Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support the South seceding from the Union?
Yes, strongly support 88 33.08%
Yes, support 30 11.28%
Don't care either way 33 12.41%
No, oppose 17 6.39%
No, strongly oppose 98 36.84%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 11:40 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,031 times

Advertisements

The cities in the south would not support such a move.

And foreign powers would pick apart for breakfast. Shame on you that advocate that...it would kill everything...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 12:26 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
But surely the reasons are obvious. You loathe and detest everything the United States has stood for since April of 1865. Half of you would like nothing better than to indulge yourself in states' rights to the point of orgasm.

Nothing particularly complicated about it.

If you seceded the rest of us could go about our business being Americans.

PS I answered 'strongly support' too. See, we have at least one thing in common!
Hey Angry Angus! Been wondering where you been!

Yep, you pegged it! *snaps fingers* I am surprised I didn't think of all that before! Southerners detest and hate all America has stood for since 1865. Guess that is why so many enter the United States military in such disproportionate numbers. Wow!

Last edited by TexasReb; 01-23-2010 at 01:14 AM..

Old 01-23-2010, 01:05 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
[url=http://americancivilwar.com/documents/index.html]Confederate Constitution Secession Articles of American Civil War[/url

Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte
Many of the Northern states were part of the original 13 colonies. As for slavery being the occasion of rupture, well this is something you should see. The Articles of Secession say otherwise. According to the Articles of Secession, elite leaders and politicians in the South were openly admitting that the reason they were prepared to secede was to keep slavery. That was the only reason publically articulated. Go look it up in the Articles of Secession.
Yes, but what you provided was a link to the seperate declarations of secession. However, this backs up the point that there was no such thing as a single "Article of Secession" or "Declaration of Secession"

There were two distinct waves. The Lower South (South Carolina thru Texas) went out first...and each did so on different dates and each gave its own reasons (Texas mentioned the fact the federal government had not lived up to its guarantee of protecting settlers along the exposed frontier).

After the incident at Ft. Sumter, the Upper South states had to choose sides and, it being either/or, they aligned themselves with the "Deep South". None of their ordinances of secession mentioned slavery at all.

Last edited by TexasReb; 01-23-2010 at 01:17 AM..

Old 01-23-2010, 05:38 AM

177 posts, read 266,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

Yep, you pegged it! *snaps fingers* I am surprised I didn't think of all that before! Southerners detest and hate all America has stood for since 1865. Guess that is why so many enter the United States military in such disproportionate numbers. Wow!
Judge George L. Christian
These constitute the highest and the best evidence which the law recognizes for the establishment of the truth of any fact. And I want you, and the young people here especially, to think on these things. Yes, my young friends, this cause, which is thus, as I think, established to be right, is the one for which a third of a century ago, your fathers fought, and your mothers worked and wept, and prayed. They thought they were right then, they know they were right now.
And I want to say, in conclusion, that to think and feel, as we think and feel about the Confederate cause, does not mean that we are disloyal citizens of our now united and common country. But on the contrary, it is just in proportion as we are true and loyal to the cause of the South, that we will be true and faithful citizens of our country to-day; because the principles for which the Confederate soldier fought, are the only ones, as I have already said, on which constitutional liberty can ever rest in this, or any other country. Yes, my comrades and friends, be ye sure that
"The graves of our dead with the grass overgrown
Will yet form the footstool of liberty's throne,
And each single wreck in the war path of might
Shall yet be a rock in the temple of right."

Old 01-23-2010, 09:53 AM

900 posts, read 672,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

You enter the military because there's nothing else to do in your poverty-stricken, God-forsaken holes.

Just think, if you all seceded, you could form your own military and then spend all of your time having wet dreams about fighting the civil war again!

Go, I say go!

You see, the difference between you good ol' boys and the rest of us is that we're Americans who happen to live in the North, or the East, or the West. You all are Southerners first and foremost, who happen to live in the United States because you lost a war, and you hate everything about it. Which is why you strongly support secession.

I do, too, but for very different reasons.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coon dog View Post
Judge George L. Christian
These constitute the highest and the best evidence which the law recognizes for the establishment of the truth of any fact. And I want you, and the young people here especially, to think on these things. Yes, my young friends, this cause, which is thus, as I think, established to be right, is the one for which a third of a century ago, your fathers fought, and your mothers worked and wept, and prayed. They thought they were right then, they know they were right now.
And I want to say, in conclusion, that to think and feel, as we think and feel about the Confederate cause, does not mean that we are disloyal citizens of our now united and common country. But on the contrary, it is just in proportion as we are true and loyal to the cause of the South, that we will be true and faithful citizens of our country to-day; because the principles for which the Confederate soldier fought, are the only ones, as I have already said, on which constitutional liberty can ever rest in this, or any other country. Yes, my comrades and friends, be ye sure that
"The graves of our dead with the grass overgrown
Will yet form the footstool of liberty's throne,
And each single wreck in the war path of might
Shall yet be a rock in the temple of right."
Well jeez, if Judge George L. Christian said it, it must be true! Is he any relation to Fletcher Christian?

Old 01-23-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
The OP seems to play a baiting game..the purpose of this thread is identify, expose those who want to secede...The OP does this by using a poll. Then he can claim look...they are not Americans. This thread is a ruse.
I support secession because I am an American and I think my country would be better off without you. Southerners who support secession are not Americans. They are Southerners.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Please provide the names of all individuals convicted of treason for seceding from the US and/or any soldiers or civilians or government officials.
Treason trials were not held due to the mistaken belief that if we treated our defeated enemy with dignity, they would once again embrace the American ideals and become fully funtioning Americans.

Alas, we were wrong.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:07 AM

228 posts, read 483,200 times
If the south wants to secede then let them and see how long they last. It would literally become a third world country.

Let's all support the secession of some of the most un-healthy, fattest, lowest quality of living, highest amount of smokers, and shortest life expectancy states, maybe America as a whole would be a better place.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:11 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
I'm confused......didn't they try this once before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies