Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:12 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Do you always abandon your morality with ad hominem attacks in the defense of Obama?
Some will never get it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 12:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The two poorly managed wars wars at the level of Commander in Chief (not on the ground) are Iraq and Afghanistan. The first for getting forced upon us to begin with and then languishing for years before finally doing the surge and getting out, and the second for being completely forgotten as Bush stopped going after terrorists and instead went after oil and power. He took his eye off t he ball, lost all conviction. Thankfully, Obama's refocusing on finishing that war effectively.

And, considering Republicans had unmitigated control from 2000-2006 and basically filibustered the Democratic majority in 2006 for 2 years (creating a stalemate instead of any true liberal leadership), then, yes, the past 8 years was entirely the Republicans fault since they were the ones in control.

I don't understand your point about Reagan. I think Reagan was great and I was simply pointing out that he adopted a very similar situation as Obama, endured plummeting poll numbers and skyrocketing unemployment, yet somehow emerged the other side to get re-elected in 84 and go on to become one of our best presidents.

I'd just be careful counting Obama out after 1 year. Bush I was really popular his first year and disappeared by 92.
I don't think I am counting him out, I am not that niave. I have been around for a hell of a long time, longer than most of you, that is for sure. AS for Reagan, I don't have the figures but I am not sure the unemployment rate was as high as now. As for the war situation, I do not totally blame that on Bush. We don't get into these messes easily. As for Obama getting us out, let's hope you are right, but I will believe it when I see it..As for Bush in 92, people forget a man named Parot (spelling) fluled the election up like crazy...plus, my feeling and it is simply a feeling with nothing to judge it on: I am not sure how much Bush really cared about winning. The drive just didn't seem to be there.

Nita

Old 01-24-2010, 12:39 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
That's not true. We've had fewer job losses - by hundreds of thousands in many cases - every month since the beginning of 2009. November had a positive job growth (due in part to the stimulus). Everybody knows jobs are the last to recover from a collapse, but things seem to be stabilizing in such a way that they will, soon enough, turn the corner.

It took almost 3 years into Reagan's administration to see unemployment drop below 10%. Seeing as things began recovery in less than a year, I am hopeful we will see much quicker turn around this time.

I'm skeptical of the claim that they purposely lied about job creation. With so much scrutiny, why would they even try to get away with making up districts? Makes no sense - if anything, I say it was a clerical error.

They have, I know for a fact, saved a lot of local and state governments from utter collapse, so that alone should be applauded.
And you still seem to assume that less job loss equates to increased employment. Only in Obama land. It really means that less people have jobs to lose, but unemployment still continues.

BTW, the November "increase" in jobs? Have you ever heard of seasonal (christmas) jobs? You know, work for one or two months, then back on the unemployment lines. And government, local, state and federal are so bloated with unneeded jobs it is costing us more than we are able to recoup.

Clerical error? Like the majority of the Obama claims. If the Republicans had done this, you would be screaming at the top of your lungs about lies and deceit. Hypocrisy.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:43 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
So I guess you have no substantive response. Perhaps another one of your cute pictures would suffice.

My morality, with regard to politics, is rooted in stabilizing this national economy, fighting only wars that make sense, building a pro-life society that provides health care for all, and ensuring regulations are in place to prevent another collapse.

I think Obama's marching steadily in that righteous direction.

Really USA TODAY FIREANDREAMITCHELL.COM AND SO MANY OTHERS.

How's that Stimulas working for you.
More jobs have been lost under the Obama Administration within 1 yr more then any other President since WWII. America has lost over 4 million jobs in 2009, more jobs lost in 1 yr, higher then any other President.

USA TODAY, AND SO MANY OTHERS.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:53 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
And you still seem to assume that less job loss equates to increased employment. Only in Obama land. It really means that less people have jobs to lose, but unemployment still continues.

BTW, the November "increase" in jobs? Have you ever heard of seasonal (christmas) jobs? You know, work for one or two months, then back on the unemployment lines. And government, local, state and federal are so bloated with unneeded jobs it is costing us more than we are able to recoup.

Clerical error? Like the majority of the Obama claims. If the Republicans had done this, you would be screaming at the top of your lungs about lies and deceit. Hypocrisy.
No, I don't think less job loss equal job creation. What are you looking for, a miracle?

Seriously. This was a catastrophe. Unless you expect someone to just snap their fingers and make everything alright, then it takes time to fix catastrophes.

Having fewer jobs lost is a VERY good sign. The fact that companies are ramping up hiring is a very good sign. Are we there yet? No. No one ever said we were. But it's all moving in the right direction.

I don't get how you can't see that unless you're one of those people who pegged Obama as a failure his first day because he hadn't fixed 8 years of devastation.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Really USA TODAY FIREANDREAMITCHELL.COM AND SO MANY OTHERS.

How's that Stimulas working for you.
More jobs have been lost under the Obama Administration within 1 yr more then any other President since WWII. America has lost over 4 million jobs in 2009, more jobs lost in 1 yr, higher then any other President.

USA TODAY, AND SO MANY OTHERS.
Hmmm.... and those job losses began under which administration that refused to tighten regulations and oversight of increasingly unstable housing and bank markets?

Yeah. Your team created those job losses, kiddo. Obama's not a messiah. He's simply one man trying to fix a very, very large set of problems.

I know you bask in anticipation of his failure and that of our country, but all indicators are pointing in the opposite direction - just like happened with Reagan.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:02 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Hmmm.... and those job losses began under which administration that refused to tighten regulations and oversight of increasingly unstable housing and bank markets?

Yeah. Your team created those job losses, kiddo. Obama's not a messiah. He's simply one man trying to fix a very, very large set of problems.

I know you bask in anticipation of his failure and that of our country, but all indicators are pointing in the opposite direction - just like happened with Reagan.
Just where exactly were the Democrats from 2000-2008? Take your blinders off. Both parties have sold us out yet you would simply like the believe is was the Repubs that caused everything.

Typical Obama homer.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think I am counting him out, I am not that niave. I have been around for a hell of a long time, longer than most of you, that is for sure. AS for Reagan, I don't have the figures but I am not sure the unemployment rate was as high as now. As for the war situation, I do not totally blame that on Bush. We don't get into these messes easily. As for Obama getting us out, let's hope you are right, but I will believe it when I see it..As for Bush in 92, people forget a man named Parot (spelling) fluled the election up like crazy...plus, my feeling and it is simply a feeling with nothing to judge it on: I am not sure how much Bush really cared about winning. The drive just didn't seem to be there.

Nita

I got that sense with Bush I as well. Odd, since he seemed to regret it later. But, it's tough to win when the economy tanks on you. Bush I was a good president - highly under appreciated.

To answer your other question - under Reagan the unemployment rate went up to 10.8% over two years into his presidency. Interestingly, tax rates for the wealthiest Americans were 14% higher under Reagan than under Obama and will remain over 10% higher under Reagan than Obama when the Bush tax cuts expire.

If only reality were a simple sound bite of right and wrong.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Just where exactly were the Democrats from 2000-2008? Take your blinders off. Both parties have sold us out yet you would simply like the believe is was the Repubs that caused everything.

Typical Obama homer.
I have no idea what a "homer" is, but it sounds insulting in context and I would suggest removing it lest you be charged with violating TOS for a personal attack.

I have no illusions that either party is good or righteous. When someone asserts, however, that our current problems stem from Dems, one must point out that conservatives had absolutely unmitigated control of policy for 6 years and in many ways 8 years.

Both parties were there, but it's like saying the Republicans have been there the past year. They really haven't. Hopefully Republicans will continue to make gains to balance things out.

So, yes, from 2000-2008 Republicans did guide policy and our country into the gutter. It would appear that the Dems are doing so now in different ways, but at least fixing things like the economy, the war on terror, and health care while they're at it. If they can get spending under control, they should be able to hold a slim majority.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:07 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
I got that sense with Bush I as well. Odd, since he seemed to regret it later. But, it's tough to win when the economy tanks on you. Bush I was a good president - highly under appreciated.

To answer your other question - under Reagan the unemployment rate went up to 10.8% over two years into his presidency. Interestingly, tax rates for the wealthiest Americans were 14% higher under Reagan than under Obama and will remain over 10% higher under Reagan than Obama when the Bush tax cuts expire.

If only reality were a simple sound bite of right and wrong.
Is comparing Obama to Reagan the new spin being employed by the Left?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies