Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:39 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
"Decent" is a relative term.
You are right, it is. I tip 15%-25%, depending on service. There has been a rare occasion of terrible service in which I will leave 10%. I have worked in the service industry, and let me tell you it's not easy. For those posters claiming that servers are making $600 a night are on Crack. When I was working, if I walked out with $100 it was an awesome night, nomal was 50-65 working 3 days a week. Do the math, I wasn't living a life of opulence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 03:41 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
Your problem is with the restaurant industry who has allowed this to happen, not with the customers. IMO, it would be a lot more productive to direct the frustration there. So instead of asking "why don't you tip?" how about asking "why do restaurant owners think it's okay to NOT pay their employees?"

I personally hate how tips have become expected because it doesn't help service. It doesn't matter how the service is, people expect a tip. You could be terrible but instead of looking at yourself, you want to blame someone for being black, or cheap, or a tight wad.

And now it's not just the restaurants. If I go to a salon they want to be tipped. I just spent $200, I don't want to pay anything extra. If you need that extra money then add it to your price and don't make me feel like I am being drained.

If I get a coffee, there is their little tip jar. Why do we tip the taxi drivers again? Next we'll be tipping the cashiers at Target.

As for the last comment, that argument could be countered with "don't like that people don't like to tip? Get a job that actually pays or start lobbying for some changes". That mostly applies to restaurants. Everyone else needs to stop being so greedy, or just raise your prices and leave this tip business alone.
Exactly! I also get annoyed with having to pay tips when I spent a fortune getting my hair done or riding a taxi. If waitstaff do not like being depended upon the generousity of their patrons, then lobby for fair wages and quit insulting customers who owe you NOTHING in terms of tips!

Old 01-26-2010, 03:41 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I have heard you have to tip out the bussers also.
Generally. Hosts/Hostesses and, depending on the format of the restaurant, sometimes bar staff, as well.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ok, you resent the tipping, but what about the countries that add an auto service charge? Which is better, tipping or being forced to pay? Now, there is still another option, the restaurants can up their prices and pay their help better, but again, we are still paying for it. What about the cruise ships that now charge a mandatory $10 to $13 a day per person tips? Would you go to the purser and demand they remove that from your billl?

Nita
I'd just stop using services where tipping is mandated.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Excuse me, there socio-economic status? What a load of bull. If you have money to go out and eat, you better have money for a decent tip. That's what my parents instilled in me, as I do my own children. Don't wanna tip, go to Chipotle.
Paying an arm and leg for an expensive restaurant should be the extent of the dining bill. Tipping is optional based upon the level of service.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Black and Indian people are terrible tippers.

Hispanic people and gay men are great tippers.

For all of those who don't see the big deal about tipping, go work as a server for one day. Just one.

Tipping is part of eating out a restaurant. I don't tip servers who don't do their jobs, but those who do them well, I tip, usually on the order of 25%-30%.

Don't take your frustrations at being asked to tip everywhere out on hard-working servers. If you aren't going to tip well, don't eat out.

I'm not saying tip automatically. I tip very well for servers who do their jobs well, but I am not shy about letting a bad waiter know it, either.
Not all servers are hard working, especially those who reduce service levels for patrons that they assume they will not receive tips from. It is the restaurant's responsibility to pay servers fair wages and the patron's responsibility to pay their tab. Anything else is a gift awarded for excellent service; if it is forced, it ain't a tip. End of discussion.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:47 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Paying an arm and leg for an expensive restaurant should be the extent of the dining bill. Tipping is optional based upon the level of service.
I normally tip 15 to 20 % if the service/meal were good. The game changes based on the quality of service or the food.
Another factor for me. If I am eating in a resturant in the USA I expect my waiter/waitress to speak english. If they don't or cant? No tip

Old 01-26-2010, 03:47 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
If you go out to eat, and the average bill is $200 bucks and the average tip 20%, one table tips 40 bucks.

So they serve 5 tables and 4 tables tipped 40, and one table tipped 10 bucks.

Ok so one table is the cheapo table but you still earned - $180 in tips in one hour.

You have a 4 hour shift (I don't know what the average shift is) but you just earned $680 dollars.

If you're earning 680 per day in tips bringing food to a table...go cry a river elsewhere.

Ever heard of "tip out"?

Didn't think so.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
It's a flawed system, to be sure, but it's the system that exists. Tipping is simply the 'done' thing, and until it isn't, and until service employees are paid accordingly, it should be factored into the cost of eating out by those who CHOOSE to do so.
Until the restaurant industry decides to pay their employees fair wages, it is the PATRON's responsibility? I don't think so.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
And the fact that some people don't tip or tip what you consider to be a bad tip should be factored into the cost when people CHOOSE to have a certain job.

So, stop griping about the customers, and start lobbying for fair wages. You aren't going to be paid accordingly by constantly getting into this "I hate when people don't tip" argument. Ok, great, but at the end of the day your fat cat boss is still getting paid. Why aren't you?
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies