Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Haiti prove to be a test of the Republican Party's new found strength?
Answer A. 1 16.67%
Answer B. 0 0%
Answer C. 1 16.67%
Answer D. 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:17 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times

Advertisements

Haiti earthquake: Plan would send Haiti earthquake survivors to Orlando - OrlandoSentinel.com

Orange County Mayor Rich Crotty said the large number of evacuees coming to the area from Haiti could pose problems for Orlando.

"We're very stressed financially right now, and this is going to add to that stress," Crotty said. "So this is a balance we're going to have to work on strengthening."

Catholic Charities and other South Florida immigrant rights organizations also are planning an ambitious effort to airlift thousands of Haitian children left orphaned in the aftermath of Tuesday's horrific earthquake — a move mirroring Operation Pedro Pan in the 1960s.

"We will use the model we used 40 years ago with Pedro Pan to bring these orphans to the United States to give them a lifeline, a bright and hopeful future," Catholic Charities Legal Services executive director Randolph McGrorty said Thursday at a news conference in the offices of Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart.

Will Haiti prove to be a test of the Republican Party's new found strength?

A. No. Support for Republican candidates will grow.

B. Yes. As Catholic Republicans and independents support bringing Haitians to the US, a division will occur with anti-immigration arm of the party.

C. Yes. Racist support will drop off.

D. Yes. Will post my logic below.

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 01-19-2010 at 08:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 10:17 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Wow this is one hell of a question. Depending on how the spin doctors go is how it will go. Any elections in future all candidates (D's & R's) will be running on fiscal conservative platform for quite some time. How this story would fit into that national priority... slippery slope.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:03 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
I voted for option D even though I don't have any idea what it means!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:30 AM

297 posts, read 519,967 times
I'm going to skip the GOP question and just give my opinion on the article: I feel bad for Floridians right now. Can Orlando handle an influx of people? Can the schools handle it? Where are these people going to live? It's not like they are going to be able to buy houses in the 'burbs or something. They will have to be put in public housing. Do we have room for thousands of Haitians when millions of Americans do not have jobs? Then this public housing is always in bad neighborhoods where the schools most definitely cannot handle hundreds of new students. These neighborhoods already have crime and then you add more people....which will mean even more crime. What jobs are these people going to get? They have no skills whatsoever and considering that I could have a PhD and not be able to find a job, I doubt they will have any luck and it would be wrong to take the jobs away from people who actually live here.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Interesting question. Just where would a few thousand orphaned BLACK kids be welcome and have half a chance while they were growing up? I don't see Florida as a likely place for this to happen. I don't really see anyplace for this to happen. Many of the child raisers of this country are already too economically stressed to take on another child. The rest don’t want black kids.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:38 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Haiti? As a conservative, the LAST thing that will be on my mind at the ballot box are earthquakes and crumbled houses in foreign countries.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:43 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
No i the end it will be like new oralens ;in that it will have liitle efect o voters in teh future. Bascailly these type storiesw as polical fodder endup havign little effect.It really loks to me like theones that hjave taken over the haiti apeal is two foremr presidents who know that putting ploitics into teh mix only hurts efforst to get the job done. they alos realise that the professionals who deal witht hese matters in all cases are the real difference makers and that funding is critical to giving them the tools. Not any politcal postruing by either party

Old 01-20-2010, 12:04 PM

297 posts, read 519,967 times
Quote:
Interesting question. Just where would a few thousand orphaned BLACK kids be welcome and have half a chance while they were growing up? I don't see Florida as a likely place for this to happen. I don't really see anyplace for this to happen. Many of the child raisers of this country are already too economically stressed to take on another child. The rest don’t want black kids.

I definitely think they should make adoption of Haitian children more easier and faster. But like you said, you will have a problem getting people to actually adopt with the recession. I know that my parents could afford another child but they would never adopt a child---not just from Haiti but from anywhere. Personally, I think it would be awesome if they adopted but I think they would be too old--- my dad's going to be 56 in May and my mom is 55.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:03 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler92 View Post

I definitely think they should make adoption of Haitian children more easier and faster. But like you said, you will have a problem getting people to actually adopt with the recession. I know that my parents could afford another child but they would never adopt a child---not just from Haiti but from anywhere. Personally, I think it would be awesome if they adopted but I think they would be too old--- my dad's going to be 56 in May and my mom is 55.
The Haitian government is what is slowing down adoptions out of Haiti. There are accounts in the years past of children stolen, placed in fake orphanages and sent oversees for $$. The Haitians, to protect their children, have slowed down the adoption process to be absolutely sure they are not adopting children that have families already. Waiting can take over 3 years.

Yes, your parents are beyond the limits placed on parent looking to adopt a Haitian child. Again, these limits are imposed by the Haitian government.

Haitian girl infants are often in short supply and parents looking to adopt a female infant are waitlisted.

To the OP, I have no idea of the poll's premise. Are you implying that the Republican party is racist?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:07 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Haiti? As a conservative, the LAST thing that will be on my mind at the ballot box are earthquakes and crumbled houses in foreign countries.
Damn straight. Fix this country first so we HAVE money to give to foreign countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies