Muslim women prefer to wear it, honestly where is the sign of oppression? If they face oppression then they could go to the authorities and the husband would be in big trouble.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:20 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,051,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
France fell apart when it allowed liberalism into it's country.

Now I see they are getting smart and protecting themselves from people who do not like people to have freedom.

Smart move.

Times are changing and France has finally caught on to it.

We cannot fight the new problems with old solutions of just being nice anymore.
WRONG.
France is paying the price of its "politics" toward North African countries.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:34 PM

232 posts, read 699,153 times
WTF???? have you ever been to Saudi Arabia??? the The wonderful dictatorship there requires all women to wear the traditional garbage bags with slits to cover themselves unless they are on the Aramco base...

Way to Go France there maybe hope for you after all...I doubt it...

Quote:
Thats wrong, everyone should be free to wear whatever he/she wants, because when westerners go to the middle east, africa, etc the governments dont force them to follow the laws of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies