Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 07:03 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,400,766 times

Advertisements

This post might be a repeat, it is a very long thread. I am guessing that the people who fly the confederate flag probably don't take to kindly to the rainbow flag that many gay people wave. I'll bet that many of them would make rude comments at the people flying the flag.

Imagine two neighbors across the street from each other, one flying the confederate flag and one flying a rainbow flag. Which one of the neighbors do you think would be more upset? I'm generalizing, but think of the one with the highest percentage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 07:19 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Princess, I believe you have hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what is going on with these folks. They long for the good old days of mint juleps and black slaves doing all of the work. It's kind of sad, really. They are so desperately unhappy that they long for the days when they actually could feel superior to somebody else.
You know that you are completely wrong, but yet you would post something like this. Nobody even talks about the so called good old days you are speaking of. No one is unhappy. We just wish people like you would mind your own business. I guess your own life is so uneventful that you have to try to infringe on other people's rights. Hopefully, one day you will have something else to occupy your time.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:51 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
This post might be a repeat, it is a very long thread. I am guessing that the people who fly the confederate flag probably don't take to kindly to the rainbow flag that many gay people wave. I'll bet that many of them would make rude comments at the people flying the flag.
On the contrary, I don't think most of them/us give it a thought. Live and let live. In fact -- although I have no way of proving/disproving it, one way or another -- I would bet those who display the "Rainbow flag" are much more intolerant than those who display the Confederate. Let's go...

Quote:
Imagine two neighbors across the street from each other, one flying the confederate flag and one flying a rainbow flag. Which one of the neighbors do you think would be more upset? I'm generalizing, but think of the one with the highest percentage!
One thing to be asked aforehand is exactly what does the "rainbow flag" stand for? What rallying point does it represent?

Upset? Oh gosh yes, let's let who gets "upset" and 'offended" be the end all and be all.

Regardless, I put my money on that the folks with the Confederate Flag would be the most likely to bring their neighbors some food, help them change a flat tire, lend a hammer and nail, etc.

Last edited by TexasReb; 01-29-2010 at 08:07 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
On the contrary, I don't think most of them/us give it a thought. Live and let live. In fact -- although I have no way of proving/disproving it, one way or another -- I would bet those who display the "Rainbow flag" are much more intolerant than those who display the Confederate. Let's go...

One thing to be asked aforehand is exactly what does the "rainbow flag" stand for? What rallying point does it represent?

Upset? Oh gosh yes, let's let who gets "upset" and 'offended" be the end all and be all.

Regardless, I put my money on that the folks with the Confederate Flag would be the most likely to bring their neighbors some food, help them change a flat tire, lend a hammer and nail, etc.

But oh gosh yes, lets first worry about who gets "upset".....
I don't fly either flag. I would be curious as to the answers to this question. I would guess the opposite would be true from what you believe. We will probably never know.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:31 PM

900 posts, read 672,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
You know that you are completely wrong, but yet you would post something like this. Nobody even talks about the so called good old days you are speaking of. No one is unhappy. We just wish people like you would mind your own business. I guess your own life is so uneventful that you have to try to infringe on other people's rights. Hopefully, one day you will have something else to occupy your time.

Yes, I know how 'y'all' feel about those outside agitators! If it hadn't been for them, the black folks would still know their place and you wouldn't have had to deal with all that civil rights nonsense.

You couldn't lynch them all, although you sure as hell tried.

Mississippi civil rights workers murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-29-2010, 11:32 PM

900 posts, read 672,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

Also far more likely to come with a noose if it was some poor unfortunate black that wound up with a flat tire in their neighborhood.

We know one thing the rainbow flag doesn't stand for. It doesn't stand for racism, slavery, and treason - unlike the conferate flag.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:31 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,312 times
Quote:
Yes, I know how 'y'all' feel about those outside agitators! If it hadn't been for them, the black folks would still know their place and you wouldn't have had to deal with all that civil rights nonsense.

You couldn't lynch them all, although you sure as hell tried.

Mississippi civil rights workers murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Are you always angry? Where are you from? Is it some utopia where nothing bad ever happened? If so, you are not from the United States. I wasn't in Mississippi at the time were you? I wasn't even alive, but some people have no present or future, so they keep dredging up the past. Celebrating the South of today is not wrong. Not one of these posts has said that they are proud of the bad things that happened in the South. We have said that bad things have happened in the rest of the country too, yet we seem to be the ones to blame for all the ills of the world.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:38 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post

Neither of them would bother me. Then again, I tend to keep to myself, and not worry about what my neighbor is doing.

Angus seems to think that it isn't possible for a black person to be racist towards a white. Why, I cannot fathom.

He rants about "The Dukes of Hazzard", but he's obviously never seen "All in the Family", and the bigoted character of Archie Bunker--from Queens, New York. I believe that's considered "up North" around here. Why doesn't he rant about THAT guy? Like I said in another post, it is POSSIBLE that there are racists here in the South--but they live ALL over the country. Your neo-Nazis don't care much for blacks, or Jews, or Catholics, or ...just about anyone. And they have organized in every state of the Union.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:43 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Quote:
Also far more likely to come with a noose if it was some poor unfortunate black that wound up with a flat tire in their neighborhood.

We know one thing the rainbow flag doesn't stand for. It doesn't stand for racism, slavery, and treason - unlike the conferate flag.
Or like that American flag. Did you forget that one? Treason against their government gave rise to the birth of our nation. Slavery was perfectly accepted by the Founding Fathers, and some, if not many, of them owned their own slaves. In fact, do you see in the Constitution where slaves weren't even counted as a whole person, but only three-fifths?

Still, they say one of the earliest deaths in the rebellion against that tyranny was a black man, Crispus Attucks. What did he die for? For a country that thought of him as a slave--like the other indentured servants that came to these shores?

Old 01-30-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Neither of them would bother me. Then again, I tend to keep to myself, and not worry about what my neighbor is doing.

Angus seems to think that it isn't possible for a black person to be racist towards a white. Why, I cannot fathom.

He rants about "The Dukes of Hazzard", but he's obviously never seen "All in the Family", and the bigoted character of Archie Bunker--from Queens, New York. I believe that's considered "up North" around here. Why doesn't he rant about THAT guy? Like I said in another post, it is POSSIBLE that there are racists here in the South--but they live ALL over the country. Your neo-Nazis don't care much for blacks, or Jews, or Catholics, or ...just about anyone. And they have organized in every state of the Union.
I don't think the point of All In The Family was to celebrate racism, but to show in a comedic way how ridiculous it is.

Racism is everywhere. There are people that are racist towards asians. They don't realize that there are groups of asians that are racist towards each other. The Japanese brutalized the Chinese for a very long time. Many Chinese still remember this and probably can never forgive them. Hopefully time will heal all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies