Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:44 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,795,912 times

Advertisements

US Spokesmen Shrug Off Complaints as Medical Aid Flights Blocked

by Jason Ditz, January 18, 2010

A growing war of words is emerging tonight as the US military, ostensibly dispatched to Haiti to help with humanitarian efforts in the wake of a disastrous earthquake, is being accused to blocking aid from entering the nation as well as flights for non-American citizens from leaving.

This is about helping Haiti, not about occupying Haiti,” cautioned one French minister, who slammed US troops that seized Haiti’s only airport and have since been directing traffic as it suits them.

Doctors Without Borders, one of the world’s most high profile aid groups and the recipients of several major donations for Haitian relief efforts, complained that the US military actually blocked several flights carrying badly needed medical supplies, including inflatable emergency hospitals, ordering them to divert to the Dominican Republic instead.

Aid Groups, Nations Complain US Military Blocking Haiti Aid -- News from Antiwar.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 10:15 PM

39,808 posts, read 26,327,258 times
While I suspect the quotes are probably taken out of context, or at least without looking at the big picture, I am supprised. I didn't think antiwar.com would actually critize anything done by the Obama administration.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,193,087 times
Let's see..one runway not in great condition, no air traffic control tower and limited gas.
Wouldn't you be diverting planes too ? The C-130's can handle dirt and a messed up tarmac.

I'm forming no opinion here..plenty of medics and supplies HAVE made it into Haiti.
There could have been a number of reasons why the plane was diverted all valid and maybe had priority depending on the cargo.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:42 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,205,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
While I suspect the quotes are probably taken out of context, or at least without looking at the big picture, I am supprised. I didn't think antiwar.com would actually critize anything done by the Obama administration.
Why would that surprise you unless you hold preconceived notions about antiwar.com and Obama?

Simple partisanship?

Old 01-19-2010, 11:02 PM

39,808 posts, read 26,327,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why would that surprise you unless you hold preconceived notions about antiwar.com and Obama?

Simple partisanship?
Not so much preconceived notions as what I have picked up from spending time at that site. Conservative bad, Liberal good, blahblahblah. As such I didn't expect them to be critcial of the Obama administrations actions. Everyone slips up once in a while.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:14 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,738,196 times
This thread ended with happytexans post.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:04 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,772,089 times
One weird thing also is why were the Israeli medics able to set up shop very fast and we weren't or weren't allowed to do things that fast ....and the Bolivian Army had the right idea as well to just start passing out supplies as soon as they found people in need...but we kinda didnt do that ...not saying people arent helping ..im just trying to see if it is just coincidence or what?

Old 01-20-2010, 02:08 AM

153 posts, read 103,213 times
im disappointed in the rest of the world. they b*tch about the US military blocking aid to Haiti, but they dont send there military to help. its like in iraq and afganistan, we ask for some support then they send like 5 soldiers.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:17 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,416,275 times
How dare the US Military go to a broken down airport, bring in supplies needed to run the airport, and direct airplane traffic going to and from the one and only runway at this airport. How dare they do this?! How dare the US Navy send ships loaded with supplies and troops to Haiti? How dare those ships continue to produce clean drinking water at a rate of over 500,000 gallons a day combined total. How dare those ships perform operations on the wounded people of Haiti? How dare they use their helicopters to fly supplies and wounded? Oh the horror. Our nation's military performing a humanitarian mission. And here I thought they were just a bunch of murderous trained killers. At least that's what we hear from some liberals.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:19 AM

153 posts, read 103,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
How dare the US Military go to a broken down airport, bring in supplies needed to run the airport, and direct airplane traffic going to and from the one and only runway at this airport. How dare they do this?! How dare the US Navy send ships loaded with supplies and troops to Haiti? How dare those ships continue to produce clean drinking water at a rate of over 500,000 gallons a day combined total. How dare those ships perform operations on the wounded people of Haiti? How dare they use their helicopters to fly supplies and wounded? Oh the horror. Our nation's military performing a humanitarian mission. And here I thought they were just a bunch of murderous trained killers. At least that's what we hear from some liberals.
the US military is the devil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies