Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:32 PM

54 posts, read 147,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Oh brother.
Before you Oh Brother, you have to understand what history has done to the native people. Many people like yourself give that type of answer before thinking. The Indians of this area were subject to a scourge much worse than than the murderous union soldiers,the Spanish!!! Only those who surrendered were tagged and thus later able to be what is now called federally recognized and able to apply for federal assistance. Texas, under Maribeau Lamar, exterminated as many indians as they could and ran off the rest. Many had to change their identity to Mexican or Tejano in order to survive. Many non indian people never had to run for their lives!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 12:40 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
The documentary/reality show 30 Days has a episode called 30 Days on an Indian Reservation. It was very informative.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:14 PM

54 posts, read 147,958 times
My 6th great grandfather was born at Mission San Jose in 1741. Listed as Pamaque Indian. His wife, my 6th great grandmother is listed as a Lipan Apache. My 5th great grandfather is listed as Pamaque in 1758 in some records, then later as Spaniard. Further down the line around 1813, we were Tejano. After the fall of the Alamo we were still afraid to admit to our true indigenous identity. There was a bounty on our heads!!! Many of us survived and here we are today as something else. My grandpa is Mexican on his birth certificate, and my father's says white!!! I almost started a riot at the hospital when they put Hispanic on my daughter's birth certificate!! And at her school, I had to go to Northside ISD to find out who kept changing my daughter's race to Hispanic!!!! The secretary told me " She has a Hispanic last name"!!!!! They did that for 4 years in a row!! Now she is in middle school and it's started all over again!! Oh, by the way, I'm not looking for a handout either. I have two masters from Fullerton State, served two tours in Viet Nam, and never asked for anything but respect for who I AM!!

Old 01-19-2010, 02:21 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
And I am thankful that I am an American before I am anything else!!!

But back to the OP. I hope that people will complete the census truthfully if they do know their heritage, it's very important and I'm afraid that the population in this city has been understated quite a bit.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:53 PM

98 posts, read 122,705 times
I wholeheartedly agree with you, Mission-Sundancer. When the census comes around, I will be checking off white, native American and black, unless they have a "mestizo" or "criollo" box!

Old 01-19-2010, 04:22 PM

113 posts, read 446,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
so the census was accusing you of being mexican? LOL All the Census Forms I've done have Hispanic, Latino, Metizo and I havent seen Anglo for a while
Not accusing....they wanted me to state we were Mexicans. I had checked off Hispanic but they wanted our origin and I couldn't give it to them any further than Texas.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:52 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
I'm 100% European American (and can trace it back to the 1790 census in Massachusetts) so there is no problem here. I will proudly check the 10000% white box.

Whatever you end up selecting, please make sure you send in that census packet (and don't get upset because it doesn't say what you want it to) this one document ends up funding many health, education, government, and transportation projects for the next 10 years. And if you don't send in those documents your neighborhood won't get the funds it deserves for those projects.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:05 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
Is there a box that reads "Gringo"?

European American (Italy) here as well...I've traced back to our family's signatures here:

Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search

Old 01-19-2010, 05:33 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default That'swhy,

Maybe you took everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
I am an american. Not looking for handouts.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:41 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Is there a box that reads "Gringo"?

European American (Italy) here as well...I've traced back to our family's signatures here:

Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search
I can't get anyone to Ellis Island, but Ancestry.com was a great resource for us. I don't know if it has been mentioned here (and if it has I'm sorry) the SA library does allow its users free access to Ancestry. If your family isn't Texan it can be a great resource.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies