Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support or oppose Biblical references on military weapons?
Support 13 18.31%
Oppose 38 53.52%
Don't care 20 28.17%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:33 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times

Advertisements

We already have a lengthy thread on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 08:35 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
We already have a lengthy thread on this topic.
I know there was a discussion about the discovery of the Biblical references, but the news about them being removed is new. Originally, the manufacturer said they had no intentions of removing them.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:36 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Good. We shouldn't have Biblical references on our military weapons.
Why not? Afraid we might offend the people we are shooting at?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
They've been there for 18 years and an atheist would have no clue what they meant.
Just another "nit" for some PC maniac to cry about.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:38 PM

8 posts, read 8,666 times
How would this be any different than those on the other side yelling Allah Akbar when they blow themselfs up?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:40 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
People need to quit being so easily offended.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:40 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Why not? Afraid we might offend the people we are shooting at?
No, but a defense official is:

The defense official conceded that sights were problematic because the U.S. could turn them over to Iraqi or Afghan partners. Sights with Biblical references, the official said, are "definitely not appropriate."

Personally, my problem with the Biblical inscriptions is due to the fact that not everyone in the military is religious. But more importantly, I just think it's best to leave religion out of government operations. If soldiers want to pray, they can do that on their own time.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No, but a defense official is:

The defense official conceded that sights were problematic because the U.S. could turn them over to Iraqi or Afghan partners. Sights with Biblical references, the official said, are "definitely not appropriate."

Personally, my problem with the Biblical inscriptions is due to the fact that not everyone in the military is religious. But more importantly, I just think it's best to leave religion out of government operations. If soldiers want to pray, they can do that on their own time.
Or they can go see the Chaplain, a member of the military.

It hasn't bothered anyone, anyone for 18 years and now they're screaming in the streets about 2-3 letters and a number next to the serial number.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:53 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAsucks View Post
How would this be any different than those on the other side yelling Allah Akbar when they blow themselfs up?
May I take a guess here and say, because they are on the other side?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:07 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,765,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I wouldn't call a unintended casualty murder per say because it wasn't on purpose however it is another reason why war should be thought out seriously and why saying righteousness is on your side for going to war should be humble. Carpet bombing a civilian city is a grey area as far as casualties, every nation and people on Earth have blood on their hands that way. It might have been effective at defeating a enemy but still....

Some have stated God kills also and used a graph to demonstrate statistics, so it is alright to do so among man. Maybe, maybe not it depends on personal view but I wouldn't assume that, just like instead of using a graph to justify using select biblical quote to justify. And also I wouldn't use biblical quotes of wisdom on a weapon or weapon part to justify or try to convince oneself that they are in good grace. I think only the almighty can judge or determine righteousness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Manslaughter maybe, but not murder.
I think you guys are missing the point by trying to nit pick definitions. The reality is that no matter what you call it innocent people are dead in all the situations mentioned. You cannot possibly say that an all loving, all accepting god would approve of this. My issue is that people who use the bible as a fall back can use it for literally anything they do. You can justify abortion, murder, wife abuse, homosexuality, literally anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies