Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And to think they knew this and were trying to ram that healthcare bill through anyway....what a bunch of X#$$%@#
That be pettifoggers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 10:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Glenn Beck, love him or hate him, this was a funny bit he did. but first a little info is needed.

The democrats want to raise the debt ceiling by another $1.9 TRILLION!! Beck lays out to Americans a bit of perspective on how much money this is.

With $1.9 TRILLION .......

We could cover over $6,000 in credit card debt for every single American

We could pay off 10 million American home mortgages, at up to $200,000 each

We could buy each member of the US Congress 75 Gulfstream 5 jets.

We could buy the total economic output for the countries of Brazil and Ireland

We could buy 422 brand new nuclear powered aircraft carriers.

We could buy back every piece of merchandise we exported from Jan 2008 thru June 2009

$1.9 freaking trillion dollars!!! How about, we just stop the democrats from spending and printing all our money, then we can save $1.9 trillion dollars.

Just think if the 11/2 billon spent so far in the last year had been used to do those things. That would put alot of people to work.Does the democrats really beleiev that we are going to fall for the save and creat jobs again like the stimulus. I mean they even are talking about massicve inferastrucutre porjects again. I want to see those promised in the stimulus package. Bet they next say they have projects shovel ready. Not long ago CNN ;no conservative network said on the Chris mathews show that they had checked and the spending on infrastructure from the stimulus amounted to the same as the Boston Big Dig for the entire United States.The rest has gone to specail interest groups and Pork.Fool me once shame on me;fool me twice shame on you; Mr. Elected offical.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:43 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnt-User View Post
I wonder how long untill China stops lending and starts knocking on the door for money.
No knock, the booming bama is going to '''give''' them Califhony.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasTraveler View Post
That be pettifoggers?
What an apt word. Thank you. That's exactly what fits that sentence .

Old 01-21-2010, 11:22 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Glenn Beck, love him or hate him, this was a funny bit he did. but first a little info is needed.

The democrats want to raise the debt ceiling by another $1.9 TRILLION!! Beck lays out to Americans a bit of perspective on how much money this is.

With $1.9 TRILLION .......

We could cover over $6,000 in credit card debt for every single American

We could pay off 10 million American home mortgages, at up to $200,000 each

We could buy each member of the US Congress 75 Gulfstream 5 jets.

We could buy the total economic output for the countries of Brazil and Ireland

We could buy 422 brand new nuclear powered aircraft carriers.

We could buy back every piece of merchandise we exported from Jan 2008 thru June 2009

$1.9 freaking trillion dollars!!! How about, we just stop the democrats from spending and printing all our money, then we can save $1.9 trillion dollars.

This might have been considered silly and preposterous 6 months ago but this is getting pretty scary now...

The economic ignorance and insanity of this administration is a grave threat to our very survival as a nation. People NEED to wake up and realize that if this trend of deficit spending continues, very dire consequences are sure to happen. Our own currency is in serious danger right now and I think most people are complacent in thinking nothing terribly bad will ever happen to the US.

The warning flags are up, its time to people become aware of whats at stake.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:26 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is just a matter of time, before you see the infamous double dip. The writing was on the wall 1930,s comes to mind. If you do the same thing over and over and expect the same results, is stupidity/insanity.
What should we have done then? If I recall the GOP stood behind Bush's TARP, but when Obama continued, they screamed "Let them fail."

So pretend for a minute that you are actually going to have a conversation here for once....what would you have done? Just "Let it fail"?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:31 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
What should we have done then? If I recall the GOP stood behind Bush's TARP, but when Obama continued, they screamed "Let them fail."

So pretend for a minute that you are actually going to have a conversation here for once....what would you have done? Just "Let it fail"?
Actually fyi most conservatives didn't really support Bushes TARP. There are a few things conservatives didn't support Bush on...

I personally think TARP is fine assuming the companies pay back their loan 100% + interest given back to the tax payers. However, if that money was given to companies without the obligation to repay, it would be a joke...

Old 01-21-2010, 11:39 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Well Tn, my opinion of the military is that they should be used for defense not offense.
Conquering other nations is not what our military stands for.

But I'm afraid the military/industrial complex is pretty powerful as we venture further in more countries.

We are on borrowed time with borrowed money and we continue to borrow more.
I don't know how much longer it can go on..I'm surprised we've made it this far from 2007.
Well HappyTexan, you and I agree on this. While I understand that our military can be used as a tool or an option to enforce policy abroad, I would think this is the last resort, not a top option of choice.

Here is a link to General Smedly Butler, "War is a Racket" which I offer in reluctance as it is disheartening. Its a bit of a read but if you find yourself with some time, its a most excellent read.

WAR IS A RACKET - Major General Smedley D. Butler - USMC Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I didn't see the quote you were referring to within this thread??
You are getting the 2 sets of books the government figures debt by, mixed up to suit your agenda, with the quote that is not within this thread.
That was awful progressive of you.
Since you didn't see who I quoted within the thread you assume that I'm some Liberal? Funny because its usually some of the Liberals suggesting I shine my tin foil Ron Paul for President hat.

However, I did forget the link, so by all means here you go.

Dems seek cover to boost debt limit - Manu Raju - POLITICO.com

To which the headline reads as follows:

Dems seek cover to boost debt limit

Quote:
Democrats are quick to point out that President George W. Bush left President Barack Obama with a $10.6 trillion debt — and that the debt limit was increased seven times in the Republican’s eight years in the White House. But now Democrats are in charge of Congress and the White House; and the Treasury Department reported last week that the annual deficit for the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30 stood at a record $1.4 trillion, with that number likely to balloon under Obama’s policies
My apologies for forgetting the link and assuming folks know how to check and verify statements.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:42 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Well Tn, my opinion of the military is that they should be used for defense not offense.
Conquering other nations is not what our military stands for.
But I'm afraid the military/industrial complex is pretty powerful as we venture further in more countries.

We are on borrowed time with borrowed money and we continue to borrow more.
I don't know how much longer it can go on..I'm surprised we've made it this far from 2007.
" All wars are follies, very expensive and very mischeivious ones." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-22-2010, 07:22 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Before you trash the link to "Fox" try reading it..there are quotes from the Dems in DC.
Seems if they don't do this we may default on obligations. This is not good..there is not enough revenue to pay our bills and without this raise we cannot borrow to pay our bills as we have "maxed out" our credit card with the Fed/Treasury.

The bill collector is knocking on our door and we have empty pockets.
I know that this request is just to cover the expenditures from last years reckless deficit spending. We need to take 0bama up on his pledge to go thru the budget, line by line, and reduce government spending, get rid of useless government programs, and for heaven's sake, stop the out of control spending of taxpayer money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies