Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:06 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Im sorry, Republicans have proven themselves to be just as fiscally reckless, if not MORE SO than Democrats.

In fact, there is no doubt whatsoever that the most fiscally responsible President since 1980 BY FAR is this guy:

Reagan, Bush and Bush spend money like it grew on trees.
When did I disagree with that? I do not trust the GOP to reduce spending right now either.

But we do need some checks and balances right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 11:07 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
We have thousands of dead soldiers on account of Bush's mouth.
how so???

Old 01-26-2010, 11:08 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Hmm... I think I will put your premise to the test and ask myself those questions...

Small business tax credit +favorable +aware
Most keep existing health plans +favorable +aware
Insurance exchange +favorable +aware
Expand medicaid -unfavorable +aware (states can't afford and neither can the federal government)
Guaranteed issue +favorable +aware
Close medicare donut hole -unfavorable +aware (unless its mandated that first line generics be used first, using more expensive drugs is a NO-NO)
25 and under plan +favorable +aware
Deficit reduction -unfavorable +aware (I know for a FACT it doesn't reduce the deficit, its a bunch of spin and lies)
Millionaire's tax +favorable +aware
Value limits +favorable +aware
Subsidies for 400% above poverty -unfavorable +aware (that's way TOO high)
Cover 31 million uninsured +favorable +aware
Tax on insurer's, drug makers +favorable +aware
No fed funding for abortions +favorable +aware (although the bill is FOR abortion funding)
Limit age rating +favorable +aware
No coverage for illegals -unfavorable +aware (they are going to need healthcare)
Public option -unfavorable +aware
Ban gender rating +favorable +aware
Increase Medicare tax -unfavorable +aware
Ban lifetime limits +favorable +aware
Employer mandate +favorable +aware
Limit Medicare payments -unfavorable +aware (unless they are talking about Medicare advantage which would change my answer)
Cadillac tax +favorable +aware
Minimum benefits package +favorable +aware
Delayed implementation -unfavorable +aware (I rather it start now)
Costs $871 billion -unfavorable +aware (too much fraud and abuse)
Individual mandate +unfavorable +aware

17 favorable 10 unfavorable - by your definition, I would be FOR the healthcare plan... unfortunately your theory is incorrect therefore your premise is also incorrect... you did forget to mention about the Cornhusker clause, the union clause, the Medicare Advantage for only SOME seniors, as well as a wealth of negatives.. but its nice when you leave out "other" choices that would of skewed the poll to the negative... nice try, find some other liberal to fool

Old 01-26-2010, 11:08 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but from the following stenence I assume you are talking about clinton....who nearly doubled the national debt from 3.1 trillion to 5.87 trillion
And Reagan outspent all 39 of his predecessors combined.

There is no comparison. Bill Clinton left this country in the best shape of any outgoing president in the last 30 years. George W Bush left us near economic depression.

How quickly we forget. Or should I say, how quickly we deny.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:11 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
how so???
How didnt he?

We went to war, correction. WE INVADED a sovereign nation that posed NO THREAT whatsoever to the United States. IRAQ HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH 9/11 and they had NO WMDs.

But Bush insisted all of these things and we now know they were LIES.

We have NOTHING to show for Iraq but thousands of dead soldiers. Thanks for nothing.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
And Reagan outspent all 39 of his predecessors combined.

There is no comparison. Bill Clinton left this country in the best shape of any outgoing president in the last 30 years. George W Bush left us near economic depression.

How quickly we forget. Or should I say, how quickly we deny.
I am not defending reagan or bush...but to put clinton on a pedistal...not a chance

national debt when clinton took office 3.1 trillion
national debt when clinton left office 5.87 trillion...nearly double

CONGRESS not the POTUS ballanced the budget, and they did it by CUTTING the government...400,000 government eployees recieved pink slips...drastic cuts to infrastructure (8 years in a row from 1993-2000 the Department of Transportaion approprations budget was CUT)

wake up and smell the manure you are shovelling,,,we need another Harry Truman, not a POS like clinton

Old 01-26-2010, 11:14 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Kaiser obviously stands to profit from the subsidies and employer mandates. They're hardly an unbiased source as their industry has been lobbying for the bills. Almost all of the provisions are presented without explanation and in the most favorable light. Most of the provisions would add to insurance costs for employees. Some of the provisions are just plain wrong, such as reducing the deficit.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
How didnt he?

We went to war, correction. WE INVADED a sovereign nation that posed NO THREAT whatsoever to the United States. IRAQ HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH 9/11 and they had NO WMDs.

But Bush insisted all of these things and we now know they were LIES.

We have NOTHING to show for Iraq but thousands of dead soldiers. Thanks for nothing.

Quote:
"""WE INVADED a sovereign nation that posed NO THREAT whatsoever to the United States""""
...............not according to CONGRESS

"We stopped the fighting [in 1991] on an agreement that Iraq would take steps to assure the world that it would not engage in further aggression and that it would destroy its weapons of mass destruction. It has refused to take those steps. That refusal constitutes a breach of the armistice which renders it void and justifies resumption of the armed conflict."
Senator Harry Reid (Democrat, Nevada)
Addressing the US Senate
October 9, 2002
Congressional Record, p. S10145

Quote:
IRAQ HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH 9/11
... no ine ever said they had anything to do with 9/11

we did say they were harbering and supporting alqueada

US State Department
November 4, 1999

Bin Laden, Atef Indicted in U.S. Federal Court for African Bombings

New York -- Usama bin Laden and Muhammad Atef were indicted November 4 in Manhattan federal court for the August 7 bombings of the US embassies in Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and for conspiring to kill Americans outside the United States.

Bin Laden's "al Qaeda" organization functioned both on its own and through other terrorist organizations, including the Al Jihad group based in Egypt, the Islamic Group also known as el Gamaa Islamia led at one time by Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman, and a number of other jihad groups in countries such as Sudan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, and Somalia.

Bin Laden, the US Attorney charged, engaged in business transactions on behalf of Al Qaeda, including purchasing warehouses for storage of explosives, transporting weapons, and establishing a series of companies in Sudan to provide income to al Qaeda and as a cover for the procurement of explosives, weapons, and chemicals, and for the travel of operatives.

According to the indictment, bin Laden and al Qaeda forged alliances with the National Islamic Front in Sudan and with representatives of the Government of Iran and its associated terrorist group Hezballah with the goal of working together against their common enemies in the West, particularly the United States.

"In addition, al Qaeda reached an understanding with the Government of Iraq that al Qaeda would not work against that government and that on particular projects, specifically including weapons development, al Qaeda would work cooperatively with the Government of Iraq," the indictment said. Beginning in 1992, bin Laden allegedly issued through his "fatwah" committees a series of escalating "fatwahs" against the United States, certain military personnel, and, eventually in February 1998, a "fatwah" stating that Muslims should kill Americans -- including civilians -- anywhere in the world they can be found.
--------------

Quote:
they had NO WMDs
"As a member of the House Intelligence Committee, I am keenly aware that the proliferation of chemical and biological weapons is an issue of grave importance to all nations. Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."

Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi (Democrat, California)
Statement on US Led Military Strike Against Iraq
December 16, 1999

I come to this debate, Mr. Speaker, as one at the end of 10 years in office on the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, where stopping the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction was one of my top priorities. I applaud the President on focusing on this issue and on taking the lead to disarm Saddam Hussein. ... Others have talked about this threat that is posed by Saddam Hussein. Yes, he has chemical weapons, he has biological weapons, he is trying to get nuclear weapons."

Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi (Democrat, California)
Addressing the US House of Representatives
October 10, 2002
Congressional Record, p. H7777

quit your FALSE spinning

Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Or, it could be said that Democrats have done a terrible job at selling thier plan to the consituency.

Do you concede as much, or is this the fault of the Republican minority and conservative media, who by some stretch of the imagination, have some magical sway over Independent voters?
Oh there is no doubt the Democrats have let the GOP drive the discussion - and THAT highlights a real problem in the Democratic camp. Also, as mentioned previously the Democrats have not been able to agree among themselves (reflecting the "big tent" approach the Democrats typically use). Part of this difficulting in bringing all the Democrats together is understandable - the fact is healthcare reform is a REALLY DIFFICULT issue. This is why Presidents from Truman to Nixon to Clinton have ALL failed at it.

Ken

Old 01-26-2010, 11:57 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
The problem is that no one really cares. Most people have already made up their mind on what's in the bill (though many have not read it) and how everyone else feels about it (usually matching how the person feels about it) based on fear based propaganda filled with lies. Even when the lies are outed, instead of questioning their own beliefs many just start the screaming and ad hominem attacks against the evil partisan conspiracies.

I would rather the bill get tempered a bit more to make it better then it is, but it's still better then the nothing we have now. Especially that the GOP has decided to just say no to the bill instead of actually figuring out a solution or presenting a counter solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies