Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you watching/did you watch the State of the Union?
Yes - I'm left wing 49 44.95%
Yes - I'm right wing 45 41.28%
No - I'm left wing 5 4.59%
No - I'm right wing 10 9.17%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 07:32 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
How was it classless?

He said with all due respect to separation of powers, he disagreed with the ruling. Thats like saying others disagree with the President, or that the President disagrees with congress.

Its not disrespectful.

Then, he urged congress to pass a law that would limit campaign finance from corporations and foreign interests.

I agree with the Supreme courts decision that McCain Feingold was unconstitutional, however, nothing wrong with the President asking congress to fix the loop hole either.
It is disrespectful in the same manner the dems claim that a congressman shouting out "You Lie" during a presidential speach is disrespectful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 07:35 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
Where was the outrage from the right when it happen?

And since when is it not OK for one branch of government to disagree with another branch given that it was his turn to speak.
There is a time and place for all things and that was not the time nor the place.

I said that Wilson was wrong for what he did but so are democrats and republicans when they jump up and down clapping. That is also against protocol.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:35 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
The Prez's presentation was pretty good, except for the swipe at the Supreme Court. The duration was a bit long.

As for content, as I predicted, "If you come to fork in the road, take it." He was all over the place. To be fair, most State of the Unions are fluff fests.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:36 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
what an jerk to humilate the court like that in front of the whole house, how is this any different from someone yelling "You lie"???
Why is he a jerk...what about the person spreading lies?

The chief justice was just acting human and kept respectful by not shouting out loud....

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
But yelling "You lie" in the middle of the POTUS speech is much better?
NO, it is on a par. If you decry one, you must not defend the other. It just shows your partisan leanings.

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Look up Reagan's first state of the union address. All he did was hammer the democrats, blaming them for all the mess he inherited.

What's different?

To me, the only thing that's different is people did not accuse Reagan of 'talking out of both sides of his butt'. How crude.
Well, there is one difference: Reagan is dead and buried, and his first SOTU was given thirty years ago, whereas Obama is the current president, and everything he says impacts us all, here and now. Other than that, what you say is pretty much right on, aside from the personal remarks about the OP.

It's reassuring that such acute intelligence is brought to bear on current issues...

Old 01-28-2010, 07:37 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
what an jerk to humilate the court like that in front of the whole house, how is this any different from someone yelling "You lie"???
Both were wrong. But how does one wrong (you lie) make what the POTUS did justifiable? This one incident proved he does not have a clue how to be the POTUS. So tired of this gotcha game. Wrong is wrong.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:40 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
As a "The Office" addict, everyone on TV reminds me of Michael Scott to me, anyway. And never more than Mr. Obama last night.

"Listen up, people. It's no longer Yes We Can. As of tonight it's Well We Might."

Old 01-28-2010, 07:43 AM

529 posts, read 1,300,833 times
I'd get aggravated if I watch it, so I rather get the summary of the newspaper later.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:43 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito made a dismissive face, shook his head repeatedly and appeared to mouth the words "not true" or possibly "simply not true" as Obama spoke.

FOXNews.com - Justice Mouths 'Not True' as Obama Slams Court

Obama is clearly not making any friends with the lies he is telling...

Btw. the girl was sitting last time next to his wife, when Obama told the whole Nation how he would provide for her school, etc...has moved to Atlanta since the school couldn't be afforded anymore and the parent lost their job...sad, but Obama isn't stating things like that...of course not
That is the polite way of saying "You lie!" but he did lie.

0bama stated that the supreme court ruling opens the flood gates for foreign corporations to spend without limits in our elections, this is not true. Foreign corporations are not entitled to America's free speech rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies