Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:30 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,256,807 times

Advertisements

Whoa, look at the source of the link.
Let's see something credible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 04:38 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
when congress made the law stating that individuals could only buy insurance in the state they live in, they took the health care ball out of their hands and put it completely in the hands of the states.
Still bamboozled into believing that the insurance companies are the good guys, eh? Here's what those laws you hate do. They allow your state government to say, sure you can sell insurance in our state, but you can't go around scamming people and ripping them all off. So your operations are going to be overseen and regulated by a state commission, and by the way, here are some minimum standards that the policies you sell must meet. We've established these so that our citizens are assured of receiving at least some actual value in their policies, not just a bunch of evasive lawyer talk for how you are actually never going to pay off.

Enter a bunch of Republicans with their help-the-people plans. They want to remove a state's right to protect its citizens. They want to replace the standards that exist where the consumer lives with the standards that exist where the insurance company operates. Well, guess what. The weakest state standards in the country are currently those in Mississippi. YOUR insurance company will be headquartered in Mississippi. They may not be now, but they magically will be if state's rights are dropped. Won't last that long though, as somebody like Oklahoma will soon enough realize that they can get a boost to their tax base by luring a few insurance companies into the state/ So they pass insurance standards that are even weaker than those in Mississippi, and before you know it, you have a nice race-to-the-bottom to see how unregulated insuirance companies can actually become. Real good idea, huh...

Old 01-18-2010, 04:41 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,182,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Still bamboozled into believing that the insurance companies are the good guys, eh? Here's what those laws you hate do. They allow your state government to say, sure you can sell insurance in our state, but you can't go around scamming people and ripping them all off. So your operations are going to be overseen and regulated by a state commission, and by the way, here are some minimum standards that the policies you sell must meet. We've established these so that our citizens are assured of receiving at least some actual value in their policies, not just a bunch of evasive lawyer talk for how you are actually never going to pay off.

Enter a bunch of Republicans with their help-the-people plans. They want to remove a state's right to protect its citizens. They want to replace the standards that exist where the consumer lives with the standards that exist where the insurance company operates. Well, guess what. The weakest state standards in the country are currently those in Mississippi. YOUR insurance company will be headquartered in Mississippi. They may not be now, but they magically will be if state's rights are dropped. Won't last that long though, as somebody like Oklahoma will soon enough realize that they can get a boost to their tax base by luring a few insurance companies into the state/ So they pass insurance standards that are even weaker than those in Mississippi, and before you know it, you have a nice race-to-the-bottom to see how unregulated insuirance companies can actually become. Real good idea, huh...

not bamboozled at all, and please tell me when the liberal party has been so fired up about states rights?

also, if I was able to purchase insurance in any state I wished to, then I could buy it in any state I wished, and not have to buy some scam insurance from the state I live in.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:46 AM

Quote:
if this health care program is supposed to be soooooo good, then someone please explain to me why congress is not going to be on it?
What makes you think they won't be "on it"? The vast majority in Congress is insured under the Federal Employees Health Benefits Plan, which is an employer-based plan like any other. Some, but certainly not most, of the plans offered under FEHBP will for instance be subject to the cadillac-tax if that is in the final bill. So how do you figure they aren't "on it"???

Old 01-18-2010, 04:47 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,182,654 times
Quote:
What makes you think they won't be "on it"? The vast majority in Congress is insured under the Federal Employees Health Benefits Plan, which is an employer-based plan like any other. Some, but certainly not most, of the plans offered under FEHBP will for instance be subject to the cadillac-tax if that is in the final bill. So how do you figure they aren't "on it"???

wait and see, congress already believes they are part of the ruling elite and not subject to the same laws that us normal americans are.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
wait and see, congress already believes they are part of the ruling elite and not subject to the same laws that us normal americans are.
I see. You don't actually have any evidence at all and were just making inflated claims that had exactly nada. zip, nothing behind them. Great...

Old 01-18-2010, 04:55 AM

744 posts, read 1,208,630 times
Quote:

I guess this was the long way to say that we as a people are to stupid to make our own choices in life. I guess what my parents taught me as a kid with the old saying buyer beware would no longer apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies