U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:58 AM

54 posts, read 93,813 times

Advertisements

With the 2010 Census fast approaching, I was wondering how many people are actually true to their ancestors when filling out their ethnic identity? If your grandparents were indians from Mexico, what do you put for race and ethnicity? Every year millions of dollars go to other programs because people of native american ethnicity aren't represented. Just because my ancestors didn't surrender to the Great White Father, doesn't make them any less indian! The Spanish Colonial Missions were built by my ancestors, but every year at least 10 million dollars earmarked for native american programs goes for other things because according to the National Parks honchos there are no native americans in San Antonio!! If your great grandparents were indian, and your grandparents were indian, and your parents were indian....What does that make you?

Last edited by Bo; 01-22-2010 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Moved from San Antonio forum. See my post #53 for details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 12:21 PM

790 posts, read 819,431 times
I am an american. Not looking for handouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mission-sundancer View Post
With the 2010 Census fast approaching, I was wondering how many people are actually true to their ancestors when filling out their ethnic identity? If your grandparents were indians from Mexico, what do you put for race and ethnicity? Every year millions of dollars go to other programs because people of native american ethnicity aren't represented. Just because my ancestors didn't surrender to the Great White Father, doesn't make them any less indian! The Spanish Colonial Missions were built by my ancestors, but every year at least 10 million dollars earmarked for native american programs goes for other things because according to the National Parks honchos there are no native americans in San Antonio!! If your great grandparents were indian, and your grandparents were indian, and your parents were indian....What does that make you?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:52 PM

113 posts, read 253,545 times
I'm hispanic and my parents and grandparents were from Hondo Tx and that's as far back as I know. I filled out last years form and mailed it back then a couple of weeks later get a call from the census bureau wanting to further clarify some things. Bottom line was they were trying so hard to get me to say we are Mexicans and I wouldn't budge. I told them what I knew, as far back as I knew and I wasn't going to change it.

I kept saying were we Americans and that's all I knew. It really bugged me that they would question my answers anyway.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:55 PM

192 posts, read 220,699 times
I was thinking about this last week, but not in the context of the census. Just in the context of "Where the heck did I come from?"

I tried going back but two generations on my dad's side and I hit Mexico. Three generations back on my mom's side and I hit Mexico. I remember my Great-Great Aunt told me her side of the family came through the Canary Islands, to San Antonio. I also know that part of the family came from the Monterrey area. On my dad's side, my grandmother was born somewhere around Reynosa. And he said his great grandmother was an Indian. And that she and my great grandfather sheltered Pancho Villa, who in return for their hospitality, gave them his rifle.

So I'm some sort of Spanish/Mexican/Indian. Some of my grandparents were born here, my parents were born here, and I was born here, and Texas is all that we know. My family is short statured, athletic, dark hair, eyes, and skin. Our family history is lost to time, but I'm proud to be an American.

On all of my paperwork, I've always checked Hispanic or Mexican-American, even though my birth certificate says "White." I don't know my official ancestry, just that it's a mix of people, most from Mexico. My grandparents and great-aunts and uncles spoke Spanish and are Catholic, so Hispanic is fine with me.

You are really blessed if you truly know where you come from. A lot of us are at a loss, and just speculate. I wish I knew.

PS. According to Wikipedia: it says this about the 2010 Census: "The 2010 US Census will have changes designed to more clearly distinguish the Hispanic ethnicity as not being a race."

The preview of the census found here: The Questions on the Form - 2010 Census (http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/interactive-form.php - broken link)

Question #8: Is person 1 of Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish orgin?
My Answer: Yes. Mexican, Mexican Am., Chicano

Question #9: What is Person 1's race?
Answer: White (It's gonna bug me, but oh well.)

And:
Quote:
I am an american. Not looking for handouts.
Lol, neither am I. I got an Academic Scholarship. Full Tuition. BooYeah.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:02 PM

21,624 posts, read 23,783,463 times
How often is census done? I think that it will be my first here - I don't remember anyone asking me any of those questions before...

Old 01-19-2010, 01:10 PM

6,868 posts, read 12,984,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mission-sundancer View Post
Just because my ancestors didn't surrender to the Great White Father, doesn't make them any less indian!
Oh brother.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:16 PM

54 posts, read 93,813 times
Default Identity

The Census is done every ten years. This one should be interesting. I don't think there is a box for "American"

Old 01-19-2010, 01:18 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,233,115 times
The Census just gets more and more complicated every year. oyyyy.....

Old 01-19-2010, 01:26 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,874,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayover20 View Post
I'm hispanic and my parents and grandparents were from Hondo Tx and that's as far back as I know. I filled out last years form and mailed it back then a couple of weeks later get a call from the census bureau wanting to further clarify some things. Bottom line was they were trying so hard to get me to say we are Mexicans and I wouldn't budge. I told them what I knew, as far back as I knew and I wasn't going to change it.

I kept saying were we Americans and that's all I knew. It really bugged me that they would question my answers anyway.
so the census was accusing you of being mexican? LOL All the Census Forms I've done have Hispanic, Latino, Metizo and I havent seen Anglo for a while

Old 01-19-2010, 01:27 PM

3,362 posts, read 10,460,211 times
The census was designed in 1790 to do just a census. Count the number of people in the new country. It has denegrated into a map of who should get the handouts. In there somewhere is the census of how many people are in the US.
With that said, all I'm going to tell them is that I am here. I was badgered in the last census to come up with all kinds of information about housing, rents, costs of purchase, stuff that in the long run is my business. Take me to jail for not anwsering some of the stupid questions that have nothing to do with the number of people in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies