Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Beretta, Sig and Glock are not American companies (though some do have US affliates). US laws wouldn't apply to them, so we don't know if they were doing the same thing or not.

The law is antiquated, and does nothing but hurt American companies. It doesn't address corruption on the other end. This is one place where it would be nice to see trade laws equal the playing field. If overseas companies use these practices they should be banned from selling in the US.
Agree with you about antiquated trade laws. But, the law is the law, until it is changed. Doesn't make what they did, if proven guilty, right.

A number of foreign owned firearms manufacturers do manufacture firearms here in the USA just as S&W. Are you suggesting that because a firearms company may be Austrian family owned that when operating/manufacturing in the USA it is not subject to the same Federal laws as a publically traded US firearm manufacturer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 02:55 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Agree with you about antiquated trade laws. But, the law is the law, until it is changed. Doesn't make what they did, if proven guilty, right.

How do you figure that if a US based VP of any foreign owned firearms corporation were similarly involved, as it seems S&W may have been, that our laws would not equally appy?

A number of foreign owned firearms manufacturers do manufacture firearms here in the USA just as S&W.
Very true, Beretta and FNH come to mind, both have US operations as well as foreign ones, and are foreign owned (Italy and Belgium I believe). I would think that if the "deal" and production were to take place from their foreign facilities that US laws wouldn't apply. I would expect that if manufacturing were done in the US they would. I have no idea if this is true though.

The other thing I just remembered, I believe Smith and Wesson is actually owned by a British company, forget the name. Legal issues may be muddied by that.

TGIANAL

Old 01-21-2010, 02:56 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,765,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Which corporation would our Justice Department want to run a sting on, a gun manufacturing company or a window manufacturing company that our VP has done so much to promote? We both know but the thing that worries me most is if the wanting to get S & W might be connected to the desire to take our guns away. We all know about that being something that the administration wants to do as soon as possible. Even to violating the Constitution because they can't amend it to do what they want.

That is the thing that bothers me most about this story.

COME ON........no one wants to take your guns away.......Automatic assault rifles maybe.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:57 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,386,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
right after bush, cheney, and rummy go to prison for war crimes

care to source your statement?
care to like open your eyes and ears for half a second and actually pay attention? my chihuahua could recognize one of those bribes, but then again he doesn't hang on to old things from days gone by.
typical can't think for themselves response from a leftist. Say anything to them and they spew out bush, cheney, haliburton. It's beyond old and lame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
COME ON........no one wants to take your guns away.......Automatic assault rifles maybe.
and we have us a gun expert here

a what? care to give an example of one of those? I love people who spew with no knowledge of the subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
What do you think? They only repeat, they don't actually read.
kettle! or is it pot? long time no see

no change either

back to the topic.. that law they're accused of breaking is stupid and should be removed. That's how business is. What business does the US government have in trying to regulate this?
and why did they specifically call out S&W? I already know the answer and it's stupid as well.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:58 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,779,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Smith & Wesson Executive Among 22 Accused of Bribery (Update3)

Smith & Wesson Executive Among 22 Accused of Bribery (Update3) - BusinessWeek
I hope the NRA will join me in saying I'd shoot them. I uphold 2nd amendment, and hope justice is served right to the end. No powder puff jail time, no slap on the wrist fines.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Every time you're asked for a link in support of your allegations, you deflect or call names.

Please provide links to your assertions when you are asked.
You present opinions as facts and refuse to provide any backup.
It's a credibility issue.

its ok I don't expect blood from a stone.......or facts from someone just spreading lies

Old 01-21-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
care to like open your eyes and ears for half a second and actually pay attention? my chihuahua could recognize one of those bribes, but then again he doesn't hang on to old things from days gone by.
typical can't think for themselves response from a leftist. Say anything to them and they spew out bush, cheney, haliburton. It's beyond old and lame.

and we have us a gun expert here

a what? care to give an example of one of those? I love people who spew with no knowledge of the subject

kettle! or is it pot? long time no see

no change either

back to the topic.. that law they're accused of breaking is stupid and should be removed. That's how business is. What business does the US government have in trying to regulate this?
and why did they specifically call out S&W? I already know the answer and it's stupid as well.

so i assume you can prove with actually info the bribes and plans to take all guns away?

The right wing is so gullible....all they hear is god and guns vote repub

Old 01-21-2010, 03:06 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,386,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I hope the NRA will join me in saying I'd shoot them. I uphold 2nd amendment, and hope justice is served right to the end. No powder puff jail time, no slap on the wrist fines.
seriously? do you actually mean that?

get help!

Old 01-21-2010, 03:06 PM

23,542 posts, read 17,216,356 times
The law is the law but..............it needs to be revisited

or

needs to be practised at home first with plenty of examples very close to the Whitehouse such as the guy selling super insulated windows whose wife is heading a related arm of Obama's administration.

J&J was in the papers a dozen or so years ago for an exec accused of bribing some official in Sweeden or some such Nordic country. J&J is still in business and doing quite well.

A late, huge name in EU pharma would routinely suggest bribes and was told quietly the FDA doesn't do business like that.

International trade is often replete with bribes as a way of doing business.

Want to be competetive globally you can't hamstring companies. Change the law. You know, the international laws some administrators and judges want to supercede US law!! Can't be much of a stretch to that.

What is getting everyone's dander up about this post/article is that armament providers were targeted. This is a favorite pursuit of the far left. Coincidence? could be.

The article mentions that one of those arrested was from S&W and fails the mention the companies the other 22 perps represented. Why was that ? That is the stuff that stinks and sheds suspicion on the administration and news media.

Then we hear it has to do with an African country!!! Good grief lock em' up and throw away the key!

Is that senator that had the 90K wrapped in his freezer still an active legislator?

Nancy Pelosi whose hubby is financially involved with raising pineapples on Guam or Samoa gets a sweetheart deal which gives those islanders a decided advantage over other competing companies.

Until the US AG starts meting out justice without perceived bias it sure looks like somebody has a silent agenda. The closer to home the cleanup starts the more credibility we will have in the US AG's office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies