Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 02:20 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Here we have a fairly new law that if a woman presents herself for an abortion, she must wait at least 24 hours before the procedure is performed.

The woman must also be counseled as to their alternatives to having an abortion.

And minors must have parents or guardians permission.

There are legal challenges pending on these modest laws.
I feel those laws are sensible, however, in the case of minors it does come down to the recognition that an infant is a lifelong commitment by SOME party (the minor must be committed to an outcome that far exceeds 'minor' status, and minors are not to be considered chattel).

Where I feel pro lifers make serious mistakes, repeated in this thread, is the approach of attacking an opponent (defendant 'women'). Real time on the ground reality is that women who have the confidence to go forward with a pregnancy will choose to do just that if the opportunity presents itself clearly. It is the FAILURE of pro life movement to fully acknowledge the circumstances these women find themselves in that makes having a choice necessary at all.

I'm grateful I was taught to guard my reproductive responsibility. I've never had to resort to an abortion. My religious instruction from my elders departed from the party line of the Holy See to enable my broader education. Would I have found myself in circumstances where it would be a choice, I assure you I would be psychologically tearing myself apart to make a decision. Satisfied?

Men in opposition to abortion, far beyond rock throwing of misogyny, could alternatively address every circumstance that these women feel compelled to make a choice that none of them ever really wanted to make. I believe that when they do, their roles as men would become clearer in the world we're sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 02:21 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
A "fetus" is a term used to dehumanize the unborn. It is a life whether you want to admit it or not.
Sure it is a life. Any clump of cells is a life. But it is no more "human" than a germ or a flower. It is just a clump of cells that, if allowed to continue the process of division, will eventually become a human. Actually an animal is more of a "life" than an unborn human fetus is.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:24 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I feel those laws are sensible, however, in the case of minors it does come down to the recognition that an infant is a lifelong commitment by SOME party (the minor must be committed to an outcome that far exceeds 'minor' status, and minors are not to be considered chattel).

Where I feel pro lifers make serious mistakes, repeated in this thread, is the approach of attacking an opponent (defendant 'women'). Real time on the ground reality is that women who have the confidence to go forward with a pregnancy will choose to do just that if the opportunity presents itself clearly. It is the FAILURE of pro life movement to fully acknowledge the circumstances these women find themselves in that makes having a choice necessary at all.

I'm grateful I was taught to guard my reproductive responsibility. I've never had to resort to an abortion. My religious instruction from my elders departed from the party line of the Holy See to enable my broader education. Would I have found myself in circumstances where it would be a choice, I assure you I would be psychologically tearing myself apart to make a decision. Satisfied?

Men in opposition to abortion, far beyond rock throwing of misogyny, could alternatively address every circumstance that these women feel compelled to make a choice that none of them ever really wanted to make. I believe that when they do, their roles as men would become clearer in the world we're sharing.
These laws should be challenged. They interfere with the right of a woman to get an abortion. When a woman wants an abortion she should be allowed to make her appointment and walk in, pay and get it on the spot. Doctors are not there to preach to her or present "alternatives". Women are not stupid. They know and have thought about the "alternatives" well before going to the clinic to have the procedure performed.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:24 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, the number of both abortions and teen pregnancies are going down.
I linked that information in another thread, or maybe it was this thread. No, it was the rabid anti PP thread that cost me a donation.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjared View Post
Don't you get it?? Its not the woman's body, there's a baby in there that they are denying life to. What if your mother had aborted you??
What would I know, I wouldn't exist.
When you get pregnant, you make that decision for yourself.
Keep the heck out of my life and your false morality off of my body.

It's always the woman's body.
Just because there's a parasite living in it, it doesn't mean that her body is not her own.
Or are you for forced pregnancy and slavery?
Because that's what you're asking for.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Actually, we value the lives of animals more than humans but think NOTHING about the brutality of an abortion procedure on a helpless pre-born baby.

Should L.A. firefighters have risked their lives to save a dog? Tell us what you think [Updated] | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times
Emotional, not medical, terminology.
It's a fetus.
Don't want an abortion, don't have one. No one is forcing you.

Quote:
Who's fighting for the little life inside of the woman who opts for an abortion? Does that little life even count? I realize that many pro-choicers are personally against abortion such as you but since when did our country ever get to the point where it is legal to brutally exterminate a a little, helpless life? When did Americans become so calloused where women's rights revolved around this barbaric practice? We are appalled when we hear about senseless murders of children on TV but barely bat an eyelash or shed a tear over the deliberate killing of the unborn.
Since you've participated in numerous anti-choice threads, you know full well that a fetus does not have legal standing because it is not born; it is not considered a person. Like it or not, that's the law. It's not considered a life until it can breathe on its own, i.e. is viable, around 26 weeks. But you know all of this.
Aren't you against all sorts of support once the fetus is actually born.

Quote:
I'd allow exceptions for those cases as the women involved did not consent to the sexual activity.
Interesting. It's only murder when you don't agree with it. What's the difference, the body doesn't know where the sperm comes from.
You'd allow. Again, it's not your place to make any decisions for anyone else. Ever.

Quote:
So I guess I should just mind my own business when a child is being abused by his/her parents then. No need for any of us to get involved in fighting for child rights. It's all about the woman and what makes her comfortable.
You can't tell the difference between a fetus and a living child? I'm shocked, I tell you. Or did it not fit in with your argument.

Quote:
A "fetus" is a term used to dehumanize the unborn. It is a life whether you want to admit it or not.
Fetus is the medical term. You use "unborn" is an emotional response to humanize a non-viable entity.

Last edited by chielgirl; 01-23-2010 at 02:40 PM..

Old 01-23-2010, 02:35 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Who cares?

The "prolife" movement is a joke. As I said before. I don't know who the bigger joke is. The so called "Pro life" movement that "loves life and babies (unless they are gay or liberal fetuses) or the pro illegal immigrant movement.

They both are pretty horrible.

And yes, I do believe these women have issues. They may not hate women but they certainly do not respect other womens bodies.

Even if I was personally against abortion, I would NEVER tell another person what to do. But then again what did you expect? Everyone wants government out until it tells gays they cannot marry or tells women what to do.

Go figure.

As stated the question is who is the bigger joke. Pro illegals or "pro life".
I don't get it, how can it be horrible to want to protect the life of little defenseless babies?

The only positive thing in any of this, may be that our society is all the better by limiting the genetic offspring of the type of people that would choose to end the life their own baby after the second trimester of life for the sake of convenience. This world does not need more people like Stalin or Mao who view human life as.... I'm at a loss as to what these people view human life as, but they sure did not lose any sleep over murdering millions.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:35 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
The term fetus is used to describe a developing human from two months after conception to birth. From conception to two months it is referred to as an embryo. That's the definition of the term. The word baby means a young child, so would not be the correct term to use.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:36 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
A fetus is not a child. An egg is not a chicken.
That you choose to actually equate a human life developing in the womb with a chicken egg that has not been fertilized is truly sick.

By the gestational age of 7-8 weeks the human life (fetal age 5-6 weeks) has a heart beat and in utero have been observed to be moving within the womb and capable of having sensory reactions to light as well as to the probe used to abort/end its life (moving away from it). By gestational age of 8-9 weeks (fetal age 6-7 weeks) the developing young life in the womb possesses everything that will be present in the adult human being (negating your clump of cells argument).

So, does your "pro-choice" argument really come down to: it is cheaper to destroy a human life than to sustain it?

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 01-23-2010 at 02:49 PM..

Old 01-23-2010, 02:38 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I don't get it, how can it be horrible to want to protect the life of little defenseless babies?

The only positive thing in any of this, may be that our society is all the better by limiting the genetic offspring of the type of people that would choose to end the life their own baby after the second trimester of life for the sake of convenience.
Histrionic much? You cannot under the law end the life of a fetus after the second trimester unless for medical reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies