Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Confederate Flag is a symbol of:
Racism, slavery, and segregation 129 49.62%
Southern culture, history, and freedom 131 50.38%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 08:22 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,516,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Gee, why do you keep trying to divert the topic? Dont you want to talk about the Lost Cause tenets?

If you dont want to, just say so, or dont respond.... no need to panic.
Honey? Calm down, ok Shhhhhh. Get a grip. Now then, I would really like you to justify the northern slave trade, and the laws on northern books forbidding black residency.

When you can do that? THEN we will discuss the South, ok? Isn't that fair?

Read this while you mull it over:

Slavery in the North

See? Here is what you are not getting. I am not going to play along with your game. I am going to turn it around and ask you to justfiy the northern position. And the northern segregation laws...and the northern slave trade. And the unjustified invasion of the Southern states. You can start anytime, DL...

Old 02-20-2010, 08:38 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,029,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Honey? Calm down, ok Shhhhhh. Get a grip. Now then, I would really like you to justify the northern slave trade, and the laws on northern books forbidding black residency.

When you can do that? THEN we will discuss the South, ok? Isn't that fair?

Read this while you mull it over:

Slavery in the North

See? Here is what you are not getting. I am not going to play along with your game. I am going to turn it around and ask you to justfiy the northern position. And the northern segregation laws...and the northern slave trade. And the unjustified invasion of the Southern states. You can start anytime, DL...
Wow, this is amazing. Are you afraid to talk frankly about the Lost Cause, or what? It's only a topic, and a fascinating one at that.

First place I linked to it is at page 90 (!):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post12923147

Dont be so threatened and feel you HAVE to control the flow of conversation. I asked you first, so let's just take turns here.

Unless you think that's "playing a game"

Old 02-20-2010, 08:59 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,816,368 times
The North was so charming why would anyone want to secede from them.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:01 PM

37,659 posts, read 21,803,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Opponents of the Confederate flag see it as an overt symbol of racism (especially directed toward African Americans), both for the history of racial slavery in the United States, and the establishment of Jim Crow laws by Southern states following the end of Reconstruction in late 1870s, enforcing racial segregation within state borders for nearly a century until the Civil Rights Movement.

Supporters of the flag view it as a symbol of heritage and the freedom of the distinct cultural tradition of the South from the oppression of Northern government. Also, in light of some schools and universities banning it as a racist symbol in their "speech codes", it could also be seen as a symbol of freedom of speech.

Flags of the Confederate States of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't suppose anyone living today views the Southern Cross in the same way as the people did back in those days. You couldn't have 600,000 people die, nor have seen or heard of the tragedies and atrocities that occurred, without having an emotional attachment to the flag your side was flying.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:23 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,516,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Wow, this is amazing. Are you afraid to talk frankly about the Lost Cause, or what? It's only a topic, and a fascinating one at that.

First place I linked to it is at page 90 (!):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post12923147

Dont be so threatened and feel you HAVE to control the flow of conversation. I asked you first, so let's just take turns here.

Unless you think that's "playing a game"
LOL You got it, hon. I am afraid to talk about it! *GASP* That's gotta be it!

BUT...I will play the game. *grins* You asked me first? And I answered.

Now then? Let me rejoin and ask:

1. Justify the Northern slave trade
2. Justify the laws in certain northern states banning black residency
3. Why is the official KKK banner the Stars and Stripes?

After you finish, we can discuss the Confederate Flag!

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-20-2010 at 09:39 PM..

Old 02-20-2010, 09:23 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,517,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
The North was so charming why would anyone want to secede from them.
I hope you meant that sarcastically. Yes, the North financially blackmailed the South--and it's still doing it today.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:28 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,517,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
So are a lot of states. To say Virginia = the South is analogous to saying a hand is the same as a man.
A picayune point, certainly, but I get cranky when parameters are changed because an argument isn't going well.
Let me state it clearly again, so there is no misunderstanding. The South--as a whole--produced most of our nation's presidents. I never specified any one specific state, and am not prepared to do so now. You were the one to bring up Virginia, in an apparent attempt to confuse matters, I never did so.

However, of the 50 states, more of our presidents have come out of Virginia than have come out of any other state.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:12 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,816,368 times
Coon dog please tell us about Joshua Speed and Abe Lincoln.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:34 AM

177 posts, read 265,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Coon dog please tell us about Joshua Speed and Abe Lincoln.
Maybe later...

Herndon was so outraged by the "pretended biographies" of his late friend that he wrote the following to Lincoln's former associate Ward H. Lamon on 18 February 1870:
In New Salem Mr. Lincoln lived with a class of men, moved with them, and had his being with them. They were scoffers at religion, made loud protests against the followers of Christianity. They declared that Jesus was an illegitimate child.
The Cult of Lincoln, by Greg Loren Durand

Later is now........

Lacuna: Abe Lincoln Writes to Joshua Speed
Dear Joshua: You know that I love you,
That I have always loved you—only you—
The woman means nothing to me—nothing!

http://politicians.suite101.com/arti...olns_sexuality
http://www.gayheroes.com/abe.htm

http://gaylife.about.com/od/gayright...yablincoln.htm

Last edited by Coon dog; 02-21-2010 at 06:42 AM..

Old 02-21-2010, 08:43 AM

646 posts, read 799,077 times
delusianne,what in the world is your point concerning the lost cause.Noone needs to read your wikipedia link.The "lost cause" began with the south's defeat of war.Then with our land in ruins and with Sherman's scorched earth policy reminders of the war were evident.So the lost cause was a regions memory of war.In the late 1800s and early 1900s the Son and Daughters of the confederacy began to have large meetings "in memory of the valor of the soldier of the south".They pushed for and erected memorials and statues and monuments to keep their memory alive.Sure,there was finger pointing as to why the south lost,some toward Robert E. Lee some to Braxton Bragg.I guess you can say "what ifs".Nathan Bedford Forrest could not stand Bragg and blamed him completely for the loss of Chattanooga,"the gateway of the south".But noone questioned the honor and valor of the southern soldier.The lost cause is nothing more than a regions memory of the war,and it's wishes that somehow it could return to it's antebellum days.Big freakin deal.Now can you answer TexasRebs question.I don't think you can.America has never lost a war on it's land,the south has and developed a bond between southerners that exist today.I do not see your fascination with the lost cause.Mississippi was the richest state in the union prior to the war,after the war and even today the poorest,as with many ex confederate states
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies