Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 07:21 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Like I said, I agreed it is your choice to take your own life. The choice does have reprecussions the full extent to which no mortal can truly testify with complete certainty.

I have held the hand and listen to the last heart beat of family members who died of terminal diseases who also faced "zero quality of life". I respect the difficulty you face. That you assume other posters may not face or take into account similar circumstances when posting is shortsighted, but understandable as your response is based on emotion and your very personal situation.

There was a time when I could have been convinced that medical euthanasia was an act of mercy. I don't believe that any longer. I believe that life is a gift given to us. Dying, while sometimes very slow and painful is part of that experience and enduring that experience is part of our responsibility to that gift. The way Pope John Paul II faced his own mortality convinced me of this. Again, I am not a religious zealot nor am I particularly religious.

I don't pretend to have all the answeres. It is because I know that I do not is why I believe life is to be valued. There is so much we do not know about life that we should not dismiss it by choosing death as the alternative.

Suicide is making the choice to end one's own life. Abortion is the choice of ending the life of another. Both are tje intentional ending of human life.
Ooops don't write me off so soon! I was speaking of my own fathers death. Consciously weighing his decision, I saw his right clearly. Being terminal is a whole other perspective, and straining my 20 something self into his shoes to see his point and respect his wishes was a bitter pill to swallow. I'm grateful he took the time to explain his reasoning face to face, and make it clear that no one should feel guilty or whatever other psychological knots the grieving contort themselves into. We had the opportunity to say goodbye in straightforward way by going outside the USA to avoid the law. Our entire family could have been prosecuted for aiding and abetting his premeditation.

I applaud John Pauls commitment to live out the truth of his God as he interpreted it to be. The church was twisting itself in knots when his competence as leader was absent, but they refrained from naming a new leader until his natural death as per tradition. To my knowledge that debate remains live in the vatican, but not as pressing as it was in those moments. Had John Paul elected for all bells and whistles life support systems, he could have remained 'alive' far beyond his natural life, leaving the church with Terry Shivo leadership for a decade or whenever God decided a power outage was necessary to override humans. Just because we can do a thing doesn't mean we should applies to abortion and end stage diseases.

Yes, we have deviated from thread a bit, but they're intimately tied to that root moral question of defining when the ending of 'life' is justifiable. Until that moral question is answered clearly enough for all to see and embrace as truth, it will remain a choice on the ballot. Attempting to eliminate abortion as any choice at all will mean the methods females resort will become exotic. There are how many contraindications in pregnancy? I could take any one of those substances and 'spontaneously miscarriage'. Or I could bury/ hide a fetus to avoid detection of the law because no one knows they exist as unborn. In literal sense, they cannot count by way of registry. No government could deliver a census result of what is yet to be. We can only count abortions because they're currently reported. Abolish the choice of abortion is an exercise of feel good mathematics.

I think it preferable we face this directly as adults. I think it best right to life spend more energy helping women into motherhood, and less time berating using the arm of the law as catspaw to impose a version of morality not all share. I encourage those in practicing religions to assure your congregation viable alternatives to abortion. Legislating religious beliefs and practices is an unhealthy path for religious to continue traversing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 07:24 PM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
I just read the latest results of a survey. The percent of Americans who think abortion is morally wrong is increasing.

62% Greatest Generation think abortion is morally wrong (65+)
61% Gen X think abortion is morally wrong (30 - 44)
58% Millennials think abortion is morally wrong (18 - 29)
51% Baby Boomers think abortion is morally wrong (45 - 64)

CNSNews.com - 56 Percent of Americans Say Abortion is ‘Morally Wrong,’ Marist/K of C Poll Finds (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/60293 - broken link)

I, like the article, also credit advances in technology and people being able to see via ultrasound exactly what they choose to murder (at Unplanned Parenthood).

Old 01-23-2010, 07:30 PM

110 posts, read 261,663 times
I understand why some believe that abortion is immoral. Still, this doesn't justify forcing a woman to endure pregnancy against her will.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:34 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie85 View Post
I understand why some believe that abortion is immoral. Still, this doesn't justify forcing a woman to endure pregnancy against her will.
Or to be surrogate mother for someone else.....for free.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie85 View Post
You post as though the pregnancy was forced upon the woman, when in most cases (rape/incest excepted) pregnancy is a direct result of the choice to participate in sexual activity. In the United states, in this day and age, most girls/women of reproductive age understand that risks come with sexual activity; among those risks are included pregnancy and disease. Contraception control is readily available regardless of age or income level to both men and women, teens, etc... .

Are you suggesting that two wrong choices make a right?

Pregnacy is not a disease, it is a perfectly normal medical condition following conception. Therefore, abortion is not a "cure" for anything.

Not all who are pro-life choose this view as a result of being religious either. To attempt to marginalize those who would protect innocent life still in the womb from abortion on demand as trying to legislate "religion" would not be accurate.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 01-23-2010 at 07:56 PM..

Old 01-23-2010, 07:51 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
National Abortion Federation: Safety of Abortion

Safe to say that legal abortions are relatively safe.
Well, except for the unfortunate baby that happens to be getting aborted.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:51 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Sure beats the repurcussions of back-street abortions. I have seen the consequences of those, and they are horrific. And yes, worse than legal abortion performed early in a pregnancy in a safe, controlled environment.

Do you really believe that making abortions illegal will stop them from happening?
It will greatly reduce the incidences of abortion. Not everyone is going to have a back-alley abortion if abortion becomes illegal. What were the percentage of woman that actually went through a back-alley abortion? Why are we legalizing something as horrific as abortion just to protect the foolish women from harming themselves through an illegal back alley abortion? Until abortion became legalized, the most common way of dealing with the unplanned pregnancies is via adoption.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:53 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
Quote:
Hear! Hear! Couldn't have said it better myself!
Exactly. Who gives a **** about abortion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjared View Post
Don't you get it?? Its not the woman's body, there's a baby in there that they are denying life to. What if your mother had aborted you??

So what if she aborted me? Or if she had aborted you? There would be someone else as 'theliberalvoice' and 'gtjared'.

No big whoop.

Quote:
If this is what you believe, then don't have an abortion. But, don't expect everyone to believe as you do.
Exactly. Very simple concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Yeah those rape or incest victims sure are irresponsible aren't they?
They asked for it. Didn't you hear?

Old 01-23-2010, 07:57 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So it's always the woman's responsibility? The guy can just screw whoever he wants, whenever he wants, and it's all the woman's fault if she gets pregnant? Women are stupid?

The last time there was an immaculate conception, the angels came down to tell us about it.
I believe that men should be fully responsible for providing for their spawn. The reasons why a majority of the pro-choicers are male is because abortion gets them off the hook. If their lady decides to keep the baby, then they would have to deal with child support.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:59 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I don't get it, how can it be horrible to want to protect the life of little defenseless babies?

The only positive thing in any of this, may be that our society is all the better by limiting the genetic offspring of the type of people that would choose to end the life their own baby after the second trimester of life for the sake of convenience. This world does not need more people like Stalin or Mao who view human life as.... I'm at a loss as to what these people view human life as, but they sure did not lose any sleep over murdering millions.
Did you lose sleep over all those brown poor Iraqi babies that we blew up? If not, you are a hypocrite for being upset that I don't give a care about how many pregnancies are teminated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies