Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 01:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Nobody ever retires and moves up North.
Weather. Cost of living. If N.Y. for example had Florida's weather, they wouldn't leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
People are generally more polite in the south.
This confuses liberals, it makes their head spin. They're too used to hating everything on sight.
Zero truth in that statement. Human nature is NEVER determined by geography, and its asenine to postulate otherwise. People are people are people and so on....

The South has the EXACT same cross section of assh*les as every other region. Maybe you should pull up the video of James Meredith attempting to integrate Ole Miss...not a whole lot of politeness going on unless that's your idea of polite. It ain't mine, that's for damn sure.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:58 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
If they didn't have such a bunch of inbred racist conspiracy nuts down there, it would be a nice place. I just don't care to live around people like The Dukes of Hazzard although I would not mind living in Mayberry if it really existed and had any blacks, gays, Jews, Muslims or Hispanics. That is why so many whites down there like it.
Kind of ironic that you say that....when the blacks as a portion of the population is higher in the south than liberal enclaves like NY or MA. I'm not positive of this, but if memory serves me correct, the states with the highest percentage of blacks is MS, AL and LA. So tell me, whatcha got against black people.

eta, gotta correct my post, don't want to spread any mis-information. States with highest percentage of blacks are MS, LA, GA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...can_population

Kind of odd that it's all the southern states that so many liberals like to hate on.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Seems like every time you bring up Texas or Alabama or some other southern state liberals jump all you with illogical and mocking comments.
It's not just Northern liberals who make fun of the South. Northerners of all political ilk make mocking comments about the South. It's in our DNA...it's tradition.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:26 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
OP presents a valid question. I am from the north, a liberal myself, and I know many "fellow" liberals who have a very skewed perception of the south. They think of it as second world often times, most people drive old pick up trucks, everyone talks with a thick southern accent, major cities in the south aren't the same as major cities in the north, all their rules, policies, and laws are backwards and archaic, they rank so low in national rankings that they must be bad.

Having lived in Mississippi for the past 3 years I can tell you none of this is true. The south is just like the north, just a different climate for politics, very little changes between the two areas of the country.

The reason many liberals feel disdain towards the south is because the south is full of "conservatives", their sworn political enemy, just as many southerners are afraid of or hold disdain for the northern states. Of course not all are foolish enough to believe in these groundless stereotypes, most people are enlightened enough to know better, and to realize we live in the 21st century, not the 19th century.
I'm from the north and i once had a very nagative perception of the south. That all changed when I travelled. Many parts of the south are really nice, and many of the people are as well.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:28 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
I guess for the same reasons that conservatives hate California and cheer the thought of an earthquake here...

Old 03-08-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I'm from the north and i once had a very nagative perception of the south. That all changed when I travelled. Many parts of the south are really nice, and many of the people are as well.
I agree 100%. I really like parts of the South. Hell, half of retirees in my state own winter homes down there. But that really doesn't stop the mocking comments. Like I said, it's in our DNA to make fun of the South.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:41 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Southernern are in general more conservative, more religious, and more into guns. They are more into suburban living and car culture. The South can be diverse in the urban areas but most if the rural South is white. That's why liberals hate it.
That's completely untrue- there are tons of rural areas that are primarily black. The Mississippi Delta is very rural, the poorest part of the state and it is mostly black. The following is a listing of cities with the highest percent black population. 20 out of the 25 are rural southern areas. And if you look at the complete list, there are hundreds more rural southern cities that are 70+% black.
Moderator cut: multiple links removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 03-22-2013 at 08:03 AM..

Old 03-08-2013, 02:43 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I agree 100%. I really like parts of the South. Hell, half of retirees in my state own winter homes down there. But that really doesn't stop the mocking comments. Like I said, it's in our DNA to make fun of the South.

Yeah, and like they say "you can't fix stupid."

Old 03-08-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Yeah, and like they say "you can't fix stupid."
100% true. And yes... I realize that's an insult

Old 03-08-2013, 02:50 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
It's not just Northern liberals who make fun of the South. Northerners of all political ilk make mocking comments about the South. It's in our DNA...it's tradition.

And it is in the DNA of many people of the South to mock the North. They are just as ignorant as the mockers of the North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies