Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 06:03 PM

634 posts, read 1,555,104 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how it is that the media and all the equipment, generators, etc get into Haiti and start broadcasting when at the same time they say food and water is slow to come in because there is no access from the airport or the ports?

What gives? How do they get in and food,water and medical supplies cannot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 06:09 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,596,613 times
Duh ;they provide their own transportation and everything else. Same way they get down when hurricanes hit or any disaster. From everything I have seen its often not getting the supplies to a airport but from there it gets really tough.We are talking enough food and supplies for 2 millon or more in just the capital.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:13 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,278,326 times
It only takes a helicopter to get a TV crew in. It takes plane after plane to fly in enough food and water before they can begin distributing food so they don't start a riot. They also have to load all those planes before they take off from the country of origin, and they need to get the U.N. peacekeepers in place first at food distribution sites.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:15 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,752,352 times
I hear they are more worried about security.
All the food and supplies are there. They just want to make sure they can safely get it to the people.

I don't see why they can't use a helicopter and slowly get food, water, medical supplies, etc. to certain areas.

I really hate that some people's lives are hanging in the balance all because SOME of the people want to be stupid and start riots. I know they are frustrated but rioting helps no one.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:25 PM

1,765 posts, read 7,312,848 times
Media have "go kits" and lots of cash to quickly cover stuff. They rent much of it (back here or in nearest place not impacted) and will pay dearly for anything they need.

The military and aide groups have millions to feed.

After you think of it that way, the answer is self evident. Also, just as soon as you get set up in country, some of the media folks start showing up and asking you for stuff.

Edit: Back in the 90s a reporter from the Post (photographer) broke from Army embed in Haiti (operation uphold democracy) and hired her own little protection/transportation force. She ended up with the best shots of the whole mess and won several awards.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:27 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,550,499 times
As far as the money part goes, everyone in the line gets a cut--before it gets to the people who need it.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:32 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,743,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
I was wondering how it is that the media and all the equipment, generators, etc get into Haiti and start broadcasting when at the same time they say food and water is slow to come in because there is no access from the airport or the ports?

What gives? How do they get in and food,water and medical supplies cannot?
The most effective form of delivery has been by boat traditionally but the ports are destroyed/ too unstable. Kind of like how efforts to help katrina were hampered when so many highways surrounding were clogged with downed trees.
You're correct in your criticism. Similar things happen when an earthquake happens in cali-- the whole world dials their buddy in california to find out if they're ok, never realizing they're severely straining phone lines and now people can't call for help because the system is on over drive. People do stupid things during emergencies all the time, never realizing the bigger picture. Red cross training is a good start for ordinary americans to see that bigger picture.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:35 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,623,595 times
I've been wondering about the whole situation. You don't hear squat about the Dominican Republic. They are a part of the same island and they have good working airports and roads that run right to Port au prince. I would imagine that logisticly, DR would be the place to organize relief efforts.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I really hate that some people's lives are hanging in the balance all because SOME of the people want to be stupid and start riots. I know they are frustrated but rioting helps no one.
Frustrated is putting it mildly. 40 odd yrs worth of people risking their lives as boat people to escape... their faith that any system could work is so badly battered for generations. Could you have a life in your home town if 'might makes right' ruled your state for 5 generations or better?

FYI As coast guard, I was instructed to punch your lights out if you became combative as I was trying to rescue you from drowning. Desperate people do stupid things. I'd rather not punch you out, but I would if I had to because your black eye and my potential injured hand is a lesser evil than us both drowning.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I've been wondering about the whole situation. You don't hear squat about the Dominican Republic. They are a part of the same island and they have good working airports and roads that run right to Port au prince. I would imagine that logisticly, DR would be the place to organize relief efforts.
As a stepping stone at best because the infrastructure of roads in both countries is severely limited. Think how alaska is set up, and how it makes for isolated pockets. Yes it is one Island, but the terrain is not conducive. Limited inroads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies