Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 01:14 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
We just got home from a family dinner out and flipped on the tv and see Reese Witherspoon answering the phones.

Holy hell...if this country would band together on our own issues this much, we, as a nation, would be unstoppable!!!

Apparently you missed the 911 charity work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 01:17 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I have no problem with celebrities doing celebrity type stuff for charity as long as I know they aren't being compensated in any way...that means money, travel, hotel, food, gifts, goodies, special treatment to perform. Since I learned they usually do get something for "charity" work, I don't give to any charity or political fundraiser when a celebrity is involved, anymore. I prefer to donate to a standard charitable organization I have previous experience with in times of crisis and did about a week ago.

You also may recall the big brouhaha over the money raised by celebrities on 9/11 not getting to people. Clooney was involved with that one, too, but I'll bet because of that, he does follow up now to see that the money collected actually gets out more timely.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:19 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I have no problem with celebrities doing celebrity type stuff for charity as long as I know they aren't being compensated in any way...that means money, travel, hotel, food, gifts, goodies, special treatment to perform. Since I learned they usually do get something for "charity" work, I don't give to any charity or political fundraiser when a celebrity is involved, anymore. I prefer to donate to a standard charitable organization I have previous experience with in times of crisis and did about a week ago.

You also may recall the big brouhaha over the money raised by celebrities on 9/11 not getting to people. Clooney was involved with that one, too, but I'll bet because of that, he does follow up now to see that the money collected actually gets out more timely.

yeah Clooney was saying how the charities that were in this program were all charities who are already on the ground doing work in Haiti, but i hear ya

Old 01-23-2010, 01:22 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'd rather give money to the homeless dogs of Los Angeles. The local animal shelter is seeking emergency donations because they're running out of food.

Food for shelter dogs and cats running out; SPCALA seeks emergency donations | L.A. at Home | Los Angeles Times
Is someone stopping you from doing so?
Spay and neuter your animals.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:23 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
In a way, I did donate. I did it by paying my taxes which are covering the cost of our nation's military operating in Haiti,...the same military the city council of Berkeley and some people here have accused of being nothing more than trained killers, muderers, baby killers, or mercenaries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
there are no excuses ...when you do have some extra money (money to rent a movie, money to go out on a date..ect..) you definatly should send money when there is a disaster like this one....and if you really have a good heart you should maybe cut back on your own food to be able to send more money...it's for people who have seen worse than any of us in America...even the poor people like me ....I am one of the people you are speaking of that is struggling in this economy in the U.S. but i took the little i had left over from my unemployment check to give to these people who had nothing and their family members were crushed this weeks and burned in mass graves over there..at least here when my family member dies there will be record of it...and i at least have a roof over my head even without having a job or any kind of bank account and im 31 years old...i am blessed to be where im at compared to those people over there because i went through Hurricane Andrew and that was a disaster too but nothing like what Haiti is seeing....we didnt see the kind of devistation and hacking off of limbs to save peoples's lives without anestithsia...we all should feel grateful even in bad times in America because alot of places are far worse

Old 01-23-2010, 01:36 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
the part about cutting back on food...i knew that the 10 dollars i had left after i payed my bills would go to food or toothpaste or something for me this past week but i donated it instead because i can go without for this week...my point isnt to people like you who give ....its is more to say that if you are criticizing this event tonite and dont think we should give because we have too many problems here then i am telling my story because i am one of the lower class of people in America and if i can donate what i can then they should be able to also without all the questioning of it...really its a matter of money and not heart for those kind of people
Dude, you're breaking my heart! I'm close to sending money to YOU!

I admit it - I can only keep up this cold-hearted conservative act for so long. Ugh... I'm a wuss.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:38 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I get what the OP is getting at. The show biz types, who most of the time sit on their boney asses getting overpaid to "work" and do the occasional public service announcements to save the whales, or whatever, band together at times like this to pontificate about this cause as if the little people would not have even thought about helping without prompting from them.
They could all just write big fat checks and leave us alone. Let's see how many of them actually go to Haiti and help rebuild. Brad Pitt has done this in New Orleans, but he's an exception.
You follow the lives of celebrities that closely? You see their tax returns and who they donate to?
Don't want to watch, no one is forcing you, turn the channel.
Sheesh, you're not 4 years old - are you?

Old 01-23-2010, 01:43 AM

At least they had the good sense to not invite Kanye West. He'd probably blame the earthquake on GW Bush or find a way to make it about him.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:44 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
In a way, I did donate. I did it by paying my taxes which are covering the cost of our nation's military operating in Haiti,...the same military the city council of Berkeley and some people here have accused of being nothing more than trained killers, murderers, baby killers, or mercenaries.
You should truly feel good about yourself on the inside then i guess...i don't know and no one else knows about how you truly feel on the inside, but no matter how a person defends an arguement on here to win ..it is you who knows the truth about whether you did your part in a situation truly...if u seem to think that your taxes is enough for dying people over there then that's all on you man..i personally would feel like crap thinking that my taxes were good enough when people are in need over in Haiti right now...hell i didn't have to make any "effort to extend my self if i say taxes are being used to help out....taxes automatically come out no matter what so for me that just isnt cutting it...but for u maybe that's all u feel needs to be done i guess

Old 01-23-2010, 01:53 AM

To be honest, I can't afford to give money to Haiti. Though I work with boilers, generators, and HVAC system for a hospital, my gross pay is a hair over $30,000 while caring for my disabled wife and her 84 year old father who lives with us. When we can, we donate food to the local food pantry. Clothes that no longer fit us or we have to get rid of to make room are donated to the local homeless shelters. While in the Navy, I volunteered in some foreign ports to help out at local children's hospitals and orphanages. I hope you never see the things I saw at those places. My wife's nephew is on the USS Carl Vinson. He's a nuclear macinist mate second class. He was among those who volunteered to go ashore to help out. I hope I never have to see what he saw.
Quote:
You should truly feel good about yourself on the inside then i guess...i don't know and no one else knows about how you truly feel on the inside, but no matter how a person defends an arguement on here to win ..it is you who knows the truth about whether you did your part in a situation truly...if u seem to think that your taxes is enough for dying people over there then that's all on you man..i personally would feel like crap thinking that my taxes were good enough when people are in need over in Haiti right now...hell i didn't have to make any "effort to extend my self if i say taxes are being used to help out....taxes automatically come out no matter what so for me that just isnt cutting it...but for u maybe that's all u feel needs to be done i guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies