Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,658,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
You bet!
And I hate to see that too -- some blacks leaving bigger than average tips. They should not have to do that.

But - every waiter and waitress loves a big tipper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 10:43 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,544,348 times
Black people, or as they are called in the restaurant biz "Canadians", are pretty often poor tippers. Not always, but a good amount of the time.

The other usual suspects include, but aren't limited too:

Very old people
Middle aged women who want all separate checks when out with their girlfriends
Indians
Any foreign person visiting our country from overseas.
People who drink White Zinfandel

Of course there are exceptions to all these rules.

The best tippers are:
Gays
middle aged businessmen
other servers/bartenders

Old 01-31-2010, 11:04 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,223,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Let's keep it simple.

When you are in OR are brought up in an environment where money is tight and you tend to hold on to every cent you have in order to eat and pay the bills - you are not used to giving out extra money - especially when you never get extra money.
Then you wouldn't have to worry about tipping, because you shouldn't be going out to eat (in places where tips are expected) if money is that tight. I know when I was growing up, we only went out to eat for a special occassion maybe once or twice a year. That even includes fast food places! We didn't have the money to waste on going out to eat. If you don't have the money to spend a small percentage on a tip, then you really shouldn't be going out to eat in the first place.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:51 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,223,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I don't think race plays a role in who tips well. Circumstances, location, and satisfaction with service are far more pertinent. Blacks are likely to be routinely given inferior service to that of whites in many places around the country, and I don't blame them for tipping accordingly. After all, they deserve the same level of quality service as anyone else. In restaurants for instance, blacks may not be given the best seats, seated near the bathroom or the noisy kitchen. Or blacks may not be waited on as promptly as their white counterparts. Service may not be as respectful or as enthusiatic as it is with others. I have friends (white and asian) who never tip.
I disagree. At least from my perspective from when I used to be a server, I would actually give better service to black customers, usually because they were more demanding. Many times, I would have to spend more time with their table answering questions about how much does this and that cost, and does such and such come with the meal, etc. You know when they start asking up front about what comes free with the meal, then you probably won't get much of a tip, if any. Still, I treated the table as I would any other. Being pleasant, friendly, answering all questions, making endless runs for "free" refills, bringing extra straws, more "free" bread. I've even loaded em up with extra sides to make them happy (which I really should not have done).

They laughed with me, we had great interchanges, they were happy with the meal and the extras I provided. I thought for sure, they would give me a tip. NOPE. Not a dime. My fellow black co-workers were even leery about waiting on other blacks after experiencing the lack of tips they provided. I've had black families like my services so much, that they would ask to sit at my tables. I would cringe, knowing that I was actually losing money by waiting on them (since I would still have to pay taxes on a tip I did not receive), but I would do my job with a smile. Of course ALL black people are not like that, but there is high enough of a percentage to make it a stereotype.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:50 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,912,776 times
Interesting topic. I've worked in the restaurant industry for a few years off and on and in my state the minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13. You are only qualified to give an opinion on race and tipping if you've waited hundreds and thousands of tables and can see the trends. As a whole, black people do not tip as well as white people. But there are some really great exceptions and I have to say that while some of my worst tips have come from them, some of my best have as well.

On average if I have 10 black families that come in, 2 will leave me an outstanding tip (the best of the evening percentage-wise sometimes), 6 will leave somewhere between 5% and 15% tips, and 2 will stiff me altogether. For every 10 white families that come in 9 will leave 15-20% or a little more. Perhaps 5% will leave an outstanding tip 25%+, and the other 5% might stiff me. Obviously I don't keep a journal at work to get these numbers from but I think after all this time on the job I have a pretty good feel of the situation.

Of course I'm ignoring single diners, other service industry employees, and other races in my estimate. I give great service initially to all no matter their color, because soon after some interaction I can usually tell if they will try to take advantage of me and not tip. If a table is blatantly rude to me I will give them inferior service. When I'm introducing myself (no, I don't have a long-winded 30 second greeting) and am interrupted with shouts for "water!" or "coke!" for example, i try to get them out as fast as possible and don't bother with other "pleasantries" such as drink refills.

And if you don't like the current tipping system-great I don't either! But take it out on the corporations not your server which might be a single mom or a college student.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:00 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,458,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Yes. Are you?

Of course, each customer takes a certain minimum amount of attention and effort... unless you and your wife want to also share one set of silverware, china, and drink from the same water glass. And even then, that one water glass will need to be refilled twice as often.

Absolutely ridiculous, I do not agree. The idea is to provide service, no resent the guest who is essentially giving you a job/paying your bills. If somebody wanted something split, I'd split it for them table side, cutting the steak in half, and smile about it. I've had couples who didn't want to drink an entire glass of wine, so I split it into two glasses for them. The idea is to accommodate the guest within reason. If they are asking to share entrees, then who cares? It's hardly more work, it's part of the job.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:07 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,458,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I've learned to be selfish with regards to receiving service. If I receive great service, I remember that server's name and only request him or her. I will wait if I have to. If everyone started doing this, then the bad or lazy servers would start to realize that no one wants their table for a reason.
This is actually job security for a waiter and generally a measure of how well they do their job within the business. I knew a waitress once who had over 330 "Call Parties" (People who ask specifically for her when they make a reservation.) That's nearly a call party for every day of the year-that in itself was phenomenal. Often, when a server with many call parties leaves to work somewhere else, they will follow that server. Same with bartenders. The more call parties a server has, (generally) the more secure his/her job becomes.

Call parties almost always are almost always easier: They always get the same thing, are more forgiving if things take longer (kitchen problems etc) and usually tip very well. Once a waiter establishes a solid customer base their job becomes a lot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post

I listen to ESPN's Colin Cowherd and he was discussing poor service in restaurants. Apparently, if you split a dish then waiters expect you to tip as if each of you ordered that dish for yourself. So if you split a $30 dish, you are expected to tip as if you ordered 2 $30 dishes or $60. This is the example of the sense of entitlement that some waiters have today and why service in restaurants is worse than what it was in the past.
This is not true. I've never heard a waiter expect that, EVER.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:30 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,432,426 times
My take on this subject, if your going out, to have a nice dinner, you don't have to cook, clean, or serve yourself and the family for one night, that in itself, is a joy to me. I believe in giving a good tip for good service, still tip for bad service, but at around only 10% if the service is really bad. I am beginning to think, my husband and i tip too good, no wonder why the waitresses love us. We have no problem for good service going 25%, or more. Common decency, tells you if the service and the food, and the ambiance, are all good, let them know it, they know if it is bad, by your tips. Don't want to make this a race issue either, but i do know many waitresses, and servers, at some fancy Restaurants in Calif, from what i have heard, very few Blacks, do tip as White's do, not kidding. really this is what i have been told. But also, older couples, do not tip that well to. I think it is fair to say, that there are good tippers, compare to bad tippers, and leave the race issue out of it. But in all honestly, i have sincerely heard, that Balcks, are not the best tippers around, and demanding, and sometimes rude. But i am also sure that whites can be just as rude. I think every one has there own take, on what they themselves think a good tip is, and isn't. I just believe, that good service, and good food, go hand and hand with a nice tip. Your also remembered by your good tip. If your not the one cooking, serving, cleaning the pots and pans, the mess, think about that, the next time you don't want to tip well.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:09 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,785,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Black people, or as they are called in the restaurant biz "Canadians", are pretty often poor tippers. Not always, but a good amount of the time.

The other usual suspects include, but aren't limited too:

Very old people
Middle aged women who want all separate checks when out with their girlfriends
Indians
Any foreign person visiting our country from overseas.
People who drink White Zinfandel

Of course there are exceptions to all these rules.

The best tippers are:
Gays
middle aged businessmen
other servers/bartenders

this is a correct assessment as far as groups that tip and don't...this is not to judge anyone specifically but in general these are just the facts...doesnt make me a racist to say the truth ...i cant control who tips....thanx for the breakdown..this is exactly the order that usually are good and bad tippers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies