U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:01 AM

4,086 posts, read 4,728,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Pasta is boiled, right? You going to waste water on boiling food? There won't be a store to go to in a week if there is looting and how far do you think you would get trying to run with food?
How is it a waste of water to boil food? That's how you boil - with water. And the stores here have never closed more than a day, MAYBE 2 days once upon a time.

Quote:
Of course, those people with electric cars aren't getting very far...
We have gas cars.

Quote:
I believe it could happen here, however, this country is so big area-wise that a natural disaster in one location, doesn't cripple the rest of the country. You know, an earthquake in California doesn't put the military/law enforcement/doctors out in the other 56 states ( little Obama joke).
I believe it could happen where you are because it's poor and uncivilized there; but where I live, we are rich and civilized.

Quote:
If your house falls on you, tumbles into the canyon below or a highway/bridge crumbles while you are on it, it won't matter if you are rich or poor. All of the food and water stored in the basement isn't going to matter if the house is crumbled on top of it.
It wouldn't happen, my house is made of wood and concrete and strong stuff, it's not a mud hut like in Haiti or a trailerpark house like in Louisiana and Mississippi. We're rich and civilized here.

Quote:
My question is, would you help the people around you? If your house was gone but you survived, would you assist others? Would you dig people out, bury bodies, console people who lost their entire family, carry people to medical assistance, distribute food and water or would you just take care of yourself?
I really don't have to think about that unless I move somewhere uncivilized, like the south where they live in trailerparks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 07:07 AM

14,023 posts, read 8,911,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
LOL,

This isn't New Orleans.

Listen, I have no doubt that if we didn't have food, or water, or any supplies and help starting to come in after a week, things would start to break down.

However, from what all of the locals have told me, the folks who stay after a major Hurricane tend to band together. Its like a big community event, neighbors grilling for neighbors, if someone has a generator, they'll share the AC if they can.

Its not like you saw in New Orleans, people here are ready, and they know what to expect. New Orleans took so long, because it was a worst case scenerio, they weren't prepared, and it was the poorest of people there. That and it took over a week to get help to anyone there.

Really? How many disaster have you been around? I've been involved in several, both natural and man-made, and can tell you without reservation that you're living in a dream world. Rich and wealthy doesn't mean diddly squat when the world collapses around you. When it becomes dog eat dog, everyone turns into a dog.

As for those generators? LOL I've seen generators STOLEN by those good people more often than I have seen the power shared. And, it's not just in urban areas either. Just a couple of years ago, we worked a very destructive ice storm in the area around McAlester, OK (which can hardly be called urban) and the power was off in some places for a couple of weeks. Those "good" people were even stealing the emergency generators which work the signals at railroad crossings!

I'm not saying there isn't a great deal of sharing and helping each other out, there is because disasters also bring out the best in people, as well as the worst, but it has nothing to do with how wealthy, rural or prepared people are. It's what's in their hearts that matters then.

I hope you never get to see the things I've seen and get to hang onto your illusions forever. You REALLY don't want to see human beings when they are reduced to their base level.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:13 AM

14,598 posts, read 15,232,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny

New Orleans is poor and uncivilized, like Haiti. Where I live is rich and civilized. We would never have an earthquake or hurricane.

Well, no, New Jersey can and does get Hurricanes, and can and has been effected by earthquakes.

And also, there are trailer parks in New Jersey. Even in Bergen County.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:17 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,371,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I bet some of you believe they're down there making pacts with the devil as we speak.
Well, Pat Robertson said it so it must be true.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Well, no, New Jersey can and does get Hurricanes, and can and has been effected by earthquakes.

And also, there are trailer parks in New Jersey. Even in Bergen County.
None of that is true, we are rich and civilized.

Must be a slow day on Okeechobee Blvd...

Old 01-18-2010, 07:22 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,371,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post

Maybe you're rich, but I wouldn't go so far to say you are civilized. I've been to NJ, and there's a lot of skank there. Skanky, rude, intolerant, backwards, and generally nasty people rule the roost in NJ.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Maybe you're rich, but I wouldn't go so far to say you are civilized. I've been to NJ, and there's a lot of skank there. Skanky, rude, intolerant, backwards, and generally nasty people rule the roost in NJ.
Obviously, you've never been to New Jersey. But I'll give you a chance to prove it... Can you tell me what NJ's state breakfasts are, both hot and cold?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:16 AM

14,023 posts, read 8,911,313 times
Quote:
Obviously, you've never been to New Jersey. But I'll give you a chance to prove it... Can you tell me what NJ's state breakfasts are, both hot and cold?
A people who eat scrapple are suspect from the get go.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
A people who eat scrapple are suspect from the get go.
That's Philadelphians, and only by extension some South Jerseyans.

The breakfast unique to NJ is Taylor Ham (aka Pork Roll) with egg and cheese on a Kaiser Roll, typically with a good amount of Ketchup and black pepper. The simpler breakfast is just a butter kaiser roll.

I give you credit for knowing about Scrapple at all, though.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:33 AM

14,598 posts, read 15,232,566 times
Quote:

Interesting character development.

How's life in Ho-Ho-Kus? Or is it Hackensack?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies