Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:24 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,622,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Seems like every time you bring up Texas or Alabama or some other southern state liberals jump all you with illogical and mocking comments.
Then why do you keep bringing them up?

Everytime I hit myself in the head with this hammer it hurts!

Old 01-24-2010, 08:48 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,935,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Because they have way too much of the 'ances'. You know, ignorance and arrogance. Because they are always a generation behind the rest of the country in just about everything.

But mostly because they are arrogant and dumb.
AUM, there's the answer to your question; the elitist attitude.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:51 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,317,566 times
Quote:
Seems like every time you bring up Texas or Alabama or some other southern state liberals jump all you with illogical and mocking comments.
It's a regional, not political. We all mock the South. "Dueling Banjos" comes to mind.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:55 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,016,272 times
Methinks posters here have watched Deliverance too many times..

But in all seriousness it is rather telling that some people are actually trying to justify their fixation with South-bashing. I thought it was contained to the General US forum, guess I was wrong.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:18 AM

2,239 posts, read 1,380,061 times
As far as racism goes, remember Roxbury (burb of Boston) when they tried busing? And I seem to remember that Michigan had some problems along those same lines.

If you look around and only see a bunch of dumb a**es, maybe that says more about you than them. Just a thought.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:25 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,534,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You can count me in....I've done it before...Offered to buy a guys gas to back up north if he it hated here so much..As I was handing him the money he shut up..
LOL Why am I not surprised?

Old 01-24-2010, 09:28 AM

37,754 posts, read 40,839,576 times
Quote:
They were brought up to think they are better (smarter, more cultured, more awesome) than everyone else by the urban media, Hollywood and by talking to each other and it's drummed into their heads every day so much so that they don't even know it. They think they know everything about everything because they read it in a book, see it in a museum, visit a park in a concrete jungle or a vegetable garden between two high rises. Urban people don't get out much. Unlike people who live in open spaces, people who live in big cities and on islands don't leave those places as much as the rest of us, on a regular basis. They are insulated. Where we go out looking for daily adventures in other places in our vehicles, they expect stuff to do to come to them or they stay within the confines of their city and get around via mass transportation.

It's not easy (or cheap) to leave a big city or get off an island, like Long Island (where you have to go through NYC) so they just don't get exposed to/sample many things in their natural setting. You know, they think they know Southern culture by watching movies made in Hollywood, by reading newspapers written by urban elitist desk jockeys, by seeing the marginalization Southerners get from the urban so-called National TV news and cable organizations (who think they'll melt if they go out to suburbia or rural areas and find out what people really think instead of reading data and guessing) and they only talk to each other at parties and at work. When the urbanites actually leave to go to another state or another place in their state, they go to tourist destinations full of more people just like them.

Of course they have group think. It's reinforced on a daily basis. The Internet actually exposes them to things they never heard before and it scares them. It's different. They're afraid of Southerners. They lash out. How dare they have thoughts of their own about the way life ought to be...

Born in the Bronx, lived on Long Island most of my life, lived in Md for 12 more years and now living in Tennessee for the things it offers me to do. Also, exposed to union propaganda at work for 34 years.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:45 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,371,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You can count me in....I've done it before...Offered to buy a guys gas to back up north if he it hated here so much..As I was handing him the money he shut up..

No one has ever offered to hand me any money, and it certainly wouldn't shut me up.

But I like how you assume I am not from Texas. As if no one born in this miserable excuse for a state could ever dislike it.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:47 AM

228 posts, read 482,333 times
Saying that "liberals" hate the south is another ignorant generalization, which can be added to all of the others that appear in this forum on a daily basis. And when you say "southern states" do you literally mean all of the states that are geographically southern, or the states that have the typical 'southern culture'. Because states like Florida do not fall in the latter category while states like Alabama and Mississippi do.

But, why do many PEOPLE (regardless of political affiliations) think so negatively of the "southern culture" states? Here are a few reasons why:

Most of (not all) of these states (Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, Louisiana, etc):

-Have the lowest minimum wages in the country
-Have the highest rates of smokers in the U.S.
-Have some of the most un-healthy people (ie, highest amount of overweight people etc)
-Have the shortest life spans compared to the other states in the country.
-Have the highest amount of fundamentalist extreme Christians (the "bible belt"). Who are for the most part ignorant and hateful of any other cultures or religions.

All of these factors combine to give a generally lower quality of life. On top of this, many people still carry negative connotations of the south due to Civil-War era issues. Then there are the usual stereotypes of people from the south being dumb, etc.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:51 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,534,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
Saying that "liberals" hate the south is another ignorant generalization, which can be added to all of the others that appear in this forum on a daily basis. And when you say "southern states" do you literally mean all of the states that are geographically southern, or the states that have the typical 'southern culture'. Because states like Florida do not fall in the latter category while states like Alabama and Mississippi do.

But, why do many PEOPLE (regardless of political affiliations) think so negatively of the "southern culture" states? Here are a few reasons why:

Most of (not all) of these states (Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, Louisiana, etc):

-Have the lowest minimum wages in the country
-Have the highest rates of smokers in the U.S.
-Have some of the most un-healthy people (ie, highest amount of overweight people etc)
-Have the shortest life spans compared to the other states in the country.
-Have the highest amount of fundamentalist extreme Christians (the "bible belt"). Who are for the most part ignorant and hateful of any other cultures or religions.

All of these factors combine to give a generally lower quality of life. On top of this, many people still carry negative connotations of the south due to Civil-War era issues. Then there are the usual stereotypes of people from the south being dumb, etc.
But for some odd reason, yankees keep moving down here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies