Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 12:32 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
The Constitution is not the law. If it were, we wouldn't have 10,000 pages of laws.

The Constitution sets limits on who gets to write laws for what, and draws general lines for what those laws may or may not accomplish.

It guarantees very broad and general rights, but is intentionally vague about the lines defining those rights.

That's where we come in, writing laws and defining those rights as the majority sees fit.
Let me repeat that. Article VI of the Constitution says:

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land"

The Constitution itself says it is the supreme law. Have you never read it?

On your last statement, the Founders feared a "tyranny of the majority" so designed the government to also prevent the majority from stripping a right from a minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Guns are manufactured in one state and shipped to another. How many people come to a Houston gun show from another state to sell? To buy?

I would ask if you see what I am getting at, but I know you don't.
Federal law already does not apply to private sales because of the interstate/intrastate issue. Private sales were specifically exempted from the GCA 1968. The ATF can't simply decide all of a sudden they want it to and then order people to do so.

Quote:
No, they prevented nothing. They did not step and tell people they couldn't buy guns. All they did was convince the owner / operator to shut down the show.
What they did was illegal. Under color of law, they tried to order the owner to follow a law that does not exist. Maybe you want LEO's going around like thugs strong arming people into doing whatever the LEO sees fit, but I believe the majority of us do not and want LEO's to follow the laws they are supposed to follow.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the screaming right-wing insanity.
Really? It's well documented. And, it was liberals who denounced COINTELPRO, and REX 84 (1984) was under Reagan and denounced by liberals first. Hardly right-wing to denounce these things...

Old 01-22-2010, 12:43 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Let me repeat that. Article VI of the Constitution says:

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land"

The Constitution itself says it is the supreme law. Have you never read it?

On your last statement, the Founders feared a "tyranny of the majority" so designed the government to also prevent the majority from stripping a right from a minority.

You can sit and repeat yourself all day long, it won't change the fact that you are wrong. The very passage you keep quoting tells you that you are wrong. It says everything working together is the supreme law. The Constitution is a guidebook, not the law itself.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
You can sit and repeat yourself all day long, it won't change the fact that you are wrong. The very passage you keep quoting tells you that you are wrong. It says everything working together is the supreme law. The Constitution is a guidebook, not the law itself.
"This Constitution, and..."

You can keep spinning all you wish. The Constitution is the supreme law of the land. The Constitution is not a mere guidebook. Any law made that does not conform to the law (Constitution) is null and void and treated as if it never existed, by the courts.

So evidently until now you've neither read the Constitution, nor taken a basic English grammar class. You claimed earlier you understand the Constitution better than myself. I think not.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:52 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Getoutofhere!

Old 01-22-2010, 12:52 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
"This Constitution, and..."

You can keep spinning all you wish. The Constitution is the supreme law of the land. The Constitution is not a mere guidebook. Any law made that does not conform to the law (Constitution) is null and void and treated as if it never existed, by the courts.

So evidently until now you've neither read the Constitution, nor taken a basic English grammar class.

Your ignorance is astounding.

If the Constitution is the law, then why both with all the others? Let's just throw them out. They don't do jack, anyway.

I mean, the Constitution doesn't prohibit murder or rape, but whatever, right? And all those violent felons and mentally ill people, they should have access to whatever weapon they want, right? It's only fair, and the Constitution says they have the right to bear arms. Hell, my kids 6-year-old boy is about due for his first HK MP5, don't you think? No full auto, though, not until he is at least 10. Because he has the right to bear arms, correct? I mean, the Constitution doesn't say only people of a certain age can have guns.

The Constitution is not the law. It's far too vague, much like your grasp of reality, to be the law. It's the guidebook by which we make our laws.

I know all this is flying right over your tin-foil wrapped head, but hopefully someone else reading this will learn something new.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:59 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:

I mean, the Constitution doesn't prohibit murder or rape, but whatever, right? we make our laws.
The Constitution very definitely prohibits the Government from committing murder or rape. That is precisely why Blackwater was contracted to do it.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:

If the Constitution is the law, then why both with all the others? Let's just throw them out. They don't do jack, anyway.

I mean, the Constitution doesn't prohibit murder or rape, but whatever, right? And all those violent felons and mentally ill people, they should have access to whatever weapon they want, right? It's only fair, and the Constitution says they have the right to bear arms. Hell, my kids 6-year-old boy is about due for his first HK MP5, don't you think? No full auto, though, not until he is at least 10. Because he has the right to bear arms, correct? I mean, the Constitution doesn't say only people of a certain age can have guns.

The Constitution is not the law. It's far too vague, much like your grasp of reality, to be the law. It's the guidebook by which we make our laws.

I know all this is flying right over your tin-foil wrapped head, but hopefully someone else reading this will learn something new.
The Constitution is the supreme law so that neither the government nor the people may strip people of liberty and rights. Note that it says only the laws made in pursuance thereto (the Constitution) are considered supreme law. hence, the Constitution is the supreme law because it trumps any law made that does not conform to it.

Your argument is absurd. I really don't care about your opinion of the Second Amendment. Just don't mess with it.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:36 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Yes indeed. "Loophole" is the psychological term to insinuate an unfortunate flaw in a system that allows exploitation of the system. Gotta close those loopholes!!!

The real issue here is that all of these activities ... registration, licensing, waiting periods, background checks .. all of them are "infringements" as prohibited by the 2nd Amendment.

Now, anyone of sound mind would surely agree that it's not desirable to sell guns to crazy people with a history of psychological disorders, nor would anyone disagree that it's desirable to keep guns from violent criminals. That's common sense. But the problem is, you can't prevent criminals and crazies from getting guns ... in fact, the data shows that they have no problem getting guns, and those cities and states that have the most restrictions on gun sales and ownership experience much higher crime rates than those areas least restrictive. That is a plain fact.

Furthermore, gun registration is the first step to sweeping gun confiscation, and there is historical evidence to prove that such activities ALWAYS leads to outright confiscation.

The real danger here is not criminals getting their hands on guns .. the danger ... a well documented danger is that EVERY society that has ever been disarmed has experienced unbridled tyranny and mass murder at the hand of their own governments. EVERY SINGLE TIME ... NO EXCEPTIONS.

Those who just can't grasp this are woefully ignorant of history, including our own bloody history.

In just the 20th century alone, Mao, Stalin, Hitler, Polpot, among many others murdered over 200 Million of their own citizens. Far more people have been murdered by their own governments than have perished from outside enemies. That is historical FACT.

So you say that couldn't happen here? Tell that to the Native Americans, whom the United States government systematically annihilated, primarily because they had bows and arrows, and we had guns.

Educate yourself. Read some of the writings and statements by the founding fathers as it relates to an armed citizenry, and what ALWAYS happens to unarmed citizens.

They knew how important it was for the American Republic's survival and the survival of liberty itself that the citizenry never be disarmed. That is the sole purpose of the 2nd Amendment.

All of the arguments used to support the slow, incremental disarming of the public are used to prey upon collective ignorance, and appeal to rudimentary common sense (in the absence of context).

Just as criminals find unarmed citizens as easy targets for their criminal behaviors ... as proved by crime rates that are the highest in communities that have the greatest restrictions on firearm ownership. so too do governments ultimately commit the most crimes against it's citizenry whom they have convinced to allow themselves to be disarmed.

Take a good inventory of the news today ... Torture at Guantanamo Bay ... Black Water mercenaries murdering women and children in Iraq and Afghanistan ... and then look at recent events like Katrina, and how US military went door to door, illegally confiscating guns from law abiding citizens ... leaving them defenseless and prime targets for looters and criminals. Now tell me that those Black Water Goon squads would give a second thought to dragging your unarmed rear end out into the street and murder you in cold blood, if they were being paid handsomely to do it?

Now ... WAKE UP, and quit being limp wristed slaves who think cowering in a corner and dialing 911 is an adequate means of self defense.
I am not too sure your condescending remarks cut it:
Urban Dictionary: limp wristed

What makes you think or believe people who are pro gun laws and restrictions are gays, pansies, or *******?
Gun laws circumvent the 2nd. amendment?
You are one crazy guy. Are you criminally insane?

Old 01-23-2010, 02:46 PM

15,061 posts, read 8,622,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamOrbit View Post
yeah, yeah, yeah, the second amendment. Sometimes we need to just get rid of the constitution and draw up new plans that are SUITABLE for TODAY'S society.
George Bush ... is that you? The constitution is just a G - D piece of paper?

I'll tell ya what ... down here in Texas, it's still pretty wild, and you'd find that out pretty quick if you talked such communist/fascist trash round chear.

In all seriousness though, without the constitution, well, you'd have a lot more boot lick'n experience than you have right now ...

And I bet you're good at it too. Oh yes you are a real winner.

Here's what I think of your ilk;

Quote:
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" - Sam Admans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies