Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:52 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,817,724 times

Advertisements

Why are the folks on the right wing trying to pretend like Obama was the one who started TARP? I have seen at least 5 posts in different threads that are saying the Obama administration bailed out AIG and the banks.

Is this one of the marching orders the overlords of the right are giving to their minions, a la "operation chaos" or is this really a result of people who have short term memory problems?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsDmPEeurfA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1C_ZdborAk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,025,743 times
Bush leveraged $350 Billion of the $700 Billion in TARP funds, and purposely left the remaining half to be quashed by his successor, or to spend it if needed.

Both President's should get equal credit/blame.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:57 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,653,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
Why are the folks on the right wing trying to pretend like Obama was the one who started TARP? I have seen at least 5 posts in different threads that are saying the Obama administration bailed out AIG and the banks.

Is this one of the marching orders the overlords of the right are giving to their minions, a la "operation chaos" or is this really a result of people who have short term memory problems?

The right does not mind all the spending as long as it is being done by somebody with an R by their name.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,419,475 times
I disagreed when Bush did and I disagreed when Obama did it. The problem is when people make the claim that Bush ruined the country especially when Obama has changed little of what Bush did.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:03 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,679,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post

Bush to Ask for TARP; Obama to 'Rebrand' It - ABC News

"In a letter to congressional leaders, Obama's top economic adviser Larry Summers called the need for the second round of funds from the Troubled Asset Relief Program is "imminent and urgent." "

Sounds like Obama was really conflicted about it. LOL.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:03 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,888,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The right does not mind all the spending as long as it is being done by somebody with an R by their name.
No, you're wrong. Many conservatives spoke out against it when President Bush originally proposed it, and when Congress authorized it, and when President Obama increased it. Conservatives have been consistent about speaking against it. So let me ask you; as a liberal Democrat, who probably spoke out against it when President Bush proposed the original TARP, are you going to be consistent and speak out against President Obama and his cowtowing Congress increasing that spending and bailout program, or are you going to somehow spin youself into going along now that it's a Liberal policy?

Old 01-25-2010, 09:04 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,134,044 times
Why do these threads always seem to leave out the fact that a democrat controled congress passed the bills in the first place?
Its almost as if the OP's intentionally ignore the fact.
Oh let me guess Bush lied to them and tricked them into writing this waste.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:12 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,679,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Why do these threads always seem to leave out the fact that a democrat controled congress passed the bills in the first place?
Its almost as if the OP's intentionally ignore the fact.
Oh let me guess Bush lied to them and tricked them into writing this waste.

Good point and lets not forget this little tidbit.

"The bill was a bipartisan effort, with 40 Democrats, 33 Republicans and independent Joe Lieberman of Connecticut voting for it. The two presidential nominees, Democrat Barack Obama and Republican John McCain, returned from the campaign trail to vote for the plan."

Bailout Bill Sent Back to House After Senate Passage (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

Old 01-25-2010, 09:13 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,653,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
No, you're wrong. Many conservatives spoke out against it when President Bush originally proposed it, and when Congress authorized it, and when President Obama increased it. Conservatives have been consistent about speaking against it. So let me ask you; as a liberal Democrat, who probably spoke out against it when President Bush proposed the original TARP, are you going to be consistent and speak out against President Obama and his cowtowing Congress increasing that spending and bailout program, or are you going to somehow spin youself into going along now that it's a Liberal policy?
As a LIBERAL TARP makes me sick and I have said so constantly. Look at prior post if you want. As far as I am concerned Bank of America and GM can go to hell. There is NOBODY "too big to fail" in a capitalist economy. I am furious about TARP and have told both my Senators to not vote for that lyin ass Ben Bernanke. He needs to go. If Obama is too friggin dumb to see the DAMAGE this one man wreck has done to this country it may be time for Obama to go too. It is just that the Republicans are more idiotic lunatic than the bunch we have in there now. I would not give a dime for any of the Republicans. They are all weak and controlled by big business even more than the goddam Democrats are. Speaking as a LIBERAL who voted for Ronald Reagan and the first Bush, just because I am a LIBERAL does not always mean I am a Democrat. Although I cannot stand the current crop of religious nutcase Republicans, if they put somebody with a SPINE up that is not a kiss ass to corporate America or to the Christian Taliban, I MIGHT come around to think differently. If you think for a minute I am happy with the current crop of clowns running the circus now, I got news for you. I am quite unhappy. I may well stay home in 2010 for the first time ever.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:14 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,888,161 times
Also, did you forget that in January of 2009, just a couple weeks before his inauguration, President-Elect Obama asked President Bush to go to Congress and request the remaining $350billion in TARP funds, so it would be ready for him to spend as soon as he took office? It's not like he was loath to spend it and took months of deliberation before reluctantly deciding that he needed to give away more of our money. He wanted it in place as soon as he took office so he could continue a bad policy without delay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies