Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Over the next 20 years, will we become more divided as a nation or less?
More divided 31 72.09%
More united 5 11.63%
We'll be about the same as we are today 7 16.28%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:11 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Why not go all the way? Here. I'll help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO43p2Wqc08

Yikes, those are some, em, macho men?! And to think I always thought the Village People were gay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:14 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
I believe the two party system will be the downfall of this country, it encourages a black & white view of a multi hued world.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:14 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Yikes, those are some, em, macho men?!
I know. It's strange to see what we accepted as entertainment back then without cringing, isn't it? Things were much different.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:15 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,436 times
Quote:
The diversity of this country is unprecedented, and I believe that the proliferation of lifestyles and media that cater to our every whim and inclination will actually facilitate greater divisions between the American people in the years ahead.

Agree or disagree?
I would tend to agree with such an assessment as yours and this could be more apparent in various parts of the country, between urbanites/ruralites, and possibly.....many different ways and reasons, but there very likely could become such a deep division that truly sets a lot of progress..... made over the last 40 years......back decades. (Civil Rights and many others).
At the same time, many people will always believe that some form of separation or isolation from something or someone is a must. That they may completely disagree with or not wish to ever accept or agree.....will always be necessary by whatever means possible.
Only goes back throughout history with the "need" for borders.
Separation by rivers, mountain ranges and water have always helped......walls and fences are only as good as any link in a chain.
No good with rampant or epidemic corruption any more than worthless foreign policies.

The division will probably increase for a while.....then, hopefully....decrease.
Don't know for sure so I didn't vote.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:17 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
I know. It's strange to see what we accepted as entertainment back then without cringing, isn't it? Things were much different.

I know it was such subtle art back then!

Old 01-21-2010, 07:26 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
I bet most social scientists would say we're more divided now than we were 30 years ago, without a doubt.
I remember 40 years ago very well and even Viet Nam did not cause as much political divisiveness as we see today. In fact, I believe it is the memories of those times that forms a foundation for the anger felt by many older Americans now.

I would cautiously compare today's divisiveness as that seen prior to the Civil War but I can only go by what I read. I had a cousin who was shot in the stomach in a pre-Civil War argument in Alabama so we have certainly reached that level of anger in America already. The only thing restricting such events are a lot more police than in 1860. However, even this has not stopped some of the anger from spilling into our streets and schools.

The pot is boiling heavily now. Will someone, or some event, be able to turn down the heat or will the pot explode? I'm hoping for the first scenario but am somewhat prepared for the second.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 685 times
Actually the current data shows independents gaining, the registered Democratics shrinking and the registered republicans taking a very slight dip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies