Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 07:17 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times

Advertisements

[quote=harborlady;12537790]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Unfortunately they do need a lot of burial shrouds and/or caskets.
-Physical aid is being provided & managed by US gov't. All others are subordinate. The boss made those plans & decisions. Resources are not actually competing, they're being juggled on as need basis. Logistics is 5 threads all by itself.

I've already answered your points but you're raising more presumptions that punctuate what I've said was ignored. I'll focus on the what you just added.
They already have spiritual help...
Facts:
-literacy rate is 45%= econo bibles would be thoughtless= their faith is entirely dependent upon clergy to deliver.
-The Catholic monsingnor is verified dead.
-Rough reports indicate the church collapsed upon him so for all intents/ purposes, there is no church.
-Baptist church Pastor and 3 other church leaders are verified dead, no mutual aid possible at this time.
-The leader of UN forces is confirmed dead.
-The experienced leadership and workers Haitians had relationships with are dead, wounded, missing, or in the similar trouble they are- without food, reliable potable water, or a leader. Haiti has no dial tone.

This message would be understood from one catholic to another very clearly, without the noise of this thread.
Thank you for your patient persistence. Indeed, the message is understood by all who are part of the faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 07:35 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
You ever think for one minute that people need food and water to survive?

Lets play a game.

An earthquake just happened and you are dying of hunger and thirst, plus you have gangrene on your leg. What item(s) would you want; choose one answer:

a) a solar powered bible
b) food, medicine, and water

Seriously, what is wrong with you CQ? Its easy to say that these fundies are helping these poor Haitians from the comfort of the USA, with your electricity/heating/internet/food/water, but I have a feeling if you were in Haiti a solar powered bible would not be high on your list of priorities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
They ARE getting that stuff!!!!! And you know what people who have faith survive through unimaginable things because of that faith. That Bible just might help that person with gangrene hold on one more day until the meds get there. You are just pissed because it is Christianity. Your hate for it shows over and over. If all this group has is Bibles they are doing their part to help, it is very sad that you can not see that. Hate will do that to ya.
However, the Haitians are NOT getting anywhere nearly enough emergency supplies of food and medical help in this disaster. And it's a shame to waste these air drops on sending them bibles, when they could be giving these people food, water and medical supplies instead.

These solar powered bibles blaring out their holy messages aren't going to make their hunger and thirst go away, nor mend their broken bones nor stop the violence or looting. Air dropping these bibles are a waste of resources. And yet another reason to be cautious about donating to religious charities.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:07 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
I am sorry to see that some have developed such skewed thoughts toward a Christian group that they blindly label them "taliban". There is wisdom and comfort to be found in the bible, while you may not want to know about it and or agree with it which is your right but be open minded enough to at least realize for some it is a source of comfort and if so how can that be a bad thing?

I don't think a group in this case a Christian group would deny water and food so they can instead send a bible. I imagine everybody is doing what they can with the resources available but it is a huge undertaking.

Personally if I was in that situation and lost everything I had even though I would need food and drink a bible or otherwise comfort item would be appreciated by me, in my case I would be thankful if someone would drop a guitar along with the food and drink.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:25 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
What Haitians have is plenty of Bibles as well as a, hopefully, functioning Church to guide them in spiritual matters. They do not need more Bibles.
Facts:
-The Catholic monsingnor is verified dead.
-Rough reports indicate the church collapsed upon him so for all intents/ purposes, there is no church anymore.
-Baptist church Pastor and 3 other church leaders are verified dead, no local mutual aid possible.
-The leader of UN forces is confirmed dead.
-The experienced leadership and workers Haitians had relationships with are dead, wounded, missing, or in the similar trouble they are- without food, reliable potable water, or a leader. Haiti has no dial tone.
-literacy rate is 45%= econo bibles would be thoughtless. Faith is conditional/ entirely dependent upon clergy to deliver for many. Solar Audio bibles are beyond their means to purchase, not dependent upon clergy unless they choose, honors free will, doesn't chew their food for them, custom built so that every impediment besides willingness was removed. Elaborate pre requisites for pursuing faith have been eliminated. Nothing could be more perfect. Anyone choosing to believe this is an air conditioned dog house is willfully ignorant.

Quote:
Unfortunately they do need a lot of burial shrouds and/or caskets.
-Physical aid is being provided & managed by US gov't. All others are subordinate. The boss made those plans & decisions. Resources do not compete, they're being juggled on as need basis. Logistics is 5 threads all by itself. Sound byte answer is jurisdiction: non issue.

Quote:
I do understand other cultures, a few anyway, but the one I understand best is the culture of hypocracy. That one is everywhere. Too many "charitable" people are more interested in their feeling better than what the recipients could really use.
- Those who see this gift as real are the those who are essentially in the faith or knowing the message communicated.
This is a message understood from one catholic to another catholic, which means those who don't understand the language or tradition couldn't begin to know the intent or response of either party. I trust that christians understand christians better than non practicing. What makes you think you know all here?

You've willfully excluded yourselves from knowing, joined a thread to mock what you failed to understand, and complained about how others get along how can you take yourself seriously? Multiculturalism works on 2 way street of respect, and you exhibit none. You might as well walk into a synagogue with a doily on your head.

The hypocrisy is eye for an eye. You'll defend 2nd amendment but throw freedom of religion under the bus. Cherry picking constitution doesn't work for anyone, it only means we all lose. I defend atheists as equally. When are you going to stop punishing the rest of us with the rivalry you insist on taking everywhere?

Old 01-20-2010, 08:32 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
My God, they sent bibles how dare they!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:46 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,485,684 times
If Haiti was 70% Orthodox Jewish and an Orthodox Jewish group was sending Torahs or if Haiti was 70% Muslim and a group of Muslims was sending Korans....would the issue be touched with a 10 foot pole? I doubt it.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
If Haiti was 70% Orthodox Jewish and an Orthodox Jewish group was sending Torahs or if Haiti was 70% Muslim and a group of Muslims was sending Korans....would the issue be touched with a 10 foot pole? I doubt it.
Yes, it probably would. Anyway Israel has sent lots of aid to Haiti but I don't believe they sent any Torahs. The Muslim world hasn't sent a lot of aid, but Abu Dhabi, Qatar, and Muslims in America have sent aid. I haven't heard of them sending any Korans. The thing is other religions didn't waste resources sending bibles to people who need medical supplies, doctors, food, and water. Seems like other religions have more sense to send useful aid to Haiti and worry about religion once everyone has eaten and gotten medical attention.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:56 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Yes, it probably would. Anyway Israel has sent lots of aid to Haiti but I don't believe they sent any Torahs. The Muslim world hasn't sent a lot of aid, but Abu Dhabi, Qatar, and Muslims in America have sent aid. I haven't heard of them sending any Korans. The thing is other religions didn't waste resources sending bibles to people who need medical supplies, doctors, food, and water. Seems like other religions have more sense to send useful aid to Haiti and worry about religion once everyone has eaten and gotten medical attention.

Yes it would be odd to send Torahs to a country where the Jewish populaiton is lessthan 1%, ditto Korans and the Muslim population.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:59 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The Bibles are in route to Haiti and when they get there, they will more than likely sit at the airport for weeks, if not months. They are prioritizing the stuff.... This is not a "slam" to Christianity or God!
Logistics... answered. They'll get them when that priority rolls ahead. They might need them sooner than not if hospitals are overcrowded in waiting rooms. At very least it will help remind them of their higher selves and help preserve what order remains. It also has the potential to inspire. There's more to it than you can see.

Not a slam... it really is. What if we looked at this in simple terms of religious people have discovered in themselves another need for vitamin x. Food is tasteless in life without this other thing they need. You might not need it, but they do. Women have different needs than men and vice versa, but no one denies that fact. Christians in america are not well understood by most. Do the words taken for granted sound familiar? Why are they using that language?

Change the characters of culture. Native americans separated from their deep connection from the earth, forced to adapt to a society of fences... there was something missing, they fail to thrive because of this lack. Most on the left can empathize and understand native americans better than they can the christians with whom they share a bloodline. Forget the neocon dumb stuff they do, we're not all that way and deserve better. Just think about it.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:51 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,485,684 times
Quote:
You aren't paying attention. I said IF Haiti had the same number of Orthodox Jews or Muslims as they do Catholics/Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies