Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:06 AM

898 posts, read 1,402,389 times

Advertisements

We need a natural born citizen clause for all state and federal social benefits. Not one individual should be able to move to this country and live on the public dole. If we are going to pay taxes for a safety net, it should be only for people who were born here, not for foreigners.

That, along with a rule that birth on our soil only confers U.S. citizenship if the parents are citizens.

If we were to establish that rule, I think it would stop a lot of illegal immigration if we took away the freebies. I do not feel that legal immigrants should be entitled to food stamps or welfare either. If they cannot make it here without government assistance, then they should go back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 08:19 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
And what about if they came here with their parents, at say 1 years old? Should they be excluded from government programs for the rest of their lives?

What about the abnormally large amount of immigrants children that join the military when they turn 18? Should they be excluded from federal programs?

No, they shouldn't, and no one should.

I think you'd find that the amount of money we spend on government funds for non naturalized citizens who are here legally, is quite small.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:33 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
We need a natural born citizen clause for all state and federal social benefits. Not one individual should be able to move to this country and live on the public dole. If we are going to pay taxes for a safety net, it should be only for people who were born here, not for foreigners.

That, along with a rule that birth on our soil only confers U.S. citizenship if the parents are citizens.

If we were to establish that rule, I think it would stop a lot of illegal immigration if we took away the freebies. I do not feel that legal immigrants should be entitled to food stamps or welfare either. If they cannot make it here without government assistance, then they should go back home.
I would only apply this rule to recent immigrants and all illegal immigrants. A person that has lived, worked, and paid taxes in the US for 20+ years should at least be entitled to the same benefits that a natural born American is given. Especially if the natural born American has lived on the dole for much of their working life.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:47 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,723 times
Quote:

So an immigrant that comes here in their twenties works their whole life, pays taxes, and retires in their sixties or seventies should not be eligible for social security or medicare? But a natural born citizen who doesn't hang on to a job and just floats through life gets to collect?

It is the immigrants that built and continue to build this country. Most foreign-born people I have known are more ambitious, have more work ethic, place greater emphasis on education and career, and take more pride in their home and family than many native-born I have known. This is a broad generalization but it is my perception.

I can agree with your second point only I would say that only one of the parents needs to be a U.S. citizen. Additionally I would get rid of the law that someone applying for U.S. citizenship has to renounce their former country's citizenship. We are one of the few countries that require this and it is xenophobic and antiquated (a throwback to our fear of British citizens coming here and subverting our new nation, I imagine).

Regarding your last paragraph, why should a legal immigrant not be entitled to food stamps or welfare? Did you mean to say illegal? If they are here legally than they are eligible to work therefore paying taxes and hence eligible for benefits.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:59 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
I do not feel that legal immigrants should be entitled to food stamps or welfare either. If they cannot make it here without government assistance, then they should go back home.
That's nice. Of course, you'll then also be in favor of legal immigrants being exempt from the taxes going to welfare and food stamps, right?

Old 01-22-2010, 09:00 AM

898 posts, read 1,402,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
So an immigrant that comes here in their twenties works their whole life, pays taxes, and retires in their sixties or seventies should not be eligible for social security or medicare? But a natural born citizen who doesn't hang on to a job and just floats through life gets to collect?

It is the immigrants that built and continue to build this country. Most foreign-born people I have known are more ambitious, have more work ethic, place greater emphasis on education and career, and take more pride in their home and family than many native-born I have known. This is a broad generalization but it is my perception.

I can agree with your second point only I would say that only one of the parents needs to be a U.S. citizen. Additionally I would get rid of the law that someone applying for U.S. citizenship has to renounce their former country's citizenship. We are one of the few countries that require this and it is xenophobic and antiquated (a throwback to our fear of British citizens coming here and subverting our new nation, I imagine).

Regarding your last paragraph, why should a legal immigrant not be entitled to food stamps or welfare? Did you mean to say illegal? If they are here legally than they are eligible to work therefore paying taxes and hence eligible for benefits.
Why should anyone be able immigrate here, legally or not, and mooch off of our tax dollars?

Old 01-22-2010, 09:03 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,723 times
Quote:
Why should anyone be able immigrate here, legally or not, and mooch off of our tax dollars?
It is their tax dollars as well!

Old 01-22-2010, 09:03 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Why should there be classes of citizenship? Even restricting the presidency to 'natural born citizens' is an 18th century relic, in my opinion.

What about COTUS and 'equal protection of laws'?

Old 01-22-2010, 09:05 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
I agree we need to put a stop to anything that puts out the welcome wagon. If parents brought their children here, too bad, they can be mad at their parents for breaking our laws.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:08 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Because they are paying tax dollars at the same rate as everyone else does, their entire life to our country, just like you are.

If a 20 year old migrates here, then they pay the same taxes that a 20 year old natural citizen does.

So by the time they are 70, and are eligible for SSI, they both have paid in to the system.

Both should be eligible to get the benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies