Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 04:16 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

Although it is not about inheriting as such, I guess this illustrates what I think is wrong with the way rich people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 05:33 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Nobody is saying that income is directly related to amount of work
Allow me to disagree. Thousands of posts on C-D are about "hard working people" who made their money by working hard and that money is at stake. The "lazy" are those targeting the "hard working" fellows, etc etc. Of course that is a total BS, but the propaganda machine finds this simplistic slogan to be working well. Some truly believe that if you start digging ditches or carrying heavy loads on your back, money will follow... They also forget to mention that most people who made big bucks did it while working for themselves, not when working by the hour for an employer,,,
However, as you say, reality is complex and many factors contribute to the final outcome.
I personally do not read books by someone who got rich, and each case is individual. That said, I think that those people spend much less time with their families and friends and that may be the factor that contributes to their alienation. It happens to busy politicians as well.

Last edited by oberon_1; 01-25-2010 at 05:42 PM..

Old 01-25-2010, 05:58 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Although it is not about inheriting as such, I guess this illustrates what I think is wrong with the way rich people think.
This is America and people should have the right to do with thier money, or any thing else, as they see fit. It is nobody's business but thiers.

What you think doesn't matter when it comes to others people's money.

IMO, that is one of the things wrong today. Everybody wants to tell every else what to do.

Most "super" rich give more money than most people can imagine.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:28 PM

980 posts, read 1,147,139 times
Default This is not a tax issue

Wealth Distribution has changed in America, because WE LOST OUR GOOD JOBS TO FOREIGN COMPETITION, which our leaders should have protected us from. They betrayed us.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
This is America and people should have the right to do with thier money, or any thing else, as they see fit. It is nobody's business but thiers.

What you think doesn't matter when it comes to others people's money.

IMO, that is one of the things wrong today. Everybody wants to tell every else what to do.

Most "super" rich give more money than most people can imagine.
Of course they have the right to do with their money what they want, not just in the US. But that legal right does not make them immune to my and other people's criticism regarding their moral standards. Nobody is an island... Especially artists who get their money from society more directly than most other rich people, i.e. via record sales, concerts etc., and who obviously make their private lives very public.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
Wealth Distribution has changed in America, because WE LOST OUR GOOD JOBS TO FOREIGN COMPETITION, which our leaders should have protected us from. They betrayed us.
Well, it is somewhat contradictory to go around the world and promote the free market, the supply and demand mantra etc., and at the same time protect one's own market from the competition

Old 01-26-2010, 04:17 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Not very damn many, as we both know.

43 years ago I entered the workforce believing quite the opposite. 'Course....43 years ago I'd guess there actually were a few more examples of scrupulous success. But 43 years later scruples are the butt of jokes and are nothing but hurdles one must learn to jump in order to get ahead.

Those who don't understand this are either just starting out in adult life as I was in 1967 or are just continuing in a life long nap.
Tell me about it. Watched business ethics tank in the 80's and it never seemed to bounce back. The irony that under the guise of capitalism, they cannibalized it. Anyone who can acquire small biz skills are infinitely better off than working for a private employer.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:01 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, it is somewhat contradictory to go around the world and promote the free market, the supply and demand mantra etc., and at the same time protect one's own market from the competition
This post is a bit confusing to me because Chef is absolutely right on this point. If your stance is truly to hold the rich accountable and socially responsible for their actions, you cannot give them a pass on this issue. This point is the primary one whereby they have placed a much higher value on building their own personal fortunes in short term than on their country's longer term well being.

Now, I'm by no means defending the overseas marketing activities of US companies. There is no doubt plenty of valid criticism there. But those of us who were adults in the 80s saw clearly ahead the destruction of the middle class and associated reduction in living standard caused by the greed of big business. Today much of the wealth formerly enjoyed by middle class Americans flows overseas and to the top 1 or 2 percent. It isn't right and it didn't have to happen.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
This post is a bit confusing to me because Chef is absolutely right on this point. If your stance is truly to hold the rich accountable and socially responsible for their actions, you cannot give them a pass on this issue. This point is the primary one whereby they have placed a much higher value on building their own personal fortunes in short term than on their country's longer term well being.

Now, I'm by no means defending the overseas marketing activities of US companies. There is no doubt plenty of valid criticism there. But those of us who were adults in the 80s saw clearly ahead the destruction of the middle class and associated reduction in living standard caused by the greed of big business. Today much of the wealth formerly enjoyed by middle class Americans flows overseas and to the top 1 or 2 percent. It isn't right and it didn't have to happen.
I was simply being sarcastic. I find it odd when the US or European countries go around the world preaching free markets etc., when at the same time they call for the protection of certain industries at home. For instance we dump our agriculture on African markets, thus destroying their farmers, but when African countries protect their markets the US and other countries are the first to complain to those international trade organizations.
It is all a bit hypocritical...

Regarding your industries in the US, some of them were simply not cheap and oftentimes modern enough anymore compared to Japanese cars, Indian programmers, Asian consumer electronics. I find it really weird that a country as obsessed with consumer electronics as the US totally depends on Asia. Without Asia Americans could no longer watch TV. In my view it is very dangerous to give up manufacturing and concentrate on services and intellectual property. It's like a hot dog without the sausage

Old 01-26-2010, 06:11 PM

980 posts, read 1,147,139 times
When America was developing its own industries, they needed protection, because they couldn't compete! Once America gained that edge over foreigners, where we could dominate them in competition, then it was to America's advantage to push free trade I like to see America win, The Chinese may not, but I do!

That edge, however, doesn't last forever!!! At some point, and that was decades ago, you've got to say, the foreigners are getting too good at this, we need to go back to protection, until we can dominate them again. Unfortunately, nobody closed the door. So now, we get beat up all over the place. Our leaders, however, seem oblivious to this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies