Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:54 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
No one has ever offered to hand me any money, and it certainly wouldn't shut me up.

But I like how you assume I am not from Texas. As if no one born in this miserable excuse for a state could ever dislike it.

The basic question remains though, WHY on God's green earth do you keep sticking around????

Old 01-24-2010, 11:12 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
The basic question remains though, WHY on God's green earth do you keep sticking around????

As I said, it's not by choice, but I will be gone by summer.

Want to buy a house?

Old 01-24-2010, 11:18 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why does the OP generalize so much?
Think there aren't any liberals in the south?
Duh.

So only liberals can be racially tolerant?

I have found that the average conservative is VERY racially tolerant. Generalizations like some perpetuate are a big problem as to why the country has so much division

Old 01-24-2010, 11:33 AM

768 posts, read 942,631 times
Default I haven't read the thread, sorry if I'm being redundant

Like all cultures, the South has a lot to be admired. A streak of independence in some circles. A "neighbor" culture, where people genuinely care and have love for those nearby. The women. Can't say enough here. As a northerner, there is no nuance; no alternative. No place in Europe, to include Italy and Spain, that comes close. The South has the hottest women in the world, by far. When I was in Austin it was hard to walk around and not get arrested for indecent exposure.

But alas, the charms are outweighed by the negatives for me. Speaking in statistically-based generalities, relative to the North:

The hatred of all things non-white.

Religious stupidity resulting in a myriad of pain and suffering, to include: worse schools, some even suggesting Creationism taught alongside Evolution(this is a country already struggling in math and science relative to The Orient), women staying in abusive relationship for retarded religious reasons. The general stupidity permeating through a person in a competitive workplace that results in belief in the unbelievable, etc.

The dismissal of intelligentsia and all things learned as work of "liberals." This results in a lot of pain as well; the list is too long to detail

Obesity

Smoking culture

Shortest life-span

Hatred of gays, rooted in stupidity and ignorance(see above)

An unwillingness to simply learn and progress in general. See: love of tobacco and alcohol while having the harshest marijuana laws in all of North America

And on and on. The root of The Stupid could have its' collective head chopped off by an increase in education and a subsequent dismissal of religion.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:43 AM

631 posts, read 1,290,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
Like all cultures, the South has a lot to be admired. A streak of independence in some circles. A "neighbor" culture, where people genuinely care and have love for those nearby. The women. Can't say enough here. As a northerner, there is no nuance; no alternative. No place in Europe, to include Italy and Spain, that comes close. The South has the hottest women in the world, by far. When I was in Austin it was hard to walk around and not get arrested for indecent exposure.

But alas, the charms are outweighed by the negatives for me. Speaking in statistically-based generalities, relative to the North:

The hatred of all things non-white.

Religious stupidity resulting in a myriad of pain and suffering, to include: worse schools, some even suggesting Creationism taught alongside Evolution(this is a country already struggling in math and science relative to The Orient), women staying in abusive relationship for retarded religious reasons. The general stupidity permeating through a person in a competitive workplace that results in belief in the unbelievable, etc.

The dismissal of intelligentsia and all things learned as work of "liberals." This results in a lot of pain as well; the list is too long to detail

Obesity

Smoking culture

Shortest life-span

Hatred of gays, rooted in stupidity and ignorance(see above)

An unwillingness to simply learn and progress in general. See: love of tobacco and alcohol while having the harshest marijuana laws in all of North America

And on and on. The root of The Stupid could have its' collective head chopped off by an increase in education and a subsequent dismissal of religion.
Not only are most of your claims off-base, but you're confusing rural living to urban living. I've been to rural Pennsylvania and believe me, they are NO different from rural people who live in the South - same with Maryland and all of the mid-west states. Haven't been to New England so can't say anything there... but trust me, you are so, so wrong.

And it should come as no surprise that the north as a whole is more industrialized than the south (economies were just based on different things, it's not because one is better over the other, without the south the north couldn't exist).

Old 01-24-2010, 11:45 AM

768 posts, read 942,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
Not only are most of your claims off-base, but you're confusing rural living to urban living. I've been to rural Pennsylvania and believe me, they are NO different from rural people who live in the South - same with Maryland and all of the mid-west states. Haven't been to New England so can't say anything there... but trust me, you are so, so wrong.
Literally everything I said is a verifiable fact short the claims of progression(opinion), and the conclusion, which was an opinion. Which of my claims do you disagree with so I can link studies?

Old 01-24-2010, 11:50 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
Saying that "liberals" hate the south is another ignorant generalization, which can be added to all of the others that appear in this forum on a daily basis. And when you say "southern states" do you literally mean all of the states that are geographically southern, or the states that have the typical 'southern culture'. Because states like Florida do not fall in the latter category while states like Alabama and Mississippi do.

But, why do many PEOPLE (regardless of political affiliations) think so negatively of the "southern culture" states? Here are a few reasons why:

Most of (not all) of these states (Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, Louisiana, etc):

-Have the lowest minimum wages in the country
-Have the highest rates of smokers in the U.S.
-Have some of the most un-healthy people (ie, highest amount of overweight people etc)
-Have the shortest life spans compared to the other states in the country.
-Have the highest amount of fundamentalist extreme Christians (the "bible belt"). Who are for the most part ignorant and hateful of any other cultures or religions.

All of these factors combine to give a generally lower quality of life. On top of this, many people still carry negative connotations of the south due to Civil-War era issues. Then there are the usual stereotypes of people from the south being dumb, etc.
Right. It is not "Hollywood" with negative stereotypes as much as it is some Southerns who perpetuate those characteristics. Let's be honest, compared to the rest of the nation, the South is last when it comes to smart people. That is changing & the cities are an example of how the dumb redneck is being replaced with the sophisticated Southern!

Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 AM

631 posts, read 1,290,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
Literally everything I said is a verifiable fact short the claims of progression(opinion), and the conclusion, which was an opinion. Which of my claims do you disagree with so I can link studies?
Suggesting that everyone in the south is in an abusive relationship because of religion, saying we have a hatred for all things non-white, smoking is understandable because it was/is grown here so I don't know why you bothered to list it

The hatred of gays is a rural/urban difference not a north/south difference.

And I don't know where you are getting the dismissal of intelligentsia from at all.

And I further don't know how you can possibly suggest that people in the south drink any more than people in the north - I mean you are the people with clubs and everything and what not if you get what i'm saying...

Old 01-24-2010, 11:53 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
Saying that "liberals" hate the south is another ignorant generalization, which can be added to all of the others that appear in this forum on a daily basis. And when you say "southern states" do you literally mean all of the states that are geographically southern, or the states that have the typical 'southern culture'. Because states like Florida do not fall in the latter category while states like Alabama and Mississippi do.

But, why do many PEOPLE (regardless of political affiliations) think so negatively of the "southern culture" states? Here are a few reasons why:

Most of (not all) of these states (Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, Louisiana, etc):

-Have the lowest minimum wages in the country
-Have the highest rates of smokers in the U.S.
-Have some of the most un-healthy people (ie, highest amount of overweight people etc)
-Have the shortest life spans compared to the other states in the country.
-Have the highest amount of fundamentalist extreme Christians (the "bible belt"). Who are for the most part ignorant and hateful of any other cultures or religions.

All of these factors combine to give a generally lower quality of life. On top of this, many people still carry negative connotations of the south due to Civil-War era issues. Then there are the usual stereotypes of people from the south being dumb, etc.
Those stats may be true, but them living that way does not intrude on anybody else's lifestyle. I respect that a lot more than the people who write laws to curb these habbits for the sake of control, taxes and the feeling of "I'm doing something 'good'". Aka liberals regardless of where they live.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:55 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Right. It is not "Hollywood" with negative stereotypes as much as it is some Southerns who perpetuate those characteristics. Let's be honest, compared to the rest of the nation, the South is last when it comes to smart people. That is changing & the cities are an example of how the dumb redneck is being replaced with the sophisticated Southern!
No it's hollywood, California loves to flaunt whatever intellegence or tolerance it has but God forbid you have any Conservative mindset. That state has it's head up in the clouds, IOU's for loans, what geniuses. Cities don't change anything, they bring congestion and bad superiority complexes.

See, how do you feel now when someone spouts crap?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies