Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Confederate Flag is a symbol of:
Racism, slavery, and segregation 129 49.62%
Southern culture, history, and freedom 131 50.38%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:07 AM

392 posts, read 557,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
I'm not sure of the relevancy of your statement, but keep guessing.
Gideon said,
The question is very relevant simply because Christian schools have a tendency of corrupting History, even more so than secular schools do. They ignore the fact that America was founded in a violent takeover by supposed so called Christian founding fathers, whom were in partnership with corrupted European investors and banks; whom btw still control the US and the majority of the world.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksevers View Post
Sure. The ONLY thing I ever agreed with Obama on was that we southerners cling to our guns and our Bibles. I am sure there are people all over this country who would die for their faith and this country, but if you've ever experienced true southern pride, you would agree that there is nothing like it. I am taken back to the many weeks I would spend with my grandparents growing up. My grandfather PROUDLY displayed his confederate flag from his front porch, but that man hated no one. My grandmother, cousins & I would sit and shell green beans, shuck corn and sing southern hymns that still bring me comfort in my life today. My grandparents were very very poor, and every generation before them was worse off than the one before. They didn't own slaves. That misguided viewpoint always baffles me. My grandfather, however, kept that flag flying until the day he died.
As I think about the many true southerners who are fighting for our country, I would venture to believe that they likely have very similar stories, and preserving those memories and that heritage means everything. I can tell you without hesitation, if I were faced with death every single day, I would CLING to that which always comforted me...the legacy my grandparents left for their children and grandchildren.

Gideon said, Oh I see, so you cling to your guns and Bibles. Ye can not serve two masters. You will love the one and hate the other. We have heard it said, thou shalt not kill. Why would you need a gun if you have Jesus??? The two do not go together; I will guarantee you that.

I would venture to say, you are probably so foolish as to believe Bush and Obama are fighting for our freedom in Iraq and now Afganestan. Don't you get it; our children, neices, and nephews are fighting for corporate American interest. You probably think we elected Obama also. Further if the south were so incredible why did they get the butts kicked in the war by the Yankees.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:22 AM

478 posts, read 769,620 times
I don't see the confederate flag as representing either of the two choices you gave as an option. I see it, quite simply, as a symbol of our country divided. And that's nothing to be proud of.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:31 AM

Anyone with common scense should be willing to admit that not only should the confederate flag be banned, but all terrorist groups in the US should be banned and war should be waged on them. We seem to be concerned about unimportant matters; like sending our kids off to foreign lands to fight for the wealthy elites oil reserves. Our concern should be in uniting our front here at home and breaking all domestic terrorist groups whom dwell here. A house divided against itself, will not stand.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:37 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,135,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon7620 View Post
Anyone with common scense should be willing to admit that not only should the confederate flag be banned, but all terrorist groups in the US should be banned and war should be waged on them. We seem to be concerned about unimportant matters; like sending our kids off to foreign lands to fight for the wealthy elites oil reserves. Our concern should be in uniting our front here at home and breaking all domestic terrorist groups whom dwell here. A house divided against itself, will not stand.
Anyone who loves this country, would be willing to admit that doing as you suggest would be the BIGGEST Anti-American thing you can do.

They would also suggest that anyone who even SUGGESTS such a thing should have their citizenship revoked and should be deported to some foreign land.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
Your lack of connection between the two examples demonstrate it for me.

The connection is equivocal; you just do not have the common sense to realize it.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Anyone who loves this country, would be willing to admit that doing as you suggest would be the BIGGEST Anti-American thing you can do.

They would also suggest that anyone who even SUGGESTS such a thing should have their citizenship revoked and should be deported to some foreign land.

Gideon said, So you think it is ok for America to ban terrorist groups and symbols in foreign lands, but it is ok to allow white supremacist symbols and white supremacist terrorist groups to thrive and exist in our own country. You must enjoy the company of racist people yourself. I think we should deport you back to europe or where ever you came from.. Most ceertainly you are not native to this land...nor do you respect its values as many Europeans...You can not deport me, I am native to the Americans, and my fathers established the first Jewish Temple in Surinam.. We are highly respected, loved, and admired by the indiginous people...

Old 02-07-2010, 09:47 AM

11,574 posts, read 13,892,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon7620 View Post
You can not deport me, I am native to the Americans, and my fathers established the first Jewish Temple in Surinam
Would you like a cookie?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:29 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,010,268 times
Default The fact that it sells, doesn't make it a good product...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
Epic fail of a post. I was recently shopping at a local flea market and some of the nicer 3'x5' Confederate Flags were selling for $35. The vendor said it's an item that moves, he sells plenty of them. I don't recall anyone selling used toilet paper or even giving it away for that matter. My advice to you .......do not start a business anytime soon.
What's more American than "anything for a dollar?"....

There are many things I won't do -- won't sell -- won't promote -- won't put my time and talent into because I believe that what those things stand for are in some way morally wrong or bad.

There would be many products removed from the American marketplace if more businesses were like me...
Don't get me wrong, I don't believe they should be banned or anything. I simply believe that many items that are for sale in the marketplace promote certain attitudes, practices and belief systems that are not desirable.

Before you get into the "proud history" of the Confederate flag let me assure you that I already know. I grew up in the South.

Today, more than 500 extremist groups use the Confederate Flag as one of their symbols.

I would not be proud of being their vendor.

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-07-2010 at 10:45 AM..

Old 02-07-2010, 10:39 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,029,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
But here is a better one. The "winners history" says the South started the war because they fired on Ft. Sumter. Ok...but from the Southern perspective (the one I share in) the Union garrison in the fort were armed troops within Confederate territorial waters. It was no more acceptable than British troops would have been in the Boston Harbor during the American Revolution. The newly formed Confederacy offered every compromise possible. Instead, the Lincoln government provoked an incident which lead to a needless war upon a people who had done nothing to deserve it.
Thank you for the examples, I appreciate them. Some random thoughts:

Again, history itself is not biased, for heaven's sake. That's just the dumbest thing Ive read in a while.

I take it you mean that the South's quite rational stances are dismissed or ignored or distorted in education and lowest-common-denominator type popular culture. I pointed out that there are hundreds of books, monographs, articles, historical societies etc that work hard to present the South's point of view.

If you want to continue on being a passive observer and a victim of books and movies that come your way, sitting and complaining about how they dont tell the Real Story, be my guest. I dont see why any adult would want to do that, though, unless their goal is the complaining and resenting part.

Hmm, what else. Ken Burns's mass-audience TV series -- please give some examples where it's biased. Did it not try to present the South's POV, or did it omit crucial information? Please let me know, or give me links to someplace online that discusses this, I havent seen it in awhile.

The history of slavery in the states that by 1860 were non-slave states is immaterial, why do you keep on and on about it? Are you resentful at the North's hypocrisy, because the North acted all shocked, as if they never had traded in slaves when in fact they certainly had? That seems to be a key issue: "When those who seem to have such a deep-rooted disdain for the South and her history..." I guess that's a good enough way to stay passive and continue to cling to old angers.

Of course, the Southern states "wanted nothing more than to go in peace" and continue on as they had been. Why wouldnt they? Unfortunately the issue of whether slaves were human beings or property arose, an issue deeper than states' rights.

I really dont understand the battle that Southerners continue to fight. You seem to be insisting on the 1860 slaveowners' South getting respect and being understood... that the "takeaway idea," that humans are not property and that the South went to war in order to maintain it as an economic tool, took hold in the national consciousness instead of a sympathetic understanding of the South's situation and the times.

The Southern slaveholders's POV is taught in schools, I think starting around at a high school level, where the concept of "economic need" vs. "moral imperative" can be understood and discussed.

Have you looked at school textbooks and the different grades' suggested reading material regarding the issue? Maybe you could lobby your state school board to adjust the content of national textbooks to be more fair.

Or you could even write something yourself

I have a request. Would you look at the Wikipedia Battle of Ft Sumter entry and show me where the "Background" section is incorrect? (Then you could edit it, if it's wrong, to set the record straight for millions of people around the world who *do* turn to W'pedia as a source of information.)

Battle of Fort Sumter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seriously, Id appreciate it if you'd actively point out the errors in that "Background" section, and in the Ken Burns documentary, and other specific sources from which Americans get their misinformation regarding the South.... thank you for the two examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies