Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Confederate Flag is a symbol of:
Racism, slavery, and segregation 129 49.62%
Southern culture, history, and freedom 131 50.38%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 05:28 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,135,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
The fact that more than 500 hate groups have aligned themselves with that flag speaks volumes. .
I'd like you to then address this issue if you would: Many, if not most, of those very same groups you mention, have "aligned themselves" also with the United States flag. The fly the Stars and Stripes concurrently with the Confederate flag.

By your standards, the United States Flag then stands for hate also? If not, why not?

Old 02-07-2010, 05:30 PM

621 posts, read 1,050,719 times
Quote:
Honey, I keep telling you.

I grew up in the South.

I've studied American History. I've also studied African American History...I grew up in a time when segregation was just ending. I remember when JFK and MLK were killed. I understand southern people. I am one of them.

The fact that more than 500 hate groups have aligned themselves with that flag speaks volumes.

Those who won't accept the truth and who choose not to address that reality,... they're unacceptable to me.
Don't let the hate groups steal the heritage and history behind the flag by giving them a "nod" of acknowledgment.

They are cowards and thieves and will do whatever they can for attention. It feeds their need for power.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:38 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,010,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'd like you to then address this issue if you would: Many, if not most, of those very same groups you mention, have "aligned themselves" also with the United States flag. The fly the Stars and Stripes concurrently with the Confederate flag.

By your standards, the United States Flag then stands for hate also? If not, why not?
No. The Stars & Stripes stands for a country who is inclusive and who defends individual rights and freedom for all Americans.

Hate groups abuse that freedom...

Old 02-07-2010, 05:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,517,452 times
I grew up in the South too. After integration was the rule, not an exception. High schools were integrated, workplaces were integrated--everything else was integrated. I knew blacks who had "Rebel pride", and would fly that flag, put it on the car bumper.

I always considered them my "social" equals. We're both in the same socioeconomic class, after all.

Last edited by TKramar; 02-07-2010 at 05:57 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 05:42 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,010,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
Don't let the hate groups steal the heritage and history behind the flag by giving them a "nod" of acknowledgment.

They are cowards and thieves and will do whatever they can for attention. It feeds their need for power.
I can tell that you and I would never agree.

You seem to live in an ideal world and and you are defending something that you admit that you have no personal experience with.

I can look back over my lifetime and I can tell you with authority that I've never known anyone who displayed the Confederate flag in any way that I would want as a friend. Truth is, those folks are few and far between. The ones that come to mind that were so "proud" of that flag were truly racists, bigots and rednecks.
I'm sorry to say it but that's been my personal experience.

Now, Robinstyler, I am bowing out of this conversation.

You have a nice day -- where ever it is that you're hailing from !

Old 02-07-2010, 05:44 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,135,339 times
Quote:
No. The Stars & Stripes stands for a country who is inclusive and who defends individual rights and freedom for all Americans.

Hate groups abuse that freedom...
Yet the Stars and Stripes are being associated with - flown by, those very same "hate" groups -

If you disavow one flag because of who uses is - you have to disavow all the flags those groups use

Old 02-07-2010, 05:46 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,029,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
Did you ever wonder why any hate group, let alone five hundred of them, would adopt this particular flag?

Old 02-07-2010, 05:48 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,029,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksevers View Post
Thank you for being respectful when this is such a very touchy subject.
Don't you want to address the question? Your grandfather and shucking corn arent exactly the Southern legacy we're talking about.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:56 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,517,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Did you ever wonder why any hate group, let alone five hundred of them, would adopt this particular flag?

I don't know, why did the Nazis take the swastika, a perfectly benign symbol, and twist it for their uses?

Old 02-07-2010, 05:58 PM

621 posts, read 1,050,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
No. I know why they do it. They have a perverted version of reality and pluck the same from the history and revel in it.

They also love the power of intimidation. They use that to silence the people who could otherwise stand against them.

So, getting rid of the flag actually is a WIN for them. THEY enjoy the POWER of changing history to match their perversion of it.

Though I know "World Citizen" believes I have an idealistic view of the world. I do not.

I believe that "giving" the flag to the hate groups as a way to fight against their power is an idealistic way of defeating them. Because it does not make them go away.

Have a problem with a hate group? Tell them so directly. Don't give them the flag just because they took it. It just doesn't make sense to me that anyone would believe it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies