Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support or oppose Biblical references on military weapons?
Support 13 18.31%
Oppose 38 53.52%
Don't care 20 28.17%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 05:07 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Give me a break! Get lost!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 05:08 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
It gives the enemy fodder to brainwash thier idiots and call this a crusade. Recall, W used this term but retracted it quickly. Let us keep all religious codes and markings out of our weapons. We are not (any) god's army.
You're right. Someone in the article was quoted as saying: "It allows the Mujahedeen, the Taliban, al Qaeda and the insurrectionists and jihadists to claim they're being shot by Jesus rifles."

I'm actually not surprise that the maker of those scopes is from my home state of Michigan. We have a lot of people and businesses in West Michigan who like to plaster Biblical quotes all over everything. That's just plain wrong and illegal to put them on federally contracted items.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:10 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You're right. Someone in the article was quoted as saying: "It allows the Mujahedeen, the Taliban, al Qaeda and the insurrectionists and jihadists to claim they're being shot by Jesus rifles."

I'm actually not surprise that the maker of those scopes is from my home state of Michigan. We have a lot of people and businesses in West Michigan who like to plaster Biblical quotes all over everything. That's just plain wrong and illegal to put them on federally contracted items.
Although it is the US that is fighting the war, it sometimes feels that some in the religious right think it is kinda like the crusades. It is illegal, and now that it has come to attention, will be remedied. Of course, FOX will scream about the war on christians or something like that...

Old 01-18-2010, 05:18 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
First, if it discourages a Muslim from using a US rifle and potentially turning it on an American, good. Lets baptise them in pig's blood before we issue them.

These sights are on rifles issued to the US military, not necessarily the ANA. As an athiest it doesn't bother me that it's there, and wouldn't if I were in the military. If it happens to provides some comfort to the predominantly Christian men serving in our military, so much the better. Given the conditions and restrictions our service men and women operate under, and the cowards they fight that hide behind women and children, I would be happy to know that some might get some solice from these messages.
You sound like reverse Taliban. Too bad those "cowards" have to fight an occupier out of caves and on horseback and then turn to blowing themselves up. That may be cowardly to you, and those who think like you, but not to the rest of us.

I bet you thought the VC and NVA were "cowards" too.......

(HINT: This is gonna turn out alot like Vietnam, just watch...)

Old 01-18-2010, 05:22 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake
First, if it discourages a Muslim from using a US rifle and potentially turning it on an American, good. Lets baptise them in pig's blood before we issue them.

These sights are on rifles issued to the US military, not necessarily the ANA. As an athiest it doesn't bother me that it's there, and wouldn't if I were in the military. If it happens to provides some comfort to the predominantly Christian men serving in our military, so much the better. Given the conditions and restrictions our service men and women operate under, and the cowards they fight that hide behind women and children, I would be happy to know that some might get some solice from these messages.
What about the separation of church and state? Does it bother you that these rifle sights break that restriction and tax payer dollars are paying for those Biblical verses?

Old 01-18-2010, 06:55 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
"For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ."
(Jesus as) "the light of the world."
"Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

Those were the Bible verses if you looked them up.
Hardly threatening or violent. If anything, they are uplifting and hopeful.

We don't need your anti-Christian views, intolerance and fear-mongering here.
Seriously? They are putting Bible versus on guns used for war. Do you not see a problem with that? Do you think Jesus would be out there fighting in the war, shooting people if need be? If not, then don't put new testament versus on our guns. If so, then I think you need to read the new testament again.

We are defending America, not going to war in the name of Jesus.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:26 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Why would anyone practicing a Christian faith want their religion associated with a weapon that kills?

Old 01-18-2010, 09:50 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You sound like reverse Taliban. Too bad those "cowards" have to fight an occupier out of caves and on horseback and then turn to blowing themselves up. That may be cowardly to you, and those who think like you, but not to the rest of us.

I bet you thought the VC and NVA were "cowards" too.......

(HINT: This is gonna turn out alot like Vietnam, just watch...)
Nice try, but these loosers aren't soldiers or heros by any streatch of the imagination. They don't have the courage to wear a uniform and resort to hiding behind women and children. In any war, people that resort to these tactics are summarily treated as spies and hung.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:54 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
What about the separation of church and state? Does it bother you that these rifle sights break that restriction and tax payer dollars are paying for those Biblical verses?
Actually, no. Or at least not to any extent. We aren't paying extra to have some tiny code printed on them as far as I know. I have more of an issue with tax dollars are used to pay for nativity scenes around xmas time, but I'm not exactly militant about that. In the case of these rifle scopes, if a tiny legand brings some comfort to some in our military I have no problem with it.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:58 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Better question would be: "who would kill Jesus?" Answer: Bible-belt Christians or so-called Christian because they aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies