Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 04:35 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,427,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
You ever think for one minute that people need food and water to survive?

Lets play a game.

An earthquake just happened and you are dying of hunger and thirst, plus you have gangrene on your leg. What item(s) would you want; choose one answer:

a) a solar powered bible
b) food, medicine, and water

Seriously, what is wrong with you CQ? Its easy to say that these fundies are helping these poor Haitians from the comfort of the USA, with your electricity/heating/internet/food/water, but I have a feeling if you were in Haiti a solar powered bible would not be high on your list of priorities.

They ARE getting that stuff!!!!! And you know what people who have faith survive through unimaginable things because of that faith. That Bible just might help that person with gangrene hold on one more day until the meds get there. You are just pissed because it is Christianity. Your hate for it shows over and over. If all this group has is Bibles they are doing their part to help, it is very sad that you can not see that. Hate will do that to ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 04:39 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,743,509 times
Quote:
Ever hear of something called stone soup? It's an Irish banquet for the good of all. Google it.

I have no problem with anyone donating their version of help if they believe it would be helpful to others. Whether or not that help is useful to Haitians is free will exercised. Wish you'd see the spirit of charity and fixate less on materialism. Others are providing food and water. There is a long list of lack, and bashing at donors lining up to contribute their 2 cts isn't serving Haitians, is it?

Old 01-19-2010, 04:42 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,001,727 times
Quote:
People in Haiti lack food, water, and medicine, but not bibles. I don't think bibles are in sort supply anywhere because christian charities make sure of that. Anyway, those bibles might come in useful when people in Haiti die due to lack of food/water/medicine, because they were sent solar power bibles and not anything that actually could help them. They can read each other last rites and pray for some food or water.
Well said, joejitsu. Doctors are doing amputations with hand saws, and we
get cavalier comments from people who have yet to pause and consider what would it be like to be in that devastation and amidst all of the death.
A Bible is great comfort, but it can't be eaten, used for shelter, cannot save you from being raped, quench your dehydration or prevent the diseases that generally follow such catastrophes. That is the OP's point, I believe. There doesn't seem to be a need for rabid attacks at such a time.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:47 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,768,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Well said, joejitsu. Doctors are doing amputations with hand saws, and we
get cavalier comments from people who have yet to pause and consider what would it be like to be in that devastation and amidst all of the death.
A Bible is great comfort, but it can't be eaten, used for shelter, cannot save you from being raped, quench your dehydration or prevent the diseases that generally follow such catastrophes. That is the OP's point, I believe. There doesn't seem to be a need for rabid attacks at such a time.
That is exactly what I am trying to say. It would be one thing to give bibles along with essential supplies. I am all for that idea. Just giving a bible to people in this situation is like giving them the finger, "Here pray to god for food and water because you sure aren't getting it from us." In fact it seems almost cruel, "you are going to die because I gave you just a bible when you needed physical aid, but its all ok you get to go to heaven LOL." Some people are extremely ignorant.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:54 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,644,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Oh yes it is so horrible that they give a Bible to people of which almost 90% ARE CHRISTIANS!!! Oh the horror.
I didn't know the percentage is that high, but I was going to point out that a large number of them are Christian and to a believer spiritual strength at times of such crisis is essential to carry them through until physical and material help arrives.

Quote:
People in Haiti lack food, water, and medicine, but not bibles. I don't think bibles are in sort supply anywhere because christian charities make sure of that. Anyway, those bibles might come in useful when people in Haiti die due to lack of food/water/medicine, because they were sent solar power bibles and not anything that actually could help them. They can read each other last rites and pray for some food or water.
Quote:
They ARE getting that stuff!!!!! And you know what people who have faith survive through unimaginable things because of that faith. That Bible just might help that person with gangrene hold on one more day until the meds get there. You are just pissed because it is Christianity. Your hate for it shows over and over. If all this group has is Bibles they are doing their part to help, it is very sad that you can not see that. Hate will do that to ya.
It'll be hard to read or understand your words for those who hate that much.

Quote:
That is exactly what I am trying to say. It would be one thing to give bibles along with essential supplies. I am all for that idea. Just giving a bible to people in this situation is like giving them the finger, "Here pray to god for food and water because you sure aren't getting it from us." In fact it seems almost cruel, "you are going to die because I gave you just a bible when you needed physical aid, but its all ok you get to go to heaven LOL." Some people are extremely ignorant.
And may I ask, what did YOU give?

Old 01-19-2010, 04:58 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,001,310 times
Quote:
Some people are extremly ignorant indeed. and what is the Christian taliban? are there bombs in those Bibles? why do you mock those offering comfort? does it make you feel superior and better than them?

Old 01-19-2010, 04:58 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,599,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
He's given his tax dollars, just like the rest of us - which is enough, from my perspective.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:02 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,460,483 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyber Queen
Just wanted to second this post. I completely agree.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:03 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,768,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

I've donated money, and like another poster mentioned I pay taxes and those help too, also my fiancee is fund raising for Haiti.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:09 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,278,326 times
Quote:
It's not that they are sending solar powered Bibles, it's the TIMING of sending them. In a couple of weeks, fine, send them but right now they are having a lot of trouble with the airport being clogged up and getting food and water to everyone. Why add to that bottle neck with non-life supporting stuff? In my area there's a kid who started a teddy bear drive for the kids of Haiti. I say the same about sending those---wait a few weeks for comfort articles.

By the way, you're 'hate verbiage' does nothing to put Christians in a good light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen
Oh yes it is so horrible that they give a Bible to people of which almost 90% ARE CHRISTIANS!!! Oh the horror.
70% of all Haiti's are Catholic according to CNN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies