Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 01:06 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,381,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
.........there is an American President who I wouldn't walk across the street to see. Also,...there is an American President who would not be welcome into my home.

I've never felt this way about another American President, although FDR would run a close second. And before all you race-card-players start pounding your keyboards,...let me say that race has no part in my statement,...I just abhor a President who constantly apologize for America on his travels, who proposes policies counter to what made this nation great, who has lied his way into the White House, and who has closely associated with people whose ideals oppose our way of life.
To be quite honest, it is understandable that you would not want an American president in your home since you are not an American anyway I don't think Obama or any American would want you to be allowed in the White House also. What country do you claim btw?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 01:08 AM

626 posts, read 992,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonSense1 View Post
This is an interesting one. This is the first time I have heard someone say they are an "Eisenhower Republican". I can understand a Reagan Republican, but you want to go back to Eisenhower?!?!? Most people were not even born during that time. I won't ask how old you are, though.
I'm 34, but I've studied my share of history.

Quote:
The GOP has "sold out" on spending big time and some other core issues. That is why I am behind GOP chairperson Michael Steele, who wants to move the GOP back to its Conservative roots. He knows the GOP screwed up after 2004 on spending and other issues bigtime and he wants to correct the mistakes and reform the party.
The GOP's roots are not conservative. Conservatives have shifted back and forth between parties throughout American history.

Quote:
As for parties, the Dems have gone so far to the left, they are dirving off a cliff now. The GOP has also gone left a lot, during Bush's 2nd term.
Do you even know what "left" means? I don't think you do, nor do I think that most people know what that term means. You probably think that government spending is always "left"...but let me tell you something...it's not necessarily. It's what that spending is used for that determines whether it's "left". Bailouts are not left wing. They're actually closer to fascism. They're evidence of a corporate state which is ANYTHING BUT left-wing.

Quote:
But there is a real strong chance now to bring back the GOP to its solid conservative principles before the 2010 midterms. Sarah Palin and Michael Steele and other key GOP Conservatives want to restore/purge the party of it's Progressive and Liberal members who are in Conservative districts.
I hope to God that Sarah Palin is nowhere near the 2012 Presidential campaign. That woman is a joke and belongs nowhere near any political office, except perhaps mayor of a small town. She doesn't know what she's talking about. That's an honest criticism. The idea of her in a leadership role scares me. I considered voting for McCain UNTIL he chose her. That VP choice was the final nail in the coffin...I could no longer support his bid for presidency.

Quote:
The GOP shift back right is happening. There is awareness now in the party of Dede Scozzofava-type "Republicans" and the primary voters are going mostly for Conservative candidates. This actually started in 2008, after the GOP took a major whooping and the party began to realize it needed to go back to being center-right or just Conservative, depending on the district/state they are in.
The GOP never shifted left. Bailouts are not left wing. Government spending is not left wing, by default. The GOP is as right-wing as it has ever been, probably too far right...into the corporate state arena.

Quote:
Keep in mind that Sarah Palin is a THREAT to the GOP in 2012, especially if she says she is going 3rd party. This will FORCE the GOP to pull behind a Conservative candidate in 2012 or face a divided GOP in 2012.

Same situation with Steele's 10 Pledge plan, which requires GOP Congressional candidates who want RNC support to sign a pledge to abide by at least 8 of 10 Conservative principles.
This is something I just don't like about the Republican party...it's so exclusive. Too exclusive if you ask me. I'm effectively a lifelong Republican yet some Republicans want to "kick me out" because I'm not conservative enough (I'm not that conservative when it comes to social issues like abortion and gay marriage). This attitude is seriously weakening the party. Rather than finding common ground, something to fight for, the party is looking for things to fight about, reasons to kick people out.

Quote:
I was also angry with the GOP for shifting left (I mean, come on, running McCain, a center left Progressive in 2008?!? >_<). But after the 2008 election and the recognition by the party that it lost its way and taking responsibility and begin reforming the party, I have basically renewed my hope that the GOP is getting its act together.
I think the GOP is becoming even more extreme. It's like they've gone absolutely insane. There's no room for intellectual Republicans anymore. You have to be an evangelical, conservative nut or you "Hate America". That attitude will doom the GOP.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:47 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,460,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post

This is something I just don't like about the Republican party...it's so exclusive. Too exclusive if you ask me. I'm effectively a lifelong Republican yet some Republicans want to "kick me out" because I'm not conservative enough (I'm not that conservative when it comes to social issues like abortion and gay marriage). This attitude is seriously weakening the party. Rather than finding common ground, something to fight for, the party is looking for things to fight about, reasons to kick people out.

I think the GOP is becoming even more extreme. It's like they've gone absolutely insane. There's no room for intellectual Republicans anymore. You have to be an evangelical, conservative nut or you "Hate America". That attitude will doom the GOP.
These are the biggest problems facing the GOP right now and why they lost 08, and why they don't stand a chance winning 2012.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:51 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
These are the biggest problems facing the GOP right now and why they lost 08, and why they don't stand a chance winning 2012.

No, they lost in 08 because they strayed from real conservative principles and became more like Democrats

But feel free to see life while blindfolded...

Old 01-19-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
No, they lost in 08 because they strayed from real conservative principles and became more like Democrats

But feel free to see life while blindfolded...
This is incorrect. There aren't enough hardcore conservatives to win a presidential election. Presidential candidates have to appeal to a variety of groups. This is not up for a dispute. It's a fact, a demographic certainty.

Republicans have become an exclusive club. That's why they lost.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:18 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,306 times
Quote:
This is incorrect. There aren't enough hardcore conservatives to win a presidential election. Presidential candidates have to appeal to a variety of groups. This is not up for a dispute. It's a fact, a demographic certainty.

Republicans have become an exclusive club. That's why they lost.

Wrong again.....

Most Americans are right leaning center and would have voted for a true conservative. They recognized that Mccain was a puppet for corporate interests and mistakenly thought that Obama was the "lesser of 2 evils"

Now it is too late and he and the others continue to push unpopular legislation ( a bad healthcare bill, climate bills based on faulty science etc. ) and is seeing his approval drop further and further

If Americans are smart, they will vote for a third party next election and kick out both corporate parties

Old 01-19-2010, 02:21 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,568,901 times
Quote:
.........there is an American President who I wouldn't walk across the street to see. Also,...there is an American President who would not be welcome into my home.

I've never felt this way about another American President, although FDR would run a close second. And before all you race-card-players start pounding your keyboards,...let me say that race has no part in my statement,...I just abhor a President who constantly apologize for America on his travels, who proposes policies counter to what made this nation great, who has lied his way into the White House, and who has closely associated with people whose ideals oppose our way of life.
Who cares?
And I wouldn't want Bush in my house. See me making a crybaby thread?

Go find something productive to do.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Wrong again.....

Most Americans are right leaning center and would have voted for a true conservative. They recognized that Mccain was a puppet for corporate interests and mistakenly thought that Obama was the "lesser of 2 evils"

Now it is too late and he and the others continue to push unpopular legislation ( a bad healthcare bill, climate bills based on faulty science etc. ) and is seeing his approval drop further and further

If Americans are smart, they will vote for a third party next election and kick out both corporate parties
Most Americans are not right leaning center. Most old white Americans are right leaning center. That demographic is shrinking.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:01 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,146 times
Quote:
Obama is all those things..........
Give us a break.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:03 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,146 times
Quote:
Most Americans are not right leaning center. Most old white Americans are right leaning center. That demographic is shrinking.
But STILL STINKING
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies