Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you watching/did you watch the State of the Union?
Yes - I'm left wing 49 44.95%
Yes - I'm right wing 45 41.28%
No - I'm left wing 5 4.59%
No - I'm right wing 10 9.17%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
My issue is when you start to regular banks you mess with the entire cycle of business BUT we should also let them fail if they mess up. I know my bank had ZERO issues because they did not take risks so there was no need to bail them out. If a business can not run itself effectively they should fail.

I have two issues with his speech. First he needs to stop placing blame on the past. Second, he needs to mean it about working with Repubs because up until now he has not. The Dems have had closed door deals and it is very hard to give your ideas when you are on the other side of the door.

If he follows through on even 5 of the things he said I will praise him from the roof tops. I don't want him to fail because that means our country fails and we look weak and stupid to the rest of the world not something I want.

That is what bugs me about him, he can still place the blame on we know who, but i never hear him, take blame for the things that he has done wrong. He constantly brings that up, what he inherited. He has a funny way of showing the Repubs, he really wants them to work with them, when there has been backroom deals, closed door sessions, he has got to mean what he says, not just talk. I to truly deep down do not want him to fail, cause that means We as a Country have failed. And the rest of the world will look down upon us. I want him to make good on his Promises, and deliver, instead of giving us some good one liners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 10:47 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I couldn't stand looking at Biden in the background with his fake ass "caring" smile either. Made me want to puke... and Pelosi... ugh, thats another story.
They really should move them to the side or something. I was distracted by Biden itching his scalp and noticed they
both blink a lot

Old 01-27-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Yep. Obama seemed to try to come out smelling like a rose, while dumping on everyone else in Washington. In his speeches, it is always about "him", never about the American people.

That's our Boy, NOT, always seems to come out smelling like a ROSE. He seemed to have dumped on everyone in Washington tonight. When will he start to accept some of this blame.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I just wasn't all that impressed with the speech.

He gives a good speech. I acknowledge that. But I thought the substance was hollow. Maybe i'm just Obama-fatigued.

I agree with you, he can give a good speech, with good words, we want to hear. That is not the issue! Can and will he deliver, what he preaches. Perhaps it was too little to late, and why! I think the Dems, are shaking in there own skin. They are sacred, after Mass. He needs to accept the mess that we are in, stop blaming others, and deal with what is at hand, our Mess. He is almost to believable. And look where that has gotten him in the past.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:01 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I thought tonight's speech was one of the best State of The Union speeches I ever heard.

I personally would give Obama a 10.

He seemed to touch on every area that mattered, and spoke to both sides of the isle.

What was your opinion of Obama's speech - with 10 being the best, 1 being the worst?

This is a public poll.
Full speed ahead said the captain of the Titanic!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:03 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,114 times
nothing but rhetoric

Old 01-27-2010, 11:03 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Obama does speak well I'll give the guy that, but I have yet to see real, effective results,
Then you haven't been paying attention.

Quote:
While on the campaign trail, Barack Obama made hundreds of promises. And throughout the president's first year in office, the Pulitzer Prize-winning Web site PolitiFact has tracked each one of those commitments.

Just before Obama took office, PolitiFact combed through campaign documents, speeches and debate transcripts to see what promises he had made. They found more than 500 individual promises and put each of them into a database to be monitored closely.
They found 91 promises have been fulfilled, 33 compromised on, 87 stalled and 14 broken. The remaining promises are designated as being "in the works."

PolitiFact | The Obameter: Obama's Campaign Promises that are Promise Kept

Old 01-27-2010, 11:04 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
SSDD - Same Speech Different Day

Old 01-27-2010, 11:05 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
nothing but rhetoric
Obama is relying on rhetoric, not well versed on topocs, and has no idea what he is talking about.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:08 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
jumped up to give a standing ovation anytime your president uttered a multi-syllabic word.
At least the President is intelligent and articulate enough to use and understand what a multi-syllabic word is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies