Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 05:32 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,038,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
How about we go with it was a great ruling, Alito was right when he called out Bammer, and we protect America from the wacked out libs who would do massive harm to this country if allowed a chance to mess with the constitution?

I like that approach much better
Yep, I figured you'd say something like that.

After all now the Saudi compatriots of your beloved Beck and his Faux News can now further meddle into America's political system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
jojajn, great info. I've been posting this for some time on here.

Glad to know some folks have dug deeper into this link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I really love to see you progs using cases from other countries as examples of what our SC has done wrong. You threw in a case from the House of Lords I guess from the UK dated 1914. More of that progressive attempt at using that good old govern according to foreign countries. That is what many of the more liberal judges on the Court in the recent past tried to do, and often got by with.

May I suggest that in reading your Wikipedia article I found a deeply embedded thing that negates much you have been saying here. Read it.

Corporate personhood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe you need a better source than Wikipedia, huh?
I used that example from the UK to demonstrate that a corporation is nothing more than a tool, a legal fiction that individuals use to make money off of.

Should a carpenter's screwdriver and pliers have rights?

Do we give farm animals the same rights as people?

At best a corporation is no different from a copyrighted character like Bugs Bunny and Woody Woodpecker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Has kovert been away for some time? It seems that lately he has been reviving a lot of his long dead threads. Funny.
But yet, they're lively and captivating enough to be getting your attention royboy.

Don't tell me you're enjoying my lessons over Beck's now, you big tease!!

Last edited by kovert; 07-24-2010 at 05:47 PM..

Old 07-29-2010, 04:19 PM

Wake up Americans, the BP fiasco is just the tip of the iceberg UNLESS we clean up the mess the corporate activist judges left us.

"In the wake of the recent Supreme Court ruling allowing unlimited spending on elections by unions and companies, coal giants are looking to form a group to pump cash into state races. Among the potential members is Massey Energy, the coal company notorious for the worst mining disaster in recent history when 29 miners were killed in April at its Upper Big Branch mine in West Virginia."

Old 08-02-2010, 02:46 PM

The corporate activist judges are cool with giving multi-national/foreign companies rights, but not so much for natural person U.S. citizens.

"And finally, the court's conservatives used their 5-4 advantage to rule that suspects must break their silence and tell police they are going to remain quiet if they want to invoke their "right to remain silent" and stop an interrogation, just as they must tell police that they want a lawyer.

But Justice Sonia Sotomayor said the majority's decision "turns Miranda upside down."

"Criminal suspects must now unambiguously invoke their right to remain silent – which counter intuitively requires them to speak," she said. "At the same time, suspects will be legally presumed to have waived their rights even if they have given no clear expression of their intent to do so."

Old 08-02-2010, 02:52 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,369,530 times
Quote:
Yep, I figured you'd say something like that.

Wow, I am honored! you were thinking of ME when you posted the thread!

Awesome! I feel better already.

Then I start thinking about the futility of liberalism and how America always rises up when you guys try to pull us too far your direction. And I feel even better….

Old 08-02-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Wow, I am honored! you were thinking of ME when you posted the thread!

Awesome! I feel better already.

Then I start thinking about the futility of liberalism and how America always rises up when you guys try to pull us too far your direction. And I feel even better….
Ferd, hate to burst your bubble, but you were even more inconsequential to my life when I started this thread than you are now.

Still now I'm starting to see what makes you tick.

Vulnerable people that are desperate for attention and validation are the perfect sucke,...., er,....., recruits for fringe cul,...., er,...., social clubs, run by the likes of Beck and a certain Mr. Jones.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:27 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,369,530 times
Quote:
Ferd, hate to burst your bubble, but you were even more inconsequential to my life when I started this thread than you are now.

Still now I'm starting to see what makes you tick.

Vulnerable people that are desperate for attention and validation are the perfect sucke,...., er,....., recruits for fringe cul,...., er,...., social clubs, run by the likes of Beck and a certain Mr. Jones.

LOL! hey, you are the one wh said you knew what I would say!

no need to backtrack. its ok, I have that effect on people...

by the way, the line to your left is for the coolaid... its really good... you should try some.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:35 PM

I'm sure ferd is feeling tingly over this travesty of justice.

"The Supreme Court is getting involved in an unusual freedom of information dispute over whether corporations may assert personal privacy interests to prevent the government from releasing documents about them.

The exception may be used only by individuals, the administration said in a brief signed by Elena Kagan, the newest justice who served in the Justice Department until last month.

A federal appeals court sided with AT&T."

Corporate feudalism here we come.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:08 PM

American democracy (what's left of it) is treading some very dangerous waters.

"At the heart of the matter is whether or not a personal privacy exemption contained in a freedom of information law extends the same rights to corporations as it does to people.

Unless the Supreme Court reverses a Third Circuit ruling, "records about safety violations at a coal mine, environmental problems at an offshore oil rig and financial shenanigans at an investment bank" could be kept secret under a provision of the Freedom of Information Act, six public interest groups told the high court in an Amicus brief.

In its Citizen United opinion last year, the Supreme Court struck down campaign-finance limits, which essentially granted American corporations First Amendment free-speech rights. As the Wall Street Journal points out, should the Supreme Court decide in favor of AT&T, it would be "another step toward imbuing corporations with all the rights guaranteed U.S. citizens."

Old 09-29-2010, 08:08 PM

So you deserve the same treatment as an individual natural person who is a US citizen when its suits you but just a benevolent non-individual when it doesn't.

The executive and legislative branches ain't the only one that need their heads examined.

"A federal appeals court has ruled US corporations can no longer be sued for human rights violations abroad under the longstanding Alien Tort Statute. Earlier this month, the Second US Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that Alien tort claims can only be brought against individuals, not corporations."

Old 09-30-2010, 08:54 AM

Even a lobbyist admits, its absolutely ridiculous to allow legal fictions the same rights as natural persons who are US citizens.

This decision must be overturned, FAST.

"Williams cited the Supreme Court ruling at the beginning of this year in the case Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission (pdf), in which corporations received protection for their First Amendment right to spend money on political causes. Essentially, Williams said, the decision gives corporations the same rights he, a registered lobbyist, has -- except the corporations don't have to register as lobbyists. "If the court is saying that a corporation is a person, then why shouldn't they have to play by the same exact rules that I have to play by?" he said."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.