U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2010, 12:38 PM
 
26,673 posts, read 19,053,753 times
Reputation: 14254

Advertisements

danny glover, mikey moore, and sean penn were asked to comment, but were too despondent to reply

Quote:
While the world has been preoccupied with the crisis in Haiti, Latin America has quietly passed through a tipping point in the ideological conflict that has polarized the region -- and paralyzed U.S. diplomacy -- for most of the past decade.

The result boils down to this: Hugo Chávez's "socialism for the 21st century" has been defeated and is on its way to collapse.
washingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2010, 12:42 PM
 
17,787 posts, read 19,805,586 times
Reputation: 7443
Socialism crumbles for the same reason it always crumble... they ran out of money... why work more or harder if the government is just going to steal it away... if socialism ever happens, you'll see a rush to buy homes in the south where its warmer... why work in the cold? why work with snow covered roads? why work with less sunlight? why work at all? Just live on government pension... uhh... I mean on government welfare.... its not like its retirement yet... I mean its not like its like you have to work... oh wait, I be willing to bet that will be a mandate if socialism passes... socialism is for suckers..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2010, 02:11 PM
 
Location: NY
12,267 posts, read 9,444,234 times
Reputation: 8029
Unfortunately this is when dictators like Chavez become more dangerous than ever. He has been steadily buying arms from Russia and upping his rhetoric against Colombia.

Chavez is ex-military. I fully expect to hear about an "assassination attempt" or a CIA inspired plot to overthrow Chavez using Colombian troops as a pretext to strike at Colombia in an effort to divert the attention from his own misrule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2010, 02:23 PM
 
26,673 posts, read 19,053,753 times
Reputation: 14254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Unfortunately this is when dictators like Chavez become more dangerous than ever. He has been steadily buying arms from Russia and upping his rhetoric against Colombia.
i don't doubt that one bit. the worse things get in venezuela, the loopier oogo gets. get a load of this chump:

Quote:
"I demand absolute loyalty to my leadership... anything else is betrayal," said the firebrand, leftist president.

"I am not an individual, I am the people," Chavez said. "It's my duty to demand respect for the people. If you cherish the fatherland, join Chavez."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2010, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Grove City, Ohio
10,133 posts, read 12,385,819 times
Reputation: 13971
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Socialism crumbles for the same reason it always crumble... they ran out of money... why work more or harder if the government is just going to steal it away... if socialism ever happens, you'll see a rush to buy homes in the south where its warmer... why work in the cold? why work with snow covered roads? why work with less sunlight? why work at all? Just live on government pension... uhh... I mean on government welfare.... its not like its retirement yet... I mean its not like its like you have to work... oh wait, I be willing to bet that will be a mandate if socialism passes... socialism is for suckers..
Cudos for you!

With free medical, guaranteed income and housing why work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2010, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Highland, CA (formerly Newark, NJ)
6,183 posts, read 4,989,654 times
Reputation: 2150
For better or for worse, as long as he has control of the oil fields, there is no way Chavez will be dethrowned. It's like the Taliban and poppy fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2010, 03:06 PM
 
12,292 posts, read 18,409,613 times
Reputation: 19160
But oil is a commodity, one that has a limited supply. The only reason Chavez is still in power is, indeed oil, but he is one embargo, or oil price crash, or demand drop, away from losing power.

But even that won't save him. How many long term dictators have we had in Latam? He's lasted this long because of his his elimination of the competition, and he does have some populist programs in place in Venezuala. But stability is just not in the nature of these type of countries, it just doesn't happend. And his programs are failing. I give him another year before he goes down one way or another. Coup, assasination, thrown out of office, mob riots of the disenchanted. Any is a possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2010, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Highland, CA (formerly Newark, NJ)
6,183 posts, read 4,989,654 times
Reputation: 2150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
But oil is a commodity, one that has a limited supply. The only reason Chavez is still in power is, indeed oil, but he is one embargo, or oil price crash, or demand drop, away from losing power.

But even that won't save him. How many long term dictators have we had in Latam? He's lasted this long because of his his elimination of the competition, and he does have some populist programs in place in Venezuala. But stability is just not in the nature of these type of countries, it just doesn't happend. And his programs are failing. I give him another year before he goes down one way or another. Coup, assasination, thrown out of office, mob riots of the disenchanted. Any is a possibility.
Ever heard of a guy named Castro?

Oil will never not be a huge demand. Look at the Middle East or even the fact Chavez has been in power this long. Like it or not, he's there to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2010, 03:15 PM
 
26,673 posts, read 19,053,753 times
Reputation: 14254
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
For better or for worse, as long as he has control of the oil fields, there is no way Chavez will be dethrowned. It's like the Taliban and poppy fields.
he's below 50% in current polling. you figure he'd refuse to leave office if they voted him out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2010, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
20,357 posts, read 13,880,021 times
Reputation: 5233
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Socialism crumbles for the same reason it always crumble... they ran out of money... why work more or harder if the government is just going to steal it away... if socialism ever happens, you'll see a rush to buy homes in the south where its warmer... why work in the cold? why work with snow covered roads? why work with less sunlight? why work at all? Just live on government pension... uhh... I mean on government welfare.... its not like its retirement yet... I mean its not like its like you have to work... oh wait, I be willing to bet that will be a mandate if socialism passes... socialism is for suckers..
It also makes anyone who is a foreign investor choose to look elsewhere. Why invest in a a business in a country where their president can suddenly decide to nationalize your investment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top