Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 08:04 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,423,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post

There is no lie. Period. I know many very intelligent people that also feel the same and would not under any circumstance donate to a charity through some government re-direct.

To be perfectly honest, I would rather the government NOT have my IP address or the capability to see what webpages I have visited. No. Thank. You. A lot of information can be garnered from your IP address btw.
There is a lie. Period.

You're free not to let the government have your IP or anything else.

What Rush Limbaugh said is still a lie.

I'm done here. Hell will freeze and there'll be life on the sun before any of you admit you're wrong and that Rush lied to his audience in this exchange.

Have fun talking amongst yourselves. You seem to like the sound of your own ignorant rhetoric anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 08:31 PM

14,466 posts, read 11,246,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Try, sanrene, just try to stay focused here. This thread is about Rush Limbaugh intentionally lying about the inability to trust President Obama or the White House about donations made to the Red Cross via a link on the whitehouse.gov website. Period. Truly the mind boggles. Instead of repeating myself, since you clearly don't read for comprehension, let's try it this way. . .

Sanrene, when someone goes to whitehouse.gov with the intention of making a donation to the Red Cross for relief efforts in Haiti, who gathers that information and who collects the donation?

That's all I want to know from you. Just answer that question.
I think you can assume that Rush didn't know that the Whitehouse webpage linked directly to the ARC and move on.
I think you should also be aware that there are a lot of people who do not trust Obama. In fact there is a special little election that is going to take place here in Massachusetts on Tuesday which will absolutely be a referendum on the trust the American people have in Obama.
If Republican Scott Brown wins Ted Kennedy's senate seat, consider it a sorely needed wake up call.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:33 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,272,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene;12478782.
How can you lie when you're asking a question.
Oh?

Who will you beat first today? Your wife, or your kids?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:36 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,418,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I think you can assume that Rush didn't know that the Whitehouse webpage linked directly to the ARC and move on.
I think we can assume that Rush will say anything to raise the rabble. He's so good at it. No point trying to move, he'll just do it again tomorrow or the next day. It's what he gets all that money to do.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:17 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,312,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
I think we can assume that Rush will say anything to raise the rabble. He's so good at it. No point trying to move, he'll just do it again tomorrow or the next day. It's what he gets all that money to do.
Very true. He even said himself that he enjoys playing the media like a finely tuned violin or some such bs. THIS is what he does... he says something borderline controversial and then the media, blogs, message boards, etc. run with it and up, up, up go his ratings. It's all a game and everyone here is playing it.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:22 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,632,304 times
Quote:
Yes, whitehouse.gov is exactly like a phishing scam. And when they notify you that you're leaving their server before you've ever entered so much as a dot from your keyboard, they're really applying super secret mind-reading methods that only the government knows about.

Why is this so hard to understand?

When you go to whitehouse.gov and click a link that takes you to the Red Cross website (or now the clintonbushhaitifund website), YOU ARE GOING TO THAT ORGANIZATION'S WEBSITE AND DONATING TO THEM DIRECTLY.

This is why what Rush said is so dangerously hateful. Because he makes people like you believe that the whitehouse.gov site is the one collecting and distributing your contributions and THAT IS NOT TRUE. And RUSH LIMBAUGH KNOWS THIS.

That makes him an evil, hateful, nasty, knowing liar.
Well it just might be collecting information. I don't think you can say that they don't for sure.

Rush doesn't know anymore than I do or you do, but again Rush and I would rather donate directly to what we want than being a mindless person that needs whitehouse.gov to direct them there.

Just a personal choice and yes you can turn the caps off so you don't have a heart attack from all that screaming.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
18 pages of fighting the ignorance created by the LIE that Rush Limbaugh fed his audience. This is what makes him so dangerous. He lies and millions of stupid people believe those lies.

NO WEBSITE can collect your EMAIL ADDRESS or your MONETARY CONTRIBUTION if you DON'T TYPE IT IN THAT WEBSITE. And since you won't be typing your personal identifying information into the White House website, but to the charity's website, on THEIR SERVER, the White House CANNOT POSSIBLY OBTAIN THAT INFORMATION just because you surfed on through there while following a link.

They may know your IP address and your internet service provider. They may know what web page you were viewing before you entered their site. They may know what link you followed to leave their site, BUT THEY WON'T KNOW YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS OR FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTION INFORMATION.

DOESN'T

WORK

THAT

WAY
There are plenty of tracking cookies, rootkits and malicious software that can do all that. No problem. If they wanted to.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Very true. He even said himself that he enjoys playing the media like a finely tuned violin or some such bs. THIS is what he does... he says something borderline controversial and then the media, blogs, message boards, etc. run with it and up, up, up go his ratings. It's all a game and everyone here is playing it.
I think it's hysterical to actually see people nearly stroke out over what Rush says, true or untrue, opinion or fact. It makes me laugh to come in here and see all the Rush threads and all the paranoia and crazyness people get over a radio show.

It's a good sign you are winning when people get so red in the face and angry and can't stand their ideas being challenged.

And yes I love that he tweaks the self righteous and indignant media as well. As Rush says and similar to myself, he likes being facetious and I always enjoy the humorous aspect of the show.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:21 PM

46,891 posts, read 25,866,768 times
Quote:
Breathe deeply for a second. All sorts of websites collect all sorts of information when you visit them, even without you entering any personal information.
Ehm - no. Not unless you've allowed your system to become seriously compromised by some sort of malware. Browsers don't go out to read your information on their own.

Quote:
It CAN also garner your IP address, no?
Sure. The external IP address assigned to you by your ISP or company, likely to be shared by hundreds or thousands. Not the inside RFC 1918 IP address (most likely) used to specifically identify your computer locally. So in most cases, you need access to the ISP records to establish the identity of an individual computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
There are plenty of tracking cookies, rootkits and malicious software that can do all that. No problem. If they wanted to.
Tracking cookies don't work like that.

You can of course postulate the existence of some piece of malware using browsers as the infection vector with a 100% success rate, but none are currently known. So - ehm - quite a problem. And frankly, even if it were doable, your email address is not sufficiently important to risk the fallout.

Rush is feeding his audience's paranoia, is all. Why not - it's been a winning formula so far.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:13 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,209,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ehm - no. Not unless you've allowed your system to become seriously compromised by some sort of malware. Browsers don't go out to read your information on their own.

Sure. The external IP address assigned to you by your ISP or company, likely to be shared by hundreds or thousands. Not the inside RFC 1918 IP address (most likely) used to specifically identify your computer locally. So in most cases, you need access to the ISP records to establish the identity of an individual computer.

Tracking cookies don't work like that.

You can of course postulate the existence of some piece of malware using browsers as the infection vector with a 100% success rate, but none are currently known. So - ehm - quite a problem. And frankly, even if it were doable, your email address is not sufficiently important to risk the fallout.

Rush is feeding his audience's paranoia, is all. Why not - it's been a winning formula so far.
Thank you for the excellent technical information. If I remember correctly, you are pretty highly educated and skilled in that sort of thing, so it's good to hear such info from a reliable source; otherwise, some people just might succeed is achieving their constant goal of SCARING folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies