Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:08 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Let me ask you when you are in debt barely paying for your house do you keep spending or stop spending and pay down your debt?.
The question you need to ask is what you do with the unpaid bills on the desk. Do you pay them, or do you file bankcrupsy. Those are the only options the government has.

There is no such option as to say "oh, please I promise I won't spend more if you just take those bills away". The bills are not going anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 10:09 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
The US only has around 60% of debt as a percent of GDP. Greece - the country expected to default sometime in the next couple years - has 90% of debt as GDP. Many European countries typically run much higher debt than the US, yet are still solvent. Japan has reached 160% of debt as GDP(!).

There are a economists out there who believe debt is key to economic growth, since it keeps money flowing through the financial sector and allows for the creation of more wealth through interest.
Do you have a link for that? I'd like to read it.

How is Japan at 160% debt ratio if they are one of our biggest creditors?

Old 01-22-2010, 10:10 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
A $787 billion dollar slush fund for democrats called a Recovery Act, and a blank check to F&F, after them stating they each need $400 billion in bailouts, this is not "paying the bills".
OK, now you played your record one more time, and the bills are still on the desk unpaid.

Again, you can't pay the bills with your tears.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:12 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The question you need to ask is what you do with the unpaid bills on the desk. Do you pay them, or do you file bankcrupsy. Those are the only options the government has.

There is no such option as to say "oh, please I promise I won't spend more if you just take those bills away". The bills are not going anywhere.
You are missing the obvious. We all know that we can't default on our loans, thus we need to borrow money to pay our bills. But at what point do we say, "Gee, maybe we shouldn't spend so much, so our bills won't be so high next month"? You would think that once you get to the point where you have to borrow money to pay your bills, you would realize you need to reign in spending.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:12 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
The right gets no free pass from me on this. Bush is as guilty as anyone when it comes to running up our tab.

If Obama wants to be a real leader and really change our nation for the better he needs to step up and say "ENOUGH" and stop the out of control spending.
Spending is one area where both political parties are most similar. While they disagree with where money is spent, neither has the courage or the will to do anything about it.

The right will appeal to peoples fears and spend money on the military and security apparatus required to enforce a broad empire and give the illusion of money spent equals safety. The left will appeal to those needs domestically that the right dismiss as needing addressed. Then out of fear as being seen as whimpish, will also attempt to capitulate to the desires of the right.

Ultimately we end up with two basic philosophies. One is tax and spend and the other is borrow and spend, and again, the one common denominator is "Spend".

Old 01-22-2010, 10:14 AM

119 posts, read 263,468 times
Quote:
OK, now you played your record one more time, and the bills are still on the desk unpaid.

Again, you can't pay the bills with your tears.

You just don't get it! We KNOW we have to pay the bills.
The point is. If we hadn't wasted 800b on porkulous we would be in a better position to pay those bills.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:15 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Quote:

I havent said you dont pay the bill you owe

I am saying today right now you dont create a new one and you actually cut some spending.

You dont think we can cut out say pelosi not being able to use taxpayer money to buy flowers?

Or paying for how many was it to went to that climate meeting? We didnt have to pay for all of them to go and all of their hotels. If we need to bre represented someplace 1 person can go,Stay at the motel 6 and eat noodles if they want more it comes out of their own pocket.

Democrats say there is all this waste in Medicare well why dont they do something about that now without a healthcare bill. Just do something about the waste

No more entitlement programs. No more pay increases for gov employees. No more pay increases for elected officials

A republican has put forth a bill that they should all get pay cuts each year the budget isnt balanced. I am fully behind that. Make them have a reason to balance the budget

Old 01-22-2010, 10:16 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,952,749 times
Quote:

File bankrupsy.

"The bills are not going anywhere."

Old 01-22-2010, 10:17 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,952,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I havent said you dont pay the bill you owe

I am saying today right now you dont create a new one and you actually cut some spending.

You dont think we can cut out say pelosi not being able to use taxpayer money to buy flowers?

Or paying for how many was it to went to that climate meeting? We didnt have to pay for all of them to go and all of their hotels. If we need to bre represented someplace 1 person can go,Stay at the motel 6 and eat noodles if they want more it comes out of their own pocket.

Democrats say there is all this waste in Medicare well why dont they do something about that now without a healthcare bill. Just do something about the waste

No more entitlement programs. No more pay increases for gov employees. No more pay increases for elected officials

A republican has put forth a bill that they should all get pay cuts each year the budget isnt balanced. I am fully behind that. Make them have a reason to balance the budget
NO more CAREER politicians!

Old 01-22-2010, 10:17 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Do you have a link for that? I'd like to read it.

How is Japan at 160% debt ratio if they are one of our biggest creditors?
WebCite query result

Get this.. These numbers were BEFORE the financial crisis, bailouts, stimulus, etc.

Wikipedia used the CIA numbers, I think they are based on the '07 figures though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...by_public_debt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies