Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:25 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,266,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
No its not all I ever do but the attacking the poster and avoiding the topic is actually getting old. So I might do it more. But if you are getting told that a lot then maybe you should stop attacking people and actually talk about the topic at hand. Just a suggestion.
How rich considering you've done nothing but try to derail this thread.

Quote:
Now why do you care about Bristol going on a show you dont even watch? Why are you trying to imply something bad about her mother for an adult making a choice?

[/b]
The question I posed was in simple English. The Oprah Winfrey Show wasn't the important part about the question.

Let me try this one more time since apparently you don't feel the need to go back and actually read what I asked.

Sarah Palin's daughter made a promise to abstain from sex until she gets married. One that she made once before.

Personally I could give a flipping rip whether she has sex again in her life.

My point was this. Since 88% of those who make a commitment to abstain from sex fail in the process. Why on earth would she allow her daughter to go on national TV and make her intentions public? Keeping in mind that as the daughter of a major celebrity, she will be hounded by the press as a result?

Why not just keep it to yourself?

She has everything to lose by going public. How will it make her look if she fails again?

I feel for the kid because I think she's getting some bad advice here.

As to you publishing pregnancy rates...I am well aware of teen pregnancy rates. And here we have two public figures promoting a practice that fails 88% of the time.

I'd love for abstinence to work. But clearly it just doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 01:25 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,816,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Bristol is, what? 18? lives at home. mom helps take care of the baby... Mom was with her on the show. Sarah obviously had something to do with Bristol going on the show. She was there. If she didn't "make" her, she probably at least encouraged it, or supported the decision to go on Oprah. the only thing I ever remember Bristol saying up to now is that abstinence only education is not realistic for some people. I took that to mean herself, since she obviously didn't abstain. I find it interesting that now she is pledging to wait until marriage after having said that.
Maybe she realizes she made a mistake. Maybe she realizes she should have waited and now making the choice to wait till she is married. Maybe she doesnt feel like she should repeat the same mistakes

She is 19 the choice to be on this show lands on her

Old 01-26-2010, 01:34 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,188,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
See that's just it. This SHOULD be none of our business. But who's making it our business? Sarah and Bristol.

THAT is my point.

and all the folks laping it up because they just can not get enough of her,
I do not watch Oprah I find her replusivse, but she is exploting this girl just as much as her mother is.
folks hate Sarah Palin, but can not bare not to watch her
then yammer about how terrible she is
personally, Sarah Palin does not effect my life, she runs her mouth and makes a bundle while doing it because the folks that hate her, keep it going~

Old 01-26-2010, 01:36 PM

235 posts, read 509,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Bristol is, what? 18? lives at home. mom helps take care of the baby... Mom was with her on the show. Sarah obviously had something to do with Bristol going on the show. She was there. If she didn't "make" her, she probably at least encouraged it, or supported the decision to go on Oprah. the only thing I ever remember Bristol saying up to now is that abstinence only education is not realistic for some people. I took that to mean herself, since she obviously didn't abstain. I find it interesting that now she is pledging to wait until marriage after having said that.
Agreed. I actually respected her more when she came out and said abstinance only wasn't realistic for all people.

Quote:
Maybe she realizes she made a mistake. Maybe she realizes she should have waited and now making the choice to wait till she is married. Maybe she doesnt feel like she should repeat the same mistakes

She is 19 the choice to be on this show lands on her
I'm sure she does feel like she made a mistake. Not many kids would choose to become teen mothers. However, she's a perfect example of an abstinance only education not working. Her parents say that's what they taught her and she still ended up a teen mother. I'm all for Bristol sharing her story....and definitely would encourage her to tell other teens to wait, however, she knows herself that not all teens will, so why not teach them about safe sex as well.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
How rich considering you've done nothing but try to derail this thread.

The question I posed was in simple English. The Oprah Winfrey Show wasn't the important part about the question.

Let me try this one more time since apparently you don't feel the need to go back and actually read what I asked.

Sarah Palin's daughter made a promise to abstain from sex until she gets married. One that she made once before.

Personally I could give a flipping rip whether she has sex again in her life.

My point was this. Since 88% of those who make a commitment to abstain from sex fail in the process. Why on earth would she allow her daughter to go on national TV and make her intentions public? Keeping in mind that as the daughter of a major celebrity, she will be hounded by the press as a result?

Why not just keep it to yourself?

She has everything to lose by going public. How will it make her look if she fails again?

I feel for the kid because I think she's getting some bad advice here.

As to you publishing pregnancy rates...I am well aware of teen pregnancy rates. And here we have two public figures promoting a practice that fails 88% of the time.

I'd love for abstinence to work. But clearly it just doesn't.
-You said why would she allow her daughter to get on tv and say that. She cant stop her if thats what she wants to do. Maybe she an adult made the choice to appear on the show to help inform others and her mother actually supported her choice. That isnt possible though is it. Its all Sarahs fault shes on Oprah

-Maybe her daughter went on tv to get the message out to other teenagers or mothers how to talk to teenage girls and try and encourage them to not have sex before marriage.

as far as her saying she wants to wait to have sex again. We are humans and make mistakes. We are going to try and reach goals all our lives doesnt mean we arent going to fail to reach them right away or stumble trying to reach them. Maybe she realize she made a mistake. She knows what happens when you make the choice she made now. But darn it she said it once means she cant be serious about it this time. Guess people shouldnt talk about losing weight either because we dont always reach those goals at 1st try either. She made a choice. She is living with that choice. Doesnt mean she cant now make another choice

Yeah you feel for her but start this thread.

So lets not try and tell teenagers what can happen when you have sex because they might fail. Great logic there.

Lets not talk about abstinence because it doesnt always work. More great logic.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:40 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,389,006 times
Quote:
Can you imagine how quickly the RW loons around here would get their collective granny panties in a wad if a democrat pulled this stunt?
It would be feeding frenzy! There was another thread slamming Obama because of a picture with feet resting on his desk. Luckily, someone posted a picture of Bush doing the same thing. The things that the RWers come up with are amazing.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:41 PM

146 posts, read 149,174 times
This thread makes me laugh. Meanwhile when Oprah was in Denmark she used that opportunity to pimp herself out to get footage for one of her shows so she can be the usual Obama shill that she is and drool all over the way the Danes live.... Oprah is the bigger dope.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGMetroWest View Post
Agreed. I actually respected her more when she came out and said abstinance only wasn't realistic for all people.

I'm sure she does feel like she made a mistake. Not many kids would choose to become teen mothers. However, she's a perfect example of an abstinance only education not working. Her parents say that's what they taught her and she still ended up a teen mother. I'm all for Bristol sharing her story....and definitely would encourage her to tell other teens to wait, however, she knows herself that not all teens will, so why not teach them about safe sex as well.
We dont know that they didnt teach her about the rest of things to do with sex but promoted abstinence.

Plus I doubt she didnt know what birth control was in this day and age as is. We didnt have the teens out there talking about it either like we do now either. Heck you didnt have a show based on teens being parents as I was growing up.

Look at the girls in Mass with the pack they made to have babies.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:42 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,389,006 times
Quote:
Really? So she forced an adult to do something they didnt want to do.

Do you even realize how that sounds

You all need to stop using her daughters choices as a reason to attack her
Then why didn't she go on the show alone? She is an adult. Why did she need her mommy.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:47 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,266,835 times
Quote:
-You said why would she allow her daughter to get on tv and say that. She cant stop her if thats what she wants to do. Maybe she an adult made the choice to appear on the show to help inform others and her mother actually supported her choice. That isnt possible though is it. Its all Sarahs fault shes on Oprah
Do you think she'd have been on Oprah had her mother not run for VP?

-
Quote:
Maybe her daughter went on tv to get the message out to other teenagers or mothers how to talk to teenage girls and try and encourage them to not have sex before marriage.
That worked so well the last time. Do you actually think she has an ounce of credibilty on the issue?

Abstinence is an absolute joke. It does not work. Sure it's noble. But in practice it fails 88% of the time. And I have to wonder if in fact it carries with it a HIGHER risk of pregnancy as a result. Bristol may well be a perfect example of that.

Quote:
as far as her saying she wants to wait to have sex again. We are humans and make mistakes. We are going to try and reach goals all our lives doesnt mean we arent going to fail to reach them right away or stumble trying to reach them. Maybe she realize she made a mistake.
Her mistake was magnified a million times because of her mother's status on the national scene. You'd think her mother would try to avoid a repeat of that at all costs. The press will eat her alive.

Quote:
Yeah you feel for her but start this thread.
Enlighten me. How does this thread negatively impact her?

Quote:
So lets not try and tell teenagers what can happen when you have sex because they might fail. Great logic there.
Sure thing. Go ahead and promote a practice that's 12% effective instead.

Quote:
Lets not talk about abstinence because it doesnt always work. More great logic.
Doesn't ALWAYS work?

It fails 88% of the time. Honestly, that's beyond failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies