U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Would you support the South seceding from the Union?
Yes, strongly support 87 32.95%
Yes, support 29 10.98%
Don't care either way 33 12.50%
No, oppose 17 6.44%
No, strongly oppose 98 37.12%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2010, 12:47 AM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
26,529 posts, read 25,014,689 times
Reputation: 7739

Advertisements

I'm sensing a resurgence in Southern pride lately. Would you like to see the South secede from the Union?

Confederate States of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

League of the South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2010, 12:52 AM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,412 posts, read 8,235,465 times
Reputation: 1802
No, the South is part of America but if some Southerns want to leave America that would be ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 01:07 AM
 
19,216 posts, read 12,984,802 times
Reputation: 2337
Wouldn't Sarah Palin look good in a Confederate flag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 01:12 AM
 
Location: somewhere in the woods
16,884 posts, read 13,030,934 times
Reputation: 5211
would not mind some western states seceding tho, I would move there tomorrow if that happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 01:17 AM
 
Location: USA, the greatest country in the world!
78 posts, read 88,940 times
Reputation: 60
It's not only Southern states that are unhappy with current US situation. Western states too. Even Massachusetts seem unhappy with what DC is doing these days!

I do not want to see the USA divided (I love it too much, man), but I would not be surprised if something happens in the next 4 years. The elections of 2010 might fix some of this anger, by forcing Obama to chance course, but we will see.

As for Western states, La Raza, MECHA, and other Mexican "take-back the US SW" movements might win out or might just be "annexed" by Mexico if our borders do not get secured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 01:21 AM
 
Location: Washington DC
625 posts, read 899,300 times
Reputation: 141
States should have the right to secede, but I don't think it would be a good idea for southern states to secede now. It would be an economic disaster for them. The idea was better 150 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 01:23 AM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
26,529 posts, read 25,014,689 times
Reputation: 7739
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonSense1 View Post
As for Western states, La Raza, MECHA, and other Mexican "take-back the US SW" movements might win out or might just be "annexed" by Mexico if our borders do not get secured.
That is so far-fetched and unlikely, I can't believe it's even being presented as a possibility. What evidence is there to suggest that those groups might "win out" or that any Western states might be annexed by Mexico?

Granted, Southern secession is highly unlikely, but I can picture it happening a lot more easily than I can see the scenarios you've described.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 01:26 AM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,412 posts, read 8,235,465 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonSense1 View Post
It's not only Southern states that are unhappy with current US situation. Western states too. Even Massachusetts seem unhappy with what DC is doing these days!

I do not want to see the USA divided (I love it too much, man), but I would not be surprised if something happens in the next 4 years. The elections of 2010 might fix some of this anger, by forcing Obama to chance course, but we will see.

As for Western states, La Raza, MECHA, and other Mexican "take-back the US SW" movements might win out or might just be "annexed" by Mexico if our borders do not get secured.
You guys eventually reveal your racism & why certain Southerns are welcome to leave the country they hate. Where will you go? Maybe we can find a place for you to move to. Do you like Middle-eastern food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 01:29 AM
 
Location: SA
744 posts, read 1,074,452 times
Reputation: 571
I would not like to see all the southern states go, however I for one would like to see TX go out on our own and stop paying taxes for DC to redistribute to god knows where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 01:30 AM
 
Location: Imaginary Figment
11,456 posts, read 12,723,079 times
Reputation: 4760
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm sensing a resurgence in Southern pride lately. Would you like to see the South secede from the Union?

Confederate States of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

League of the South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It would be nice as hardly anybody accepts my confederate currency lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top