Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 02:13 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,941,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

To date, in parts of the 9th Ward of New Orleans:

There are homes that have not been touched since Katrina and Feral chickens are common place.
What's your point? Ever visit the 9th Ward and surrounding avenues prior to Katrina? They were run down dumps to begin with.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:18 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
What's your point? Ever visit the 9th Ward and surrounding avenues prior to Katrina? They were run down dumps to begin with.
love how people have to bring up irrelevant things like Bush having a birthday party with McCain, while they preach to us conservatives about discussing "important" things....

These are the same people who started threads about how Obama is doing better in his response to Haiti than Bush did responding to Katrina even though no one has landed to help 5 days later, and the same individuals who started threads titled "Obama kept us safer" 9/11/09.

They dont at all like it when tables are turned, do they? I take the personal attacks as a badge because it means that they've choked on their own hypocracy and have nothing else left..

Old 01-16-2010, 02:40 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post

Wrong. Blackhawk's only have a 350 mi. operating range on internal tanks. The more external tanks you put on to extend range, the less cargo you can carry. So by the time you put on external tanks the amount of cargo you can carry is negligible. Or you can do as the gov't. did, and wait the additional 24 hours and have C-17's and 130's which you had to divert from different airfields since the airport is too small for C-5's.

And if you go in and drop supplies, where are you going to drop them? Just indiscriminately all over the island? At designated drop points? Are the clear access areas to the drop points? Is there security? Is there damage to the roads leading to the drop points that could cause more fatalities? Are there points that could be put under gang/militia control like in Somalia who would then use the aid as power over the people to create loyalty?

Or you could do as the gov't did and wait 24 hours, coordinate exactly who is carrying what, what you have, where are you taking it and who is taking it and where is it going to be dispersed at.

But nah, you would just have them drop willy nilly and create even more problems with looting and rioting leading to more deaths and disarray.

Great job, there quest...or should I say brownie.
This is such an awesome post, filled with thoughtful and reasoned facts, that I thought it bore repeating. Good job!

Old 01-16-2010, 02:43 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,014,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
love how people have to bring up irrelevant things like Bush having a birthday party with McCain, while they preach to us conservatives about discussing "important" things....

These are the same people who started threads about how Obama is doing better in his response to Haiti than Bush did responding to Katrina even though no one has landed to help 5 days later, and the same individuals who started threads titled "Obama kept us safer" 9/11/09.

They dont at all like it when tables are turned, do they? I take the personal attacks as a badge because it means that they've choked on their own hypocracy and have nothing else left..
Quote:
I've never started an Obama thread. Nor did I vote for him or McCain or Bush.

The other poster stated they thought Bush was in
California at the time and I merely pointed out where he was and what he was doing

I don't even try to compare Katrina to Haiti. It is Apples and Oranges. The severity of Katrina's potential destruction had been reported for days before it hit (which means Bush either didn't have a clue what was going on, or didn't care) and Haiti's earthquake was sudden (no forewarning for ANYONE).

I had seen the 9th Ward of NO before Katrina, but
compassion after any disaster is not based on whether someone is impoverished or not. Folks should
realize there are people who are still hurting from our
own disaster and rebuilding should not be forgotten
there as well. I have donated to Haiti relief, but will
continue to donate for New Orleans rebuilding efforts.

Don't be paranoid to think every post made is a Right/Left
stab - sometimes it's just an observance

Old 01-16-2010, 02:44 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,739,775 times
Quote:
I know Bush was celebrating with McCain (his 69th birthday) in Arizona on August 29th, 2005

To date, in parts of the 9th Ward of New Orleans:

There are homes that have not been touched since Katrina and Feral chickens are common place.
Now that you mention it....I thought Obama was going to take care of the Katrina folks and most are still without a home, living in those little trailers and such. You are so right and how quickly we forget those in need.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:49 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
The other poster stated they thought Bush was in
California at the time and I merely pointed out where he was and what he was doing
I dont care if he was busy having gay sex in the bathroom at an airport.. You might be so concerend with him that his schedule is important, I however think differently, especially when it has no bearing upon the threads.
Quote:
I don't even try to compare Katrina to Haiti. It is Apples and Oranges. The severity of Katrina's potential destruction had been reported for days before it hit (which means Bush either didn't have a clue what was going on, or didn't care) and Haiti's earthquake was sudden (no forewarning for ANYONE).
Right back to where I expect you to be.. Your mean hateful spirited postings of a typical liberal.. "Bush didnt have a clue or care".. thanks for bringing me back to the point that liberals keep up with the nonsense even when faced with facts proving you are wrong.
Quote:
I had seen the 9th Ward of NO before Katrina, but
compassion after any disaster is not based on whether someone is impoverished or not. Folks should
realize there are people who are still hurting from our
own disaster and rebuilding should not be forgotten
there as well. I have donated to Haiti relief, but will
continue to donate for New Orleans rebuilding efforts.

Don't be paranoid to think every post made is a Right/Left
stab - sometimes it's just an observance
And Obama has been president for a year.. Can you list what he has done to help those areas devistated by Katrina? Or will you respond with, "Its all Bushs fault" like a good little liberal

Old 01-16-2010, 02:53 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,014,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Now that you mention it....I thought Obama was going to take care of the Katrina folks and most are still without a home, living in those little trailers and such. You are so right and how quickly we forget those in need.
It saddens me. I know Obama went down there in Oct '09 for the first time - but haven't kept up on what, IF, anything his administration is doing.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:55 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,941,704 times
Quote:
It saddens me. I know Obama went down there in Oct '09 for the first time - but haven't kept up on what, IF, anything his administration is doing.
They need to stop going down there. We're approaching 5 YEARS since this happened. How much time do you need to get your crap together people!!

Old 01-16-2010, 03:07 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,739,775 times
Quote:
They need to stop going down there. We're approaching 5 YEARS since this happened. How much time do you need to get your crap together people!!
With over $700,000,000,000 in stimulous money, you would think we could whip up a couple of Katrina Cottages. Have you seen those? They are so neat. Designed by a fantastic architect and I think Lowes or H.D sells them for $40,000 or less. We could put quite a few up right now.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:07 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,415 times
Quote:

"Administration officials noted that since taking office in January, their measures to speed up federal aid have already freed up more than $1 billion toward public infrastructure for Louisiana."

. . .

"The president was to be accompanied on the trip today by Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan, and Education Secretary Arne Duncan. The three Cabinet members have all made trips to the region already this year.

"In total, members of the president's Cabinet and senior administration officials have made 22 trips to Louisiana in 2009, but just five to Mississippi and four to Alabama."

. . .

"The Obama administration has been quick to highlight the work it has done in its first year -- including $2.3 billion in Recovery Act money to fund recovery projects in Louisiana. . ."

Obama to Visit New Orleans to Survey Katrina Recovery - ABC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.