Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:59 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,682,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Where are you talking about?

We are expecting freezing rain in Chi-town.

Where is the "warming"? Over here, its cold as all heck.
Wow. Freezing rain in Chicago in January. Shocking.

You're missing the entire point - Weather patterns have nothing to do with global warming. But so many post when it gets unseasonably cold as if it's evidence against global warming (just look at how many were laughing at Copenhagen protesters bundled up for the cold). I'm just curious what they believe an unseasonably warmfront means to them.

I don't think a warmfront means anything myself, but it must if a coldfront does. No one seems to have an answer.

Last edited by Bluefly; 01-20-2010 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
We obviously thought the hoax deniers wised up to the AGW scam. But if a few deniers are still abound, here is some more refuted claims you can chew on:

"U.N. climate chiefs apologize for glacier error"

They went on to say that they do not have enough data about "glacier change measurements" for anyone to make any claims about the glaciers in the Himalayas.
So, it's still melting, just not at the rate previously projected? Does that mean I can let my cow fart again?

You should really read articles before you post them. It completely refutes your argument:

Quote:
"Despite the admission, the IPCC reiterated its concern about the dangers melting glaciers present in a region that is home to more than one-sixth of the world's population.

'Widespread mass losses from glaciers and reductions in snow cover over recent decades are projected to accelerate throughout the 21st century, reducing water availability, hydropower potential, and changing seasonality of flows in regions supplied by meltwater from major mountain ranges (e.g. Hindu-Kush, Himalaya, Andes)...'

Speaking at the World Future Energy Summit in Abu Dhabi Wednesday, the IPCC chairman, Rajendra Pachauri admitted errors had been made but said it was not an excuse to question the legitimacy of all global warming science.

'Theoretically, let's say we slipped up on one number, I don't think it takes anything away from the overwhelming scientific evidence of what's happening with the climate of this earth,' he said, according to Agence France-Presse."

Looks like the scientists are still pretty overwhelmingly convinced. I'm not sure what expertise you bring to trump theirs. Then again, they do seem to have a thing for evolution too and everybody knows we were born on the back of the Great Mother Turtle.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:09 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,809,642 times
I see... its global warming if its warmer but when its colder it doesn't disprove global warming... what great logic you and your religion have...

Old 01-20-2010, 07:10 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,184,820 times
In febuary of 89 or 90 I recall some days in the high 70's low 80's.
Winters of 93,95,96 were pretty hard with a lot of snow. Same with 2001,2002, and 2003.
So what is the op's point?

Old 01-20-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Winters of 93,95,96 were pretty hard with a lot of snow. Same with 2001,2002, and 2003.
You're missing my point. The question no one seems able to answer is:

If unseasonably cold weather brings the global warming deniers out to make arguments that it's a hoax based on that weather, what, from their perspective, does unseasonably warm weather mean to them?

It has to mean something if one weather front has universal applicability. I want to know what warmer weather means to those who argue that cold weather means something.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:13 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,809,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
That they know very little about global warming... the OP's religion IS global warming... some people see "signs" in oil slicks, bread, or cookies... the OP see's the sign in mundane weather patterns...

Old 01-20-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I see... its global warming if its warmer but when its colder it doesn't disprove global warming... what great logic you and your religion have...
...no. It's never about weather patterns. It's about overall global change. So, incorrect.

Also - if science is overwhelmingly behind a concept, how is it a religion? Isn't it simply evidence that I am capable of putting politics and belief aside and trust the best data of research available to us now?

Isn't that what scientists do? What religion do you label them?

Old 01-20-2010, 07:14 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,011,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Wow. Freezing rain in Chicago in January. Shocking.

You're missing the entire point - Weather patterns have nothing to do with global warming. But so many post when it gets unseasonably cold as if it's evidence against global warming. I'm just curious what they believe an unseasonably warmfront means to them.

I don't think a warmfront means anything myself, but it must if a coldfront does. No one seems to have an answer.
for me a coldfront is normal. you see everything is normal where i live. i see no change over the last 57 years. back in 1982 i got a sunburn in january working outside without a shirt as a warmfront moved in but never since. good thing al wasnt around then the freak would have even more believers

Old 01-20-2010, 07:15 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,881,088 times
Quote:
So, it's still melting, just not at the rate previously projected? Does that mean I can let my cow fart again?

You should really read articles before you post them. It completely refutes your argument:
You're completely missing the point.

They have issued a correction on frivolous claims that somehow made it into the IPCC 4th Assessment report.

None of their prediction come true yet, we should believe what they say about the glaciers 100, 200, 300 years from now?

I believe its YOUR side of the issue that always tries to link weather and natural disasters with AGW - heat waves, flooding, drought, hurricanes always seem boil down to AGW.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
That they know very little about global warming... the OP's religion IS global warming... some people see "signs" in oil slicks, bread, or cookies... the OP see's the sign in mundane weather patterns...
Absolutely incorrect. Please stop twisting what I said to mean the opposite. I am the first to say weather patterns have nothing to do with global warming (at least on a micro level) - warm or cold.

I am simply wondering what people who believe cold weather patterns deny global warming say about unseasonably warm patterns. If they believe weather patterns are indicative, what is their assessment of warm?

Please answer so I can stop asking. Thanks - and just so we're clear I do NOT believe weather patterns are indicative of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies