Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 09:37 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
What about disallowing the Banking and Health Care companies any ability to give Political Contributions to politicians?

This way, these industries will actually pay attention to their consumer demands and react to please THE PEOPLE. I mean, none of our politicians voting on this Bill actually have to be covered by it. They're exempt....(Things that make you go "hmmm")
You must have missed the Supreme Court decision yesterday that would disallow such a law. Proactive conservative judges decided that corporations have the same rights as people, more or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 09:45 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
I dont think there should be any contributions to any politician by anybody of any corporations

let the candidates stand on their own credntials and views, and let the people vote........we have gone too far to the most popular with the most money wins....that needs to stop too

Old 01-22-2010, 09:56 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
I've wondered about this. Considering how much of private insurance costs are administrative, overhead, lobbying, sales and marketing, will the cost go down appreciable for high deductible private plans?

I, too, have been mulling over the idea that public universal health care for major medical care and a high deductible for drugs and office visits would be more cost effective for most people.
Sure, the operating costs will be lowered for the insurance company because many of their products won't kick in until the customer has reached $10-20k of out of pocket medical expenses. Not to mention the bulk of these high deductible plans have a coinsurance rate of 80/20 after the deductible is met.

Will the consumer get a good product at a lower retail price? Or will the premium rates continue to skyrocket and will the operating cost savings be exclusively reflected in the insurance companies bottom line? As a business owner, I think the latter.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:09 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Sure, the operating costs will be lowered for the insurance company because many of their products won't kick in until the customer has reached $10-20k of out of pocket medical expenses. Not to mention the bulk of these high deductible plans have a coinsurance rate of 80/20 after the deductible is met.

Will the consumer get a good product at a lower retail price? Or will the premium rates continue to skyrocket and will the operating cost savings be exclusively reflected in the insurance companies bottom line? As a business owner, I think the latter.
Well no, the Ins Cos would certainly pass on any savings. After all, aren't they the great benevolent American enterprise? They, like Exxon etc, would not take advantage of their position, would they?

Old 01-22-2010, 10:14 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Well no, the Ins Cos would certainly pass on any savings. After all, aren't they the great benevolent American enterprise? They, like Exxon etc, would not take advantage of their position, would they?
Love the sarcasm. We both know insurance companies will keep sticking it to us...HARD!

Old 01-22-2010, 10:42 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,455,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post

That's dead on...unfortunately. Which is one reason I like the idea of non-profit options.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:39 AM

272 posts, read 295,603 times
Read this. The reason why is because this could happen to any of us even if we have insurance.
Cancer patient's battle to save money on medical treatment - MSN Money

Old 01-22-2010, 12:04 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
But to date there's been no multi institutional cross state study done how much defensive medicine really costs.
"Defensive medicine"?

You mean when doctors or hospitals do tests or perform services that are not medically necessary to protect themselves from malpractice liability?

There's another more accurate term for that: insurance fraud.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:20 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,691,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Say what?

I answered the question with the best answer I have. Are you so cynical that you think that was a nasty response? My god, what has this country come to when someone can twist my response into something hateful?
Not sure why you think it was directed at your post, which was a nice post.

The post spoke of taking care of people, and reminded me of how hateful some posts can be when people disagree without being agreeable, and by making cutting remarks that actually end up hurting people. That's all.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:33 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
One thing seems to be missing in this debate and that is the impact of illegal immigration and now the 400,000 Haitian refugees that will be coming here and the impact that it has on our resources. Do you think if we were not importing more and more poverty, we may actually have enough money to have some kind of policy for those who need it and can't afford it? It is simply too much to ask of taxpayers to continue the drain without addressing our population. I know there is another forum but I see this as a huge impact on our ability to provide care for our own poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies